My brother who is the current owner of Hawk Music has received a letter from Westgate Mall ownership, that he has 30 days to move out. Turns out the old Westgate Mall is going to be mostly demolished including the music store area location.

No help offered from the big corporation mall owner in assisting store owners to relocate, and selling of liquidations. Speaking of, his store is rather well stocked with guitars strings, trumpets, clarinets, etc. etc. that he now has to sell quickly. Moving to another location is not in the plans.

30 days is not a lot of time to sell or help relocate teachers and students, and realistically moving is most likely off the table. So a lawyer friend has sent a letter requesting an extension to 90 days. As of now we have heard nothing.

The thing is, we are all unsure weather to move to another location or just end it altogether. The easiest part will be selling current instrument stock. Already had some offers from other local store and private buyers. But what's concerning is the music teachers who will loose that little extra income, students who will have to find a new teacher, High School and those that rent instruments will of course be over. Mot to mention, my brother and another tech were awesome at instrument repairs, at a fair price, that will also end.

This June 2023 was going to be year 50 for Hawk Music at Westgate Mall, started by my father who took a huge gamble in 1973. It was THE store to go to for Martin, Sigma, Rickenbacker, Fender, and many other brand guitars, a huge selection of stings with installation and repairs available. Band Instruments, and rentals and at one point we had over 300 students and I dare say the best musical teachers in the area.

The end of 50 years in the Music business is over. Soon the hours working and hanging out there will be just a happy memory. It's a sign of the times, as big box / mon and pop Stores, are becoming a thing of the past. I suppose everything is replaceable and has to end sometime, but to end suddenly like this is just sad.

Thanks for reading. Lots of long time customers and friends have been in contact with Hawk Music showing support. That's a wonderful thing Hawk Music Website

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900