SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#501232 - 10/23/20 04:05 AM loading custom styles to an SD card... HELP!
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
does anyone know how to copy styles from the PC onto the SD card so the KN7000 can actually read them?

I have been doing some research and it looks like there used to be an SD card manager software available on the KN7000 website which is no longer available.

does anyone know what I am supposed to do?

thanks!

#501235 - 10/23/20 05:31 AM Re: loading custom styles to an SD card... HELP! [Re: Nick G]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Use a floppy disk and copy them about 7 or 8 at a time. The process of copying direct from PC to SD Card is complex and is similar to this explanation for transferring midi files from PC to SD Card:
Transferring MIDI Files to SD Card using a PC

It is not possible to just copy and paste MIDI files directly to an SD Card using your PC, if the files are destined to be played through the KN7000’s sound system.
The KN7000 operating system expects all MIDI files on an SD Card to be structured in a particular format and just Dragging and Dropping or Copying the files from a PC folder directly to the SD Card, does not construct the required format. Although you can ‘see’ the MIDI files on your PC, the KN7000 will not recognise them.

The KN7000 does allow MIDI files to be transferred from a Floppy Disk in its Drive, to an SD Card in the KN7000, but this can only be done one file at a time. If you have a batch of MIDI files which you wish to transfer to an SD Card, using the KN7000 system is not really a feasible solution………..

The following procedure, can be used to transfer a batch of MIDI files to an SD Card.

PROCEDURE.

1. Create a folder in the root of the SD card called IMEXPORT.
Alternatively, on the KN7000, load a MIDI file, save it to SD sound as a MIDI, then go to SD Tools\SD Sound menu and export it. This will create the IMEXPORT folder for you (you can then delete the MIDI file it contains).

2. Now on the PC, just copy all your midis to the IMEXPORT folder.

3. Insert the SD Card in the KN7000, go to SD Tools\SD Sound and import them. You can select all, or selectively select and importantly create and name the playlists you want as you go.

4. When finished, empty the IMEXPORT folder on the pc and copy the next batch.

I worked in batches of ~40 because it was manageable in the selection list, or in batches of wanted playlists. You can always re-edit/order playlists afterwards.

The SD sound folder can then be copied between SD cards on the pc without limitations, including all your playlists.

When finished empty the IMEXPORT folder since all the midis have been copied to the SD Sound folder, and the originals are just a waste of card space.

I am indebted to Alec Pagida for supplying this procedure.

#501236 - 10/23/20 06:25 AM Re: loading custom styles to an SD card... HELP! [Re: Nick G]
Nick G Offline

Thanks for that detailed info!

Will the same method work for custom styles though as opposed to midi files?

Thanks

#501240 - 10/23/20 08:20 AM Re: loading custom styles to an SD card... HELP! [Re: Nick G]
RMepstead Offline

Nick - when you say 'Custom Styles' do you really mean 'Custom' because that is the name of a specific small group of styles will need to end up in the lower second right rhythm group, and have a seperate method of loading. If you just mean .cmp styles of which there are hundreds if not thousands - I've produced tons myself for specific songs, then to be honest there is no better way than transferring them a few at a time via a floppy disk.

Edited by RMepstead (10/23/20 08:20 AM)

#501243 - 10/23/20 04:58 PM Re: loading custom styles to an SD card... HELP! [Re: Nick G]
Nick G Offline

Hi Roger I am referring to any style I download off the internet.

Thanks

#501247 - 10/24/20 04:46 AM Re: loading custom styles to an SD card... HELP! [Re: Nick G]
RMepstead Offline

I think Bill Norrie has explained this very well in the other topic on here but suffice it to say transferring direct from PC to SD Card is complex whereas transferring a few at a time with floppy disk is very straightforward.

#501268 - 10/26/20 03:10 AM Re: loading custom styles to an SD card... HELP! [Re: Nick G]
Nick G Offline

Even with a Floppy drive it is going to be confusing (I think)...

