SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#503518 - 08/12/21 08:40 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I took a snapshot of the owners manual addressing the headphone out used for line out but wasn’t able to copy it to this thread.

#503521 - 08/12/21 09:28 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: guitpic1]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I’d like to hear about Genos style compatibility, but I have my doubts about it being painless if even possible at all. The DGX doesn’t have those Revo kits that so many of the Genos styles work with, does it? Or hundreds if not more Tones the Genos uses for styles (including many SA2 sounds, right?).

If the onboard style editing is either nonexistent or very cumbersome, it might be more work than it’s worth to transfer the styles. And there’s definitely no ‘player’ styles (or whatever they are called) in the Genos that automatically change in response to your playing…

The DGX intrigues me, I’ve wanted an 88 piano action for a long time. But I think I might wait a generation or two, for more parity with the SX/Genos soundset, and Yamaha to make a bunch more of those styles that respond to just your playing. I think that’s probably the feature I most want, and there aren’t enough of them yet to keep things from getting repetitive if you used them almost exclusively.

And add in the SX/Genos chord sequencer, it’s a no-brained for a decent pianist. Play the head once, turn on the chord sequencer, solo your brains out! Sounds like a damn good time! 🎹😎

#503522 - 08/12/21 09:56 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: guitpic1]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
The CVP styles play reasonable good without much, or no edit at all on Genos, so maybe the DGX does as well? 🤔
I thougt maybe many of the styles at DGX is more designed to accomp a pianoplayer, a bit 'lighter' backing than Genos and PSX, and maybe different intros and endings as well.
Would be nice to explore the preset styleset if posible to copy to a USB pen and zip it up.... 🎵🎹🎵
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#503525 - 08/12/21 10:34 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: guitpic1]
Diki Offline

Backwards compatibility is rarely an issue, it’s going the other way, from the more advanced, newer arranger to the older or less advanced one that often presents problems.

If it is possible to copy the DGX styles to a stick and play them in the Genos, I would expect the normal ones to play fine, but the Pianist styles rely on technology the Genos doesn’t have, the ability to switch between Variations depending on what appears to be either velocity, or possibly note density in how you are playing, and also maybe thinning out the number of Parts playing in response to you as well.

I haven’t seen one yet, so I haven’t yet had an opportunity to pick apart the system Yamaha use, but I do know there’s nothing in the Genos that can do this automatically. Sure, you can use buttons and foot switches to achieve some of this, but not without you having to stop playing and go press stuff, which kind of defeats the whole point of the feature… You just keep playing like a pianist (both hands busy!) and the arranger figures out what you need.

The good news might be, if this system is well received there’s a chance that Yamaha might update the Genos/SX OS to include it, or include it on the next generation, and piano playing arranger players could rejoice without having to lug around a pretty oversized 88… 😎🎹

#503526 - 08/12/21 10:37 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
Good Information here...keep it coming without trashing the DGX. I'm very close to pur-----. I also like the New Kawai ES-920 a bunch stunning Kawai Pianos. I would love one of everything! Harold

#503527 - 08/12/21 10:47 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: guitpic1]
Diki Offline

As long as you have a crew of roadies, Harold! 😂🎹

#503528 - 08/12/21 10:55 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: guitpic1]
groovyband.live Offline

I have just checked the Data List (quickly from my mobile phone). It seems to me that the sound generator is the usual Yamaha XG (we all know from 3 decades), with features more or less aligned with late PSR S arrangers. The DSPs are those of the newer PSR SX 700 (5 inserts).

This means that it *should* be perfectly compatible with our software (www.groovyband.live), possibly with only very minor sound substitutions.

In practice you could transform your DGX into a full featured arranger workstation (way more advanced than your Genos) with 906 styles built-in.

The demo is free, and should work both on your Genos and DGX 670.

If you would like to try, it would be an interesting comparison: 4k€ vs 800€!

Let us know!!

#503529 - 08/12/21 11:02 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
guitpic1 Offline

The styles on my DGX are actually pretty good but no where near the number and sophistication of my Genos.

That said, styles are a much lower priority for me on my DGX as opposed to my Genos where style playing is a main function of the keyboard.

I bought the DGX to practice piano and have the piano hammered action. …even subscribed to Flowkey to help in that regard.

If I ever went out to play in public again I most likely would use the Genos as the DGX is a good 20lbs heavier.

😊

#503530 - 08/12/21 11:07 AM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Harold,

Re: ES920. I was and still am very interested in this keyboard. But it’s almost impossible to find one for sale.

That said, even if I could find an ES920 for sale, I don’t know that I would buy it as I really am meeting all my needs now with my DGX.

#503540 - 08/13/21 07:11 PM Re: New Yamaha DGX670 owner [Re: guitpic1]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
I dream too much! Last I looked Sam Ash had them in stock, But You have a Great DGX-670...Enjoy

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online