SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#503966 - 10/04/21 06:52 PM Step-by-step guide to performances and perf lists?
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I might finally be ready to roll up my sleeves and experiment with Performance Lists and Performances on the BK-9. I am prepared for extreme frustration! I've seen folks swear that there are unresolved bugs which prevent things from saving or being recalled as intended, and that sounds pretty scary! I have the manual. However, is there a good step-by-step tutorial to setting up performance parameters, using the "lock" or "hold," or whatever it's called to retain certain settings, etc.?

I'm not big on effects. The main things I plan to change with the performances are: style and variation (including user styles); tempo, volume level and mute status of style parts; RH voices, melody intelligence. MAYBE touch-sensitivity. Occasionally I might want to change the status of Bass Inversion and split point (although it might make more sense to "lock" these.) Perhaps also the "Arranger Hold" parameter, and the status of Sync Start. One thing I would like to "lock" permanently are the functions of the D-Beam and assignable switches. So far the assignable switches keep reverting back to some kind of default setting, hence this post!

Trying to benefit from the collective wisdom here. If you know of a good tutorial (either in print or on YouTube, etc.), please post a link! Thanks!!

#503967 - 10/04/21 10:00 PM Re: Step-by-step guide to performances and perf lists? [Re: TedS]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, the thing about a 999 entry Performance List is, if you are willing to sectionalize each song, no matter what you want to do, it’s easy to set up a Performance for each section that doesn’t need any holds, etc.. With 999 to work with,, even 10 changes per song, you still end up with about 100 complete song setups before you need to load another Performance List..!

That’s rather the beauty of the system, rather than pulling your hair out in frustration trying to remember what Holds to enable or disable, just create a Performance for the Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Solos, etc. for each song…

Start perhaps with the Intro setup, tempo, sounds, effects, etc, then save, adjust the Variation, any new sounds, inversion calls etc., then save as Verse, move on to the Chorus, Bridge, whatever…

If you want to step through everything totally hands free, either an FC7 with switches set to Perf Up/Down or a switch into the Control input set to Perf. Up, and just set the Perf’s in the order they need to be (you can always copy and paste you main setups).

Your big problems start when you want to remain old school, call up stuff on the fly, sometimes you need to Hold Tones, or Hold BassInv. etc., but not always…

All in all, unless you are shooting for totally improvised medleys of anything that springs to mind, the Performance List without any arranger Holds is going to work fine,

#503968 - 10/04/21 10:42 PM Re: Step-by-step guide to performances and perf lists? [Re: TedS]
TedS Offline

I wonder what I'm missing then? I've tried a few times to set the assignable switches and they keep reverting to some kind of default setting. Not very useful. And someone in the Roland group on FB swears there's a bug that prevents stuff from saving. Interesting to hear whether others have achieved success with this!

#503973 - 10/05/21 09:44 AM Re: Step-by-step guide to performances and perf lists? [Re: TedS]
Diki Offline

I know for a fact that the As. SW’s are storable per Performance. FC7 and Control Pedal are not storable (they’re in Globals). But what are you trying to set them to? Do you already have any Arranger or OTS Holds set to on? That might interfere with whether they work or not.

Not everything saves in Performances (the Auto/Preset tempo when changing styles on the fly, for instance), but you need to be more specific when talking about things that don’t work. And a lot of people like to throw the word ‘bug’ around when something doesn’t work the way they’d prefer, but unless the manual specifically states that something SHOULD work and it doesn’t, that isn’t a bug, just a design choice someone disagrees with.

Like I said, a lot of the problems occur when combining Hold settings with Performance use. Unless you are REALLY locked into one way of working, always do the same thing every time, and one set of Holds works 100% of the time, I find they are more of a hindrance than a help.

And, of course, are you using a combination of your own Performances, and Performances from the MA? Remember, they’re going to have their own settings, not necessarily what you want. Arranger Chord Recognition type, for instance (I prefer Pianist2 in all situations, and the MA Performances are all written with Intelligent). So if I use an MA Perf., I edit it to have what I prefer and then save to my Master Gig List.

It’s a big change going from old school on the fly operation with Holds to using the Perf. List as your main way of selecting tunes. I’m not sure a combination of both is optimal.

Give me more specifics about what seems to be going wrong for you, maybe we can sort them. But check to make sure all your Holds are off for now, so we eliminate one of the suspects…

#503978 - 10/05/21 05:40 PM Re: Step-by-step guide to performances and perf lists? [Re: TedS]
Diki Offline

BTW, there IS a Assign SW ‘lock”, make sure that’s not engaged…

#504009 - 10/08/21 12:25 PM Re: Step-by-step guide to performances and perf lists? [Re: TedS]
Dengizich Offline

Wouldn't it be better to have a Factory Reset for Teds, and start fresh...? (of course this is not a good thing if you already have saved setups within the instrument to your liking, but in Teds case, it might bring back everything as it came out of the factory, and start fresh from there...)

#504011 - 10/08/21 07:06 PM Re: Step-by-step guide to performances and perf lists? [Re: TedS]
TedS Offline

Honestly whatever I've done so far is just fooling around. Any performances that I really put time into, are on the USB stick. Really curious to hear whether anyone else has encountered unexpected behavior surrounding the Performance / Performance List. I would like to know if there are "bugs," and what they are before I put a lot of time in!

#504018 - 10/09/21 12:45 PM Re: Step-by-step guide to performances and perf lists? [Re: TedS]
Diki Offline

I have been using the performance lists and performances exclusively since I bought the machine… there are no known “bugs” that I know of.

It may not always work the way you expect, and you do have to learn what parameters do NOT get saved to the performance list, you also have to learn how it interacts with not only the arranger holds and the one touch holds, but also the “Piano“ and “Organ“ buttons, Which override a LOT of performance parameters.

#504024 - 10/09/21 06:12 PM Re: Step-by-step guide to performances and perf lists? [Re: TedS]
Diki Offline

And no, do NOT do a factory reset unless you have written dow ALL the Global parameters that you have changed….

This includes Mastering Tools, FC7 and CTR PED, assignments, any MIDI Sets you may have created, etc., etc. (go look in the Global section if unsure of what they all are).

There is no way to store these other than writing them down!. (This was fixed with the EA7)

A Factory reset will wipe them all… 😨🤯🤬

#504029 - 10/10/21 05:31 AM Re: Step-by-step guide to performances and perf lists? [Re: TedS]
Dengizich Offline

I can only talk from my own experience. My BK-9 sometimes acts up. It happened to me that I tried to save stuff in the performance memory, just to realize that nothing has changed the next time I selected that performance (after the keyboard was turned OFF and turned back ON). Yes, this happened. Does it happen all the time? >>> answer is "NO". Yes, in my opinion, there might be a glitch in the software somewhere that surfaces every once in a while, but for the majority of the time it works as it should. In my case this happened after I updated to version 1.06. TEds, can you tell us what version your BK-9 is on currently?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online