Had 1 week off with a medical issue in January and the club stopped dining service last week. That means at the end of the week, I will have been off 3 weeks, with more coming. Through the end of 2019, I had had 9 weeks off since starting as a 12 year old at an Air Force Base (LADD AFB) in 1955.

I simply added studio hours at a much higher rate of pay.
Money-wise, I'm lots better off.

What I didn't count on is the difference in satisfaction.

First, if you screw up during a recording, you just do it over. With live work, the pressure to do it right every time is satisfying.

Then, there's the difference in material. Frankly, sound scores are not usually nice to listen to without the accompanying footage. Because there is a voice-over, lead lines have to be smooth and unobtrusive.

Playing tunes that mean something to you is satisfying. Playing scores is different, because the main thing is support for the film, not the music.

I was headed for the barn as far as lie music goes, but I have had 10 or so calls and emails from members saying they miss the tunes.

I will probably move to a new restaurant owned by a guy I worked for for 14 years and look at retiring from live music in 5 years.

And I should enjoy the absolute privilege I have had being a lifetime musician.

And knowing folks like you.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (03/18/20 12:37 PM)