SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#505978 - 06/19/22 10:51 AM Sailing
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
This particular song was a real challenge for me, especially having just 12 percent of my lung capacity remaining. I first had to create a style file, something I have not done for years. Next, I created a midi file from the style file, which allowed me edit the playing portion. This allowed me to concentrate on the lyrics and phrasing, which was also very difficult.

Click here to hear my rendition of Sailing The Original was performed by Christopher Cross in 1980.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#505979 - 06/19/22 11:58 AM Re: Sailing [Re: travlin'easy]
Terrysutt Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Nice rendition Gary,new song to me,very much liked the backing track.

#505984 - 06/19/22 02:38 PM Re: Sailing [Re: travlin'easy]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Gary, you can still sing and create styles, and I still can't do neither :-)

You mind is definitely strong, and, after all, it is the mind what makes us who we are.

#505992 - 06/20/22 09:37 AM Re: Sailing [Re: travlin'easy]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Gary. Well Done with this one.

Whats the name of this Yammy style ?

#505996 - 06/20/22 12:00 PM Re: Sailing [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Graham, I used a basic, 8-beat ballad style that I got online from Eileen several years ago, then went about a series of edits using the onboard Style Creator program and inserting the guitar segment on channel 4, which took several tries to play it correctly. I then played the song, recorded it as a midi file on my PSR-S950 and added the instrumental segment, which again took several tries to get it right. (Gloria - I wish were talented enough to do that guitar work in one shot. HA!)

Once I had the mid file, I was able to perform and record the song using the keyboard's onboard USB recorder, which provided me with a .wav file of the song with the vocals. I then ran it through Audacity, adjusted the volume level to -.06 to normalize it, then converted it to an MP3 file so I could post it. As you can see, it was a long, drawn-out process.

I wish to thank everyone who took the time to listen and comment on my submission. I especially would like to thank Jim (Zuki) for suggesting this song, one that I performed a few times many years ago using an old 8-beat ballad style from my PSR-3000. That style did fit very well, but I managed to get away with it back then.

All the best,

Gary cool

#505998 - 06/20/22 01:48 PM Re: Sailing [Re: travlin'easy]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Excellent Gary…Style and midi file you created sound great!
Mitch

#506000 - 06/20/22 03:37 PM Re: Sailing [Re: travlin'easy]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Nice job Gary. "Sailing" fits you, your sail boat hobby, not to mention your Navy days. It could be your theme song cover smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#506009 - 06/21/22 10:37 AM Re: Sailing [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks guys, for the compliments. I sure wish I were a bit younger when I took up sailing, but I got a lot of great experiences that I will cherish the remainder of my life.

All the best,

Gary cool

#506013 - 06/21/22 05:46 PM Re: Sailing [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I live in West Palm Beach, Florida. My daughter lives in Jacksonville Florida. She honored me this past Father’s Day by rented a home in in Hobe Sound Florida; she did not want me to drive a long distance.

On the last day we had lunch in an outdoor restaurant on the water’s edge – beautiful.

As the boats past my desire to sail from up North to Florida came. First the desire, which I did not fill – then my dear friend Gary; who made the trip many times. He sailed and played his way to Florida – WOW.

Gary, you are one success story.

Take care my friend, John C.

#506015 - 06/22/22 07:21 AM Re: Sailing [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Great job Gary. I also tackled that song using just Style Play. It's tricky to get close to right but i did a more stripped down version than yours

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online