SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#491125 - 03/06/20 10:11 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Organs focus on layering, arrangers focus on solo instruments, having a fantastic violin & trumpet (For example) sounds c**p when layered, however when voiced correctly (As they are in organs) you get a fantastic sound when layered.
As to automatics, as I have said many times, arranger auto systems are a complete waste of space when it comes to organ play. (This is why most organists have them turned off or simplify them before playing, something you do not have to do if you use styles designed for the organ)

Bill

#491126 - 03/06/20 10:16 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: abacus]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Originally Posted By abacus
An arranger requires you to play the chords in a way that it understands, with an organ you can play any way you want, which is way more flexible.

An arranger only requires that if you intend to control styles or use the "Auto Bass Chord" faculty. The D-Deck is kind of a hybrid with fewer chord recognition modes than a Tyros/Genos. But a true organ doesn't even have styles or Auto Bass Chord. If you start with a BK-9: turn the melodic auto-accompaniment OFF, split the keyboard, and add bass pedals, now you can play chords any way you want, just like on an organ. Play it through a Leslie cabinet, and with your back turned I bet you couldn't tell!

#491131 - 03/06/20 10:59 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: TedS]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By TedS
Originally Posted By abacus
An arranger requires you to play the chords in a way that it understands, with an organ you can play any way you want, which is way more flexible.

An arranger only requires that if you intend to control styles or use the "Auto Bass Chord" faculty. The D-Deck is kind of a hybrid with fewer chord recognition modes than a Tyros/Genos. But a true organ doesn't even have styles or Auto Bass Chord. If you start with a BK-9: turn the melodic auto-accompaniment OFF, split the keyboard, and add bass pedals, now you can play chords any way you want, just like on an organ. Play it through a Leslie cabinet, and with your back turned I bet you couldn't tell!

Yep ! +1

#491133 - 03/06/20 11:44 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Of course a real Leslie is best for Tibias...BUT I don't use Tibias much. When I played organ (lots of them) I loved that great Tibia sound only comes from moving air...BUT all the rest of the sounds...were not that good...Genos, or other TOTL arranger beats them hands down, especially for the $$. I went to a Lowrey dealer once a few years ago, they had a top demo player from corporate....I was not impressed at all with the sound in general (some were OK). Over $42,000 no thanks.

Nope a arranger with lower and pedals is not the same as an organ, but it is pretty darn cool and much better than just arranger alone, especially if you are doing orchestral performances and no singing.

Just watch what a guy like Marco Cerbella does with a $7,500 D-Deck...what does he do that you can not do with an arranger, lower and pedals all setup correctly for a song?

So, what can you do on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAAbcxeBLls

That you can't do on a dual TRX type setup with and TOTL arranger?
I bet that baby is over $40k....(stopped production in 2019)
Nope not the same, BUT pretty darn nice setup.

But, this has got to be the ultimate one can do on a keyboard instrument:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCED5cVnxxY

Edited by leeboy (03/06/20 12:06 PM)

#491143 - 03/06/20 02:21 PM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By leeboy

But, this has got to be the ultimate one can do on a keyboard instrument:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCED5cVnxxY

That was quite impressive. I actually enjoyed an organ that wasn't a 'B3' smile. Just curious though, how does he trigger the registration changes? However he does it, the performance was absolutely stellar, especially the pedal work. The voices were very authentic (IMO) but as Paul always says, it's not the keyboard, it's the keyboardist (in this case, that's not totally true smile , that's one heck of a keyboard. I'd like to see a jury rigged arranger-based rig do that.

chas

#491144 - 03/06/20 02:36 PM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Well, he uses one of 2 side switches on the RH expression pedal. The other is for lots of good stuff, like we do on arranger. Actually you can do exactly as he does with arranger as we can control the regs with a footswitch too. The LH expression pedal is for Wah, glide, slide, pitch bend etc.

You can buy one of those for $5k - $10k depending on the model + shipping to USA (door to door), no US warranty though.

Like Bachus said, there are differences in that organ and making one out of Genos or other arragner, lower kbd and pedals. I think however you can get a LOT of it using a arranger setup.

Yep Marco is very talented, I have been following him for a long time, OH he does not come with the organ from Japan!
Darn!

#491151 - 03/06/20 04:12 PM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
That Yamaha is the most impressive organ I've ever heard. The Lowrey, not so much. 5K to 10K Sounds a bit more resonable but you still need to put about 2K - 4K in a sound system for it.

#491154 - 03/06/20 05:33 PM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Comes with a sound system.
https://www.tarotrade.com/component/virt...tail?Itemid=527

The more expensive one (ELS-02C) comes with more of a cabinet and more powerful sound system (10K) and a lot more features/layers for sound etc.

#491163 - 03/07/20 01:25 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
An arranger (Even a TRX system) cannot get anywhere close to the Lowrey Organ, why, because they are designed for 2 different markets, the Lowrey looks nice as a piece of furniture in the lounge (The TRX system and others look c**p as if it’s come from Star Trek) plus the Lowrey player wants one box (With a top notch amp/speaker system built in) with all the easy play features (Top models have about 15,000 pre-sets built in) so that they do not need to touch the rest of the organ, but still look impressive, the TRX type system has nothing on this. (Different horses for different courses)

Bill

#491164 - 03/07/20 03:39 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I watched several of Marco's videos..
It appears to me that he often uses the D-deck (sequencer?) to control the patch changes (instruments), and expression changes.. It also triggers lead ins (percussion sounds mostly). I noticed voicings are also sequenced..

He seems to use a chart of changes that give him direction, but mostly the keyboard screen directs him along with the lead ins that are sequenced.

None of this will work unless you are player capable to perform like Marco.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online