SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#506107 - 07/07/22 12:17 AM pax5 vs genos
dud Offline

Loc: israel
now that Korg have the pax5 with fantastic sounds and styles, but not so good in drums and bass guitar, i think that yamaha should raise the bar with new system and new pack of sounds and styles to Genos and his little brotheres or some of us will move from Genos to Pax5
what do you think?

Edited by dud (07/07/22 02:19 AM)

#506108 - 07/07/22 04:34 AM Re: pax5 vs genos [Re: dud]
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
Problem with most comparisons is that technology advances, just a the comparisons between the Pa4x and Genos. Pa4x used older technology than Genos.

And as I’ve said before what percentage of an Arranger keyboard gets used before moving on to the next great arranger keyboard. How many styles, sounds effects never actually get used.

#506119 - 07/07/22 01:31 PM Re: pax5 vs genos [Re: dud]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The game changer with the new Korg is the ability to simultaneously play two different styles, along with the ability to turn on and off individual Parts in each one.

If you think about it, that basically ups your available styles by several orders of magnitude as you mix and match on the fly.

The demos of this feature have been a bit lackluster in my opinion, as few of the demonstrators did much more than select two full styles and mix them together. But the REAL power of this system lies in selecting two styles, then muting certain Parts in each of them, so you get say bass, percussion and electric guitars from one, and the drums, horns and piano from another…

Even with say only a half dozen styles of a very similar groove, that’s hundreds of possibilities all sounding a bit different.

I don’t know the full details of the system yet, but for people that use the arranger section much, you just got gifted thousands (potentially) of new styles. Most arrangers have in the past been able to do this by laboriously importing Divisions from other styles into one ‘Frankenstyle’ in the style editor. But the process was cumbersome and slow, and you couldn’t audition it until you’d done the work.

But this system is so easy to work, no more excuses!

I do think there are a few OS niggles about the system, though. Primarily, you need two hands to start both styles at the same time. This is ridiculous! When would you NOT want both styles in sync??? 🙄 And okay, if on the odd occasion you did, wouldn’t THAT be the function you used two hands for?

Also, so far I haven’t seen if there’s any control over which style’s Intro/outro/fills play. Your odds of finding two styles where they match is slim to none! Some way of prioritizing one or the other is essential.

To be honest, I am a little confused that the two style system hasn’t set the arranger world on fire! 🔥 It is a complete game changer for the arranger world, and opens up exponential growth in available styles. And, as this OP shows, it seems that style fatigue sets in pretty quickly no matter how many you provide! Given that you can create doxens of new styles just by mixing and matching the Parts from two styles and two sets of multipads, style fatigue should be a thing of the past…

#506125 - 07/08/22 02:43 AM Re: pax5 vs genos [Re: dud]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi.

For those who are interested, there is a Yamaha Genos VS Korg PA5X sounds and styles comparison at A&C Hamilton's YT channel.
(Found the info at Korg PA5X Forum)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlSj0jwU5CU
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#506155 - 07/11/22 02:06 PM Re: pax5 vs genos [Re: Diki]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Diki
The game changer with the new Korg is the ability to simultaneously play two different styles, along with the ability to turn on and off individual Parts in each one.

If you think about it, that basically ups your available styles by several orders of magnitude as you mix and match on the fly.

The demos of this feature have been a bit lackluster in my opinion, as few of the demonstrators did much more than select two full styles and mix them together. But the REAL power of this system lies in selecting two styles, then muting certain Parts in each of them, so you get say bass, percussion and electric guitars from one, and the drums, horns and piano from another…

Even with say only a half dozen styles of a very similar groove, that’s hundreds of possibilities all sounding a bit different.

I don’t know the full details of the system yet, but for people that use the arranger section much, you just got gifted thousands (potentially) of new styles. Most arrangers have in the past been able to do this by laboriously importing Divisions from other styles into one ‘Frankenstyle’ in the style editor. But the process was cumbersome and slow, and you couldn’t audition it until you’d done the work.

But this system is so easy to work, no more excuses!

I do think there are a few OS niggles about the system, though. Primarily, you need two hands to start both styles at the same time. This is ridiculous! When would you NOT want both styles in sync??? 🙄 And okay, if on the odd occasion you did, wouldn’t THAT be the function you used two hands for?

Also, so far I haven’t seen if there’s any control over which style’s Intro/outro/fills play. Your odds of finding two styles where they match is slim to none! Some way of prioritizing one or the other is essential.

