SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#491325 - 03/10/20 04:55 PM Good portable MIDI tone generator / sequencer?
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Hey 'Zoners! Can anyone recommend a good, portable MIDI tone generator for use with a "dumb" controller?

If it has an on-board sequencer/recorder, that's good but perhaps not essential. What I do need is a light, compact form factor, amenable to battery use, ability to manipulate ADSR envelope and save favorites/presets, accept live input on up to three different MIDI channels, and a decent selection of voices for variety.

I am familiar with the Yamaha QY-70 and QY-100. I think they're amazing, and I'm not even put off by the XG voices; they still sound realistic enough for my application. But these are almost 20 yrs old! Storage media are equally obsolete. There has to be something made in the 21st Century that covers every function and does it better!

I've heard of the Ketron SD4, which I think is also no longer made. Unless I'm mistaken the SD4 didn't have any kind of on-board interface or controls to manipulate ADSR, etc. Anyhow compared to the Yamaha modules it's rare and more expensive. Say "SD40" and you lose a testicle! So what else is out there??

#491326 - 03/10/20 05:14 PM Re: Good portable MIDI tone generator / sequencer? [Re: TedS]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Most use tablets, laptops and 2 in 1s with DAW software these days (Which work out cheaper than a lot of modules) so modules are few and far between.
I would have recommended the Roland BK7m but this has also been discontinued, which leaves only Ketron left in the market as far as I am aware. (Sorry to say but you are asking at least 10 years too late)

Bill

#491331 - 03/10/20 07:08 PM Re: Good portable MIDI tone generator / sequencer? [Re: TedS]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Abacus, what DAWs do you think work best with an iPad for live performance? I use and Love the Ketron Midjay Plus. I would like to use the iPad as well with backing tracks for shorter (1 hour) gigs. I downloaded Sweet Midi for iPad but don't care for the sounds ...

#491332 - 03/10/20 07:13 PM Re: Good portable MIDI tone generator / sequencer? [Re: TedS]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
Not aware of anything like that, nowadays either.

Seems to stuff around for iPads, most of my music software is on my laptop , though.
My iPad is fairly old, so haven’t really checked into it.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#491334 - 03/10/20 07:16 PM Re: Good portable MIDI tone generator / sequencer? [Re: TedS]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Jerry,
Bachus knows a fair bit as to what is available for iPads.

Probably so does Bill.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#491336 - 03/10/20 07:42 PM Re: Good portable MIDI tone generator / sequencer? [Re: TedS]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
iPad 100%.

#491337 - 03/10/20 08:07 PM Re: Good portable MIDI tone generator / sequencer? [Re: TedS]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Dave, what app(s) are you using with the iPad?

#491338 - 03/10/20 08:46 PM Re: Good portable MIDI tone generator / sequencer? [Re: TedS]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Garageband is the easiest, and it's native to Apple. I trigger sounds from my midi guitar (Godin Montreal Triple Play), use small usb controllers, and it also integrates into Logic as a control surface.

#491340 - 03/10/20 10:18 PM Re: Good portable MIDI tone generator / sequencer? [Re: TedS]
Torch Offline

You might want to check into Sonority XXL by V3 Sound. https://www.v3sound.com/en/e-product-sonority-xxl.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=049KvCfZ_h4&list=PL7jdw7PV1eYpHb3J90Ri23PjPTaa-EiRu

I have a Ketron SD4, SD1000, and SD40, but I prefer V3 Sound arranger and modules. Once I asked a very talented multi instrumentalist who plays gigs full time. He says he likes the V3 Desktop arranger better than his Audya 4.

Chris
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#491342 - 03/11/20 01:22 AM Re: Good portable MIDI tone generator / sequencer? [Re: TedS]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
As mentioned above, if you have an iPad Garage Band is a no brainer. (It has many features of the top notch Logic X DAW and is free)

Android you are pretty much stuffed so look elsewhere.

Laptops/2 in 1s look at Ableton Live, (Intro version) also if you buy a decent interface (Focusrite & Steinberg do some great entry level) a lot already come with Ableton Lite as well as other programs to get great sounds.
Have fun.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online