SO far I have downloaded or been sent some styles but they are in folders such as:
PRIVATE > TECHNICS > KN7000 > TFLD001 > and inside there is a huge amount of files and they are all .ACT, .CMP, >LSW, PMT, SQT, TM, and then it repeats..

I tried downloading files from Bill Norries website:
http://www.willumspages.co.uk/page6.html

And all I can see is a bunch of ACT CMP LSW PMT SQT TM files, Including "Windows Installer Patch"... how am I supposed to transfer them to the KN7000 using a floppy disk?

#501274 - 10/26/20 09:37 AM Re: loading custom styles to an SD card... HELP! [Re: Nick G]
RMepstead Offline

Ok - you've got two different approaches to providing you with style sets.
The first you mention - PRIVATE > TECHNICS > KN7000 > TFLD001 > - are a whole collection of styles bundled up into a file which can only be unbundled and loaded onto an SD Card using a bit of computer software called SD Explorer for KN7000. You would also need a bit of kit called a Panasonic SD USB Reader/Writer and you insert a blank SD Card into one end and attach the other USB end to your computer. The SD Explorer software will enable you to 'RESTORE' the above mentioned .sdb bundle to the SD Card.
Willumspages which includes a good few of my song specific style files along with all of Bill's work. The components of a single style file set are a set of ACT CMP LSW PMT SQT TM files. Let's say the song was 'Lover' (my invention of a name for a song) then you would download lover.act lover.cmp lover.lsw etc to a floppy disk and take that floppy disk over to your KN7000 and load it into your keyboard. A floppy disk can hold (1.44mb) about 7 or 8 sets of those style files, and you can download them to your keyboard one set at a time, remembering to save that downloaded set to an SD Card before downloading the next one.

#501275 - 10/26/20 12:29 PM Re: loading custom styles to an SD card... HELP! [Re: RMepstead]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Nick,
First, the files on Page 6 of my website are a collection of Song Sequences and do not contain 'Custom Styles' in the terminology of the KN7000. Most of them, particularly SONGS4U Volume 3 - 17, contain COMPOSER Styles which I've created specifically for the sequenced songs.

The process of transferring the Song Files on Page 6 of my website to your KN7000 via Floppy Disk is quite straightforward... If you give me a little time, I'll write the complete procedure for you and post it here.

Incidentally, there is no "Windows Installer Patch" file among the files on my page. It is unfortunate that one of the Technics file components - the 'Performance Pad' data, uses the File Extension '.MSP' which Microsoft also uses for Windows Installer Patch files.
The '.MSP' file components have absolutely nothing to do with a Windows Installer Patch....

Watch this Space......

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#501276 - 10/26/20 02:11 PM Re: loading custom styles to an SD card... HELP! [Re: Bill Norrie]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
As Promised....

Transferring SONGS4U files to Floppy Disk for KN7000 (Windows)

1. Create a dedicated folder on your desktop - call it for example 'KNdownloads'.
2. Download a SONGS4Uxx.ZIP file and save to the KNdownloads folder.
3. Upzip the SONGS4Uxx.ZIP file to the KNdownloads folder.
4. Format a 1.44Mb floppy disk.
5. Copy all the Numbered files (01 - xx) in the KNdownloads folder to the floppy disk. There is also a text file containing the actual full names of the songs within the folder, related to the 6 character Floppy disk filename. This would not be readable on the KN7000 so there is no point in copying it
6. Place the floppy disk in the KN7000
The Song files can then be Loaded/Played one at a time on the KN7000 and then saved as required, to the SD Card.

NOTE : Some of my later SONGS4Uxx.ZIP groups of files are greater than the capacity of a 1.44Mb floppy disk, so rather than copying all the files to floppy disk in one operation after unzipping, it would be best to copy say half of them in two operations. However, do not make a split within a Song Group - each Song Group has a unique number 01 - 20.
You can check the total size of the Unzipped files by highlighting all the files (Ctrl+A) and then mouse right click and select Properties. A pop-up window will appear showing the total file size....

If you wish to download any of the Styles on my http://www.willumspages.co.uk/page7.html, the downloading instructions are included on my Tech Tips Page - Item 4.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online