Hey 'Zoners! Can anyone recommend a good, portable MIDI tone generator for use with a "dumb" controller?

If it has an on-board sequencer/recorder, that's good but perhaps not essential. What I do need is a light, compact form factor, amenable to battery use, ability to manipulate ADSR envelope and save favorites/presets, accept live input on up to three different MIDI channels, and a decent selection of voices for variety.

I am familiar with the Yamaha QY-70 and QY-100. I think they're amazing, and I'm not even put off by the XG voices; they still sound realistic enough for my application. But these are almost 20 yrs old! Storage media are equally obsolete. There has to be something made in the 21st Century that covers every function and does it better!

I've heard of the Ketron SD4, which I think is also no longer made. Unless I'm mistaken the SD4 didn't have any kind of on-board interface or controls to manipulate ADSR, etc. Anyhow compared to the Yamaha modules it's rare and more expensive. Say "SD40" and you lose a testicle! So what else is out there??