To be honest, I am a little confused that the two style system hasn’t set the arranger world on fire! 🔥 It is a complete game changer for the arranger world, and opens up exponential growth in available styles. And, as this OP shows, it seems that style fatigue sets in pretty quickly no matter how many you provide! Given that you can create doxens of new styles just by mixing and matching the Parts from two styles and two sets of multipads, style fatigue should be a thing of the past…

Yes, that sounds very interesting. I know in Latin music, there are all sort hybrid rhythmic styles, for example mixers of cumbia and reggaetón has become popular, yet I can't find any Yamaha keyboard styles that have this mixture.

I'm hoping someone can post a video of this feature!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#506182 - 07/13/22 02:21 PM Re: pax5 vs genos [Re: dud]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Korg always had a better sound & style editing possibilities and now with the newer computer inside there are a lot new thing you expect of a 2022 keyboard , Usb3, Hdmi , large memory , fast hd screen and a lot more improvements , as a Genos player i hope Yamaha wil also use a better and newer processor and al new state of the art technology in stead of the older they now use in the Genos , I will stay at the
Yamaha top arranger , i have made , bought and modified the past 5 years a lot of styles and registrations ( ±800) that are a lot of hours work ( there wasnt a conversion program from the Tyros 5) like there was on earlier Tyros models , despite that it was worth all the effort , Genos is very easy to work with ) if you read the manual and reference guide first.
I hope Yamaha takes a good look at the PA5 'i love the case and size' and looking forward to get the Genos 2 in 2023 grin

Soneg smile

#506186 - 07/14/22 01:34 AM Re: pax5 vs genos [Re: Impuls]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By Impuls
i love the case and size' and looking forward to get the Genos 2 in 2023 grin

Soneg smile

I love the optimism laugh

#506187 - 07/14/22 02:42 AM Re: pax5 vs genos [Re: dud]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi.
Here is a informative and interesting video, especially when it comes to styles, and 'endless' possibilities:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NmeXzieR4U

TOTL arrangers such as Genos and Korg in the same rack must be a heavenly mix. In fact, I'm very tempted...... smile grin

Btw,
I did a request about PA5X at a big European Webstore, and according to this it looks like we have really good time to look at videos at YT and elsewhere.
If they have missed a bit when order into the store, or the backorders for customers are real huge, I don't know.
Quote reply:
"Korg PA-5X 76 International Entertainer Keyboard is expected to come in by the supplier on 05.06.2023 (this based on current backorders) shocked
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#506198 - 07/15/22 12:07 PM Re: pax5 vs genos [Re: dud]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Both TOTL offerings from Korg and Yamaha come with some unique features that are incredibly useful, hopefully they don’t wait another ten+ years before they become commonplace!

Of particular interest on the Yammie side is that amazing 8 part chord sequencer, the divisi voicing capabilities of Ensemble Mode, the pedal steel ability to bend the third inside the chord (or is it the top note? Still not 100% sure how that works) and of course (although the PA5x has caught up a bit) those 28 freely assignable effects inserts. Stackable inserts is incredibly useful when you have enough of them (think phaser into tape echo into tube amp sim into cabinet sim on guitars!).

I’m reading a laundry list of bugs over at Korgforums, which is probably to be e expected on a brand new OS, and some definitely puzzling omissions (no more making styles from full SMF’s, no more Karma, no more EC5 foot pedal input e.g.) but doubtless the bugs will eventually be fixed (mostly!) but more troubling is the omissions. If there’s one thing Yamaha do well it’s building on products without losing much along the way.

As to running two arrangers in sync, my views on this are well known. Until the main players get together and start to standardize the MIDI codes for general arranger operation, stuff like bass inversion codes, variation and fill selection, etc., trying to do anything more than use one arranger’s sounds as lead while the other plays the style is problematic for even the most technical of users. Yammie are still using sysex to do stuff that Korg (and most others) do with PC/CC codes, hugely complicating running two in tandem.

This is why I find Korg’s simultaneous running of two separate styles so exciting, as it was a technological nightmare to do it with two separate arrangers of different brands…

#506829 - 10/18/22 06:58 PM Re: pax5 vs genos [Re: dud]
vitalog2010 Offline

Dear friends,

I have wrote an actual article of my personal and biggest wishes list for new generation of the Genos. I hope my option will be useful for you.

Here my article about new Genos2: https://psrstyles.com/our-blog/yamaha-keyboard-news/43-yamaha-genos-2-coming.html

If you have your own option, you can take a comment on this forum or in the article page.

Thank you So much

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online