SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#504821 - 01/31/22 12:14 PM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By captain Russ

Taike....can't believe "da dude" is in school. What kind of guitar IS HE PLAYING?

Russ

Forgive him, Taike. He MEANT 'What kind of ORGAN is he playing?' smile.

chas

#504836 - 02/02/22 10:10 PM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Speaking from experience, Chas? laugh

Russ, it's a beginner guitar; Fender Squier (Standard?) Stratocaster. After a couple of years he might want to get a Gibson. He plays several hours daily and I hope he keeps at it. He doesn't have a teacher as of yet so he's learning from a video course; Guitar Tricks. It's a very comprehensive course that'll keep him busy for a long long time.

#504837 - 02/03/22 09:59 AM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: Taike]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tell little guy Russ has 6 or 7 Squires. About 15 years ago, Fender tried to convert Squires to a line that was slightly better than bottom line Fenders. They were made in Japan and are really good "beaters".

Please have him send me something showing him playing.

After all, us "guitar dudes" need to stick together.

R.

#504848 - 02/05/22 02:59 AM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: captain Russ]
Taike Offline

Mapanoy politely declines saying that he's been playing for less than two months and doesn't want to cause you nightmares. But he's being diligent practicing daily. At least he's off to a good start. Here's hoping he keeps at it.

#504854 - 02/05/22 02:00 PM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: captain Russ]
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Originally Posted By captain Russ
Tell little guy Russ has 6 or 7 Squires. About 15 years ago, Fender tried to convert Squires to a line that was slightly better than bottom line Fenders. They were made in Japan and are really good "beaters".

Please have him send me something showing him playing.

After all, us "guitar dudes" need to stick together.

Squires have come a long way. I have seen some pros using them, especially the new vintage ones.
I sold my Gibson Les Paul Custom 33 years ago for a tickes to the US.
Last year I went out and bought myself an american made Fender Stratocaster. Wow. what a beauty with awesome sound.
Have been practicing almost every day too.
Signed up for some video courses as well. Wow. awasome stuff.
Did not exist 33 years ago.
Bless the internet. ...
Yes. Guitar players stick together .... guitar
Eric

R.

#504860 - 02/06/22 12:22 PM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: Eric, B]

Please tell "da dude" that Grandpa Russ is really proud of him, and when he decides what his favorite kind of guitar is, he can choose one of mine. It would make me very proud for him to play it!

I miss our regular visits.

Russ

#504861 - 02/06/22 12:28 PM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: Eric, B]

Eric, I just sold the Strat I bought my senior year in High School....a 1961 model for $31,945.00. It cost $685.00 in 1962.

Funny thing is, I have a 1952 Scotty Moore guitar...it's an es 295. Same body as a 175, but with gold paint, a bigsby and p 90 pickups. Those things are much harder to build, I'd think. They bring about $6,000.00 in good condition.

Doesn't make a lot of sense.

I've sold about 45 guitars to raise money for a favorite charity of mine. Funny thing; I'm really not "jonesin" for the ones I have shipped. I have about 210 left to sell. That will leave me a "bare bones" collection of 36 pieces.

POOR OLD ME! (LOL)

Russ

#504863 - 02/06/22 01:27 PM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: captain Russ]
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Wow, that is quite a collection. ...
Guitar prices have gone through the roof in the last couple of three years.
Glad I bought nine when I did.
Enjoy your ladies smile
Eric

#504872 - 02/07/22 06:52 AM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Taike- that is wonderful that your son has taken such a interest in the guitar. Unfortunately too many children are so glued to their phones, that they have little interest in any thing other than social media and binge watching Netflix...

Speaking to you from experience of having a very musical daughter ( she is now a violin performance major in college) , try to be supportive but be careful about putting too much pressure on him to perform/make videos. He'll do so when he's ready. Hopefully he can find a community of like minded kids to play music with, which in my opinion will be the best way to motivate and improve his skills.

Kind Regards,

Paul

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#504874 - 02/07/22 07:42 AM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
Taike Offline

Thank you for your words of wisdom, Paul.

My son -just like his daddy- doesn't watch TV at all. Neither is he addicted to his phone unless he's on his way to school or on the way home. He mainly uses his laptop to play online chess, visit guitar forums, read the news (he's quite interested in world politics), watch music videos (guitar-related) and for doing his homework assignments. Mention movies/TV series and you'll get a blank stare.

Some of his favorite artists are Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Santana, Queen, Deep Purple, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, CCR, The Rolling Stones, Rory Gallagher, Metallica, ...

I think the main reason that he's into guitar is because I told him about Classic Rock and such and like the little Sherlock he is, he checked out video after video and is now is a convert. He dislikes most music from the 80s to the present. Once again, pretty much like his daddy.

You're right about being supportive and not putting too much pressure on him. The only thing I told him is, that when he asked for a guitar, it takes lots of practice to become a good player, lots of patience, but the results will be worth the effort, that music is the gift that keeps on giving, that everyone who quit playing an instrument feels sorry about having quit.

He's a great kid (his mom begs to differ...all she does is nag him...haha) and I've never been angry with him. In return, I have a son who's not afraid to tell me what's on his mind or how he's feeling.

I have complete trust in him that he'll continue playing the guitar especially since I told him that it's a chick magnet. Haha!

Warm Regarda,

Taike

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online