SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#504214 - 11/06/21 02:10 AM Korg MicroArrabger
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
This not comparing the Korg Micro Arranger with a PA series. The KMA can be used as a module with a digital piano. The YouTube videos demo the keyboard better than I could.
When used with a quality amp. system, the sax, trumpet, guitars, and strings are fantastic; and so are the styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzhzhE2XsBU&t=1229s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkoqosm36YU&t=1951shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkoqosm36YU&t=1951s

This is my third KMA, I never really knew it’s potential. I have to thank the world conditions for given me the time to learn the KMA.

I keep the KMA in my spare bedroom along side the bed. If I have trouble sleeping, it’s my friend. If I am bored, it’s my friend. And it’s 9 pounds.

Life is good, John C.

#504216 - 11/06/21 03:43 AM Re: Korg MicroArrabger [Re: bruno123]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
The KMA is underestimated, it's in fact a great little thing. 👍
Mostly used it when we travelled our motorhome, but now it's giving our grandkids pleasure when learn to play music / piano.
I had much joy using it, and probably will have more fun later.
If I'm not wrong, it's a PA50 (PA60) in disguise. 😁
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#504226 - 11/07/21 10:37 AM Re: Korg MicroArrabger [Re: bruno123]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Sorry John but I disagree. I owned a KMA briefly, and IMO it was a failed opportunity. I'm posting here to let Korg and the other manufacturers that there still is a market for an ultra-portable arranger. But the KMA wasn't it and here's why...

I'm really trying to learn playing by sight, without looking down at the keys. I don't practice enough as it is. So if I'm going to develop that "muscle memory," I need to stick with full-size keys. Having something that I can take with me to practice is great, but I'm not about to confuse myself by messing with this.

YES, the KMA could be perceived as a fairly capable MODULE. However, in that case (or any case) they should have ditched those tinny on-board speakers. Poor bass response IMO. And with the abundance of portable speakers like the JBL Charge, UE Boom, etc., on-board speakers needlessly add size and weight. If you're going to practice in bed or on the train, you'll probably use earphones anyway. Oh, that's right... you CAN'T practice on the train because the KMA doesn't take batteries! Sure, you could cobble something together with velcro and a big power bank, but why...? Ditching the speakers would allow pitch/mod wheels to be ABOVE the keybed. Then, they could have put a full-size keybed in a similarly-sized package. Bottom line, I give the engineers a C-minus at best. Korg should have based their MicroArranger on the Kross 2 package which is only an inch wider, it takes batteries for truly portable use, and weighs a pound less.

If length must be kept to an absolute minimum, consider the following: Deane (Hammer) claimed to be able to play a full set with his Ketron SD40 module and a four-octave controller. Personally I don't think four octaves is enough. But I often play in the Key of C, and a 4 1/2 octave controller beginning on F or G would allow me to play most of my repertoire, and could potentially be 32" wide with full-sized keys.

Anyone interested in a KMA should probably check out the Casio CT-400 which is a similar size and weight with full size keys (admittedly a crummy action.) If you really need sequencing or user style creation, you could get a Casio WK or CT-X for your studio to complement the portable CT-400, for about the same total cash outlay. My $.02.

Edited by TedS (11/07/21 10:40 AM)

#504228 - 11/07/21 11:04 AM Re: Korg MicroArrabger [Re: bruno123]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So I guess you’ve never played an accordion, Ted? Or an organ, or a Wurlitzer, or a keytar, or a Melodica, etc., etc.?

Standard piano sized keys don’t denote whether a product is a failure or not. Just an inability to adjust. B3 keys aren’t the same as piano keys. Is that a failed product?

It was a failed product FOR YOU. For those able to adjust, it seems quite the bargain.

#504229 - 11/07/21 11:14 AM Re: Korg MicroArrabger [Re: bruno123]
Diki Offline

http://smallpianokeyboards.org/keyboard-history/

Even piano keys weren’t standardized until the late 19th century, and there’s impetus to move closer to the key size that most classical music was written for…

#504231 - 11/07/21 11:49 AM Re: Korg MicroArrabger [Re: TedS]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
“This is my third KMA, I never really knew it’s potential. I have to thank the world conditions for given me the time to learn the KMA”

Yes, small keys, and some other things that do not make it. But, the list of options that it can do is fantastic. The video shows a piano, controller, with full size keys --- it is being presented as a module.

Will it do what the Genos and Pa4x can do, NO! But it is 9 pounds at a cost of $400 to $500. It has separate fills. You can change every part of a style. You have eight instruments to select when you open up a song with the program. The list goes on.

I feel people must most love the options the KMA has -- and not live to dislike what it does not have. Wow, I heard someone say that same thing to a guy who was in a trebled marriage. (smile)

These are only my opinions, John C.

#504234 - 11/07/21 01:40 PM Re: Korg Micro Arranger [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

I had a request to post my KORG Micro Arranger Demo Medley
PT 1 & 2 again which I recorded when I first took it out of the box years ago..I had no problems whatso ever playing the smaller keys.
enjoy....

https://app.box.com/s/xe4w7siomir4jwwhvrss0i0mp1knr129
https://app.box.com/s/xe4w7siomir4jwwhvrss0i0mp1knr129

#504235 - 11/07/21 05:12 PM Re: Korg Micro Arranger [Re: Dnj]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Dnj
...I had no problems whatso ever playing the smaller keys.

Neither did I. It was easier to adapt the small sized keys than I first thought it would be.
The KMA is no less than a 'wolf in diquise'. Small at the outside, big inside. Don't sound too bad either.😁

Btw,
nice to 'see' you Donny. 👍
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#504236 - 11/07/21 05:51 PM Re: Korg Micro Arranger [Re: bruno123]
Diki Offline

I think for many, the KMA represents a way to augment another arranger while still having a set of keys but not doubling the size (and weight!) of your rig. And, push comes to shove, could actually pass as main arranger if one needs small size and portability for say a traveling job as long as you can make do with the smaller keys.

I don’t know if I’d ever consider it as a proper main arranger, but modules are few and far between and it would make a great way to add some Korg flavor to a Yamaha or Roland rig without ballooning your gig setup too much (or soaking your wallet!)….

#504237 - 11/07/21 10:21 PM Re: Korg Micro Arranger [Re: bruno123]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
For me, the KORG Microarranger is a keeper, I will never sell, by the way, I have two of them. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online