SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#507507 - 01/26/23 02:31 PM OT: Music Store Closing
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
My brother who is the current owner of Hawk Music has received a letter from Westgate Mall ownership, that he has 30 days to move out. Turns out the old Westgate Mall is going to be mostly demolished including the music store area location.

No help offered from the big corporation mall owner in assisting store owners to relocate, and selling of liquidations. Speaking of, his store is rather well stocked with guitars strings, trumpets, clarinets, etc. etc. that he now has to sell quickly. Moving to another location is not in the plans.

30 days is not a lot of time to sell or help relocate teachers and students, and realistically moving is most likely off the table. So a lawyer friend has sent a letter requesting an extension to 90 days. As of now we have heard nothing.

The thing is, we are all unsure weather to move to another location or just end it altogether. The easiest part will be selling current instrument stock. Already had some offers from other local store and private buyers. But what's concerning is the music teachers who will loose that little extra income, students who will have to find a new teacher, High School and those that rent instruments will of course be over. Mot to mention, my brother and another tech were awesome at instrument repairs, at a fair price, that will also end.

This June 2023 was going to be year 50 for Hawk Music at Westgate Mall, started by my father who took a huge gamble in 1973. It was THE store to go to for Martin, Sigma, Rickenbacker, Fender, and many other brand guitars, a huge selection of stings with installation and repairs available. Band Instruments, and rentals and at one point we had over 300 students and I dare say the best musical teachers in the area.

The end of 50 years in the Music business is over. Soon the hours working and hanging out there will be just a happy memory. It's a sign of the times, as big box / mon and pop Stores, are becoming a thing of the past. I suppose everything is replaceable and has to end sometime, but to end suddenly like this is just sad.

Thanks for reading. Lots of long time customers and friends have been in contact with Hawk Music showing support. That's a wonderful thing Hawk Music Website

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#507508 - 01/26/23 03:26 PM Re: OT: Music Store Closing [Re: lahawk]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Larry,
I just went through almost the same situation last year. I had my store since 1970 and decided a few years before I closed that when my lease was up I was going to retire. As many members here know I was a full line music store. I was so worried I wouldn't be able to sell all my inventory before closing but with the supply chain issues I had stores calling wanting to buy whatever I had left on my closing date and I didn't have to sell at a lower price then I was offering my customers.
All my teachers had been teaching remotely during the covid shut downs and they were able to continue to keep their students either teaching from home or remotely or going to students homes. Since closing my store, and I'm in the Los Angeles area, there have been many stores closing their doors permanently over the past year. I know I closed at the right time. It seems that most sales these days are being done more and more through internet stores. The way we do business these days is nothing like the past decades. Good luck in how this all works out for you and your family. I will say I'm really enjoying my retirement!
George Kaye
(Kaye's Music Scene, Reseda, California 1970-2021)
(Retired 2021)

#507509 - 01/26/23 06:14 PM Re: OT: Music Store Closing [Re: George Kaye]
lahawk Offline

Thanks George,

I'm already retired . My younger brother who runs the store MAY continue in another location. He just loves the business. It's totally his decision.

Same deal here. We have supply chains and surviving music stores who want to help by purchasing any unsold goods. The amount of support is awesome.

It's still sad, but life goes on.

Glad you're enjoying retirement. You were a big help to many of us when we had lots of questions. Take care

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#507516 - 01/27/23 11:22 AM Re: OT: Music Store Closing [Re: lahawk]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Two good guys, here. Sadly, the music business has changed dramatically. I invested in a store in Lexington in 1965 that became the biggest and most successful in the area. The owner was a long-time trumpet player, and set his store up to be friendly to musicians.

I bought every piece of equipment I needed from him from 1960 until the store closed, due to fighting (and a touch of dishonesty)in 2019.

Nothing like trusting your supplier. The first instruments I bought from
a different source were purchased from George.

Best of luck to all of you!

R.

#507517 - 01/27/23 12:18 PM Re: OT: Music Store Closing [Re: lahawk]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Sorry to hear that Larry. That’s horrible they gave you’re bother such short notice..
I hope he, his employees and teachers get back to work soon.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#507519 - 01/28/23 09:35 AM Re: OT: Music Store Closing [Re: lahawk]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Well... we can think about reasons why it happens... But in the same time it's considered to be normal when the state or someone else supports and protects art, culture and education. And music stores are about all those things, but they are treated just as common stores. When scientists and doctors are concerned about extensive screentime and dependency on social media, especially when it comes to children, well, there won't be any exceptions for music stores, it will be considered just as any other business... Although, while I was writing it I started to think about this idea, that maybe it is some kind of an option for music stores in future to become a part of educational facilities, but in my experience these "educational facilities" tend to become some sort of "cults" and neither flexible nor hospitable enough to become more alike with a nice music store; but my experiences are local and limited. 

#507521 - 01/28/23 04:18 PM Re: OT: Music Store Closing [Re: lahawk]
lahawk Offline

Thanks for the replies. Support has been fantastic from customers to students to outside vendors and retailers all wanting to somehow help. People do care.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online