SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#491012 - 03/04/20 03:04 PM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Don't want to start a riot but what can these monster $$$$ machines do that an
Arranger / second keyboard / bass pedals can't do. Thats a lot of money for wood.

Uncle Dave will sell you a nice stand cover up and lights if you want it to look like one piece. laugh2

#491017 - 03/04/20 07:38 PM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Bill,
Really nothing...maybe registrations that take advantage of the whole thing...BUT we can definitely do the same with a little work.

This has been my point...we can use most any arranger to play like the organs of today (not many left) for lots less $$$ (unless you want the cabinet, not me).
Just add lower and pedals, if you gig out, just take the arranger.

#491034 - 03/05/20 07:07 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
It's not just a case of lower keys and pedals.
I played organs in Pubs and Clubs for years and I have yet to hear an organ on ANY arranger which sounds as convincing as those I used to play and they were not all top of range organs.
Fitting a Lester K or similar Stereo Rotary Box does a lot to improve them but, without one, even my Genos falls far short of a convincing organ.
D-Deck sounds ok and I might have considered a D-Deck if they were sold here but would need to audition one first.

#491035 - 03/05/20 07:08 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
I played organs in Pubs and Clubs for years and I have yet to hear an organ on ANY arranger which sounds as convincing as those I used to play and they were not all top of range organs.
Fitting a Lester K or similar Stereo Rotary Box does a lot to improve them but, without one, even my Genos falls far short of a convincing organ.
D-Deck sounds ok and I might have considered a D-Deck if they were sold here but would need to audition one first.

#491038 - 03/05/20 07:26 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
An arranger has at best 2 layers/splits for the left hand and usually only one (If any) for adding bass pedals, organs have multiple layers/split points all independent of each other, plus a number of organ manufactures allow you add even more.
An arranger requires you to play the chords in a way that it understands, with an organ you can play any way you want, which is way more flexible.
You can add manuals and pedals to an arranger (The TRX system for example) however it requires some serious work arounds, and still falls well short of the organ flexibility.
An arranger has less real estate to add real time controls compared to an organ.
There are more differences which is why they are 2 separate instruments. (Even though the arranger is an offshoot of the organ)
Anybody that says there is one instrument that can do everything, I am afraid does not live in the real world.

Bill

#491041 - 03/05/20 07:45 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Anthony Johnson]
Bill Lewis Offline

Originally Posted By Anthony Johnson

If its just organ you want there's a bunch of "clones" out there that sound really good. I used to play a B3 for years and would be happy with one of them. BTW my Roland BK9 has the VK8 organ clone built in and set up right it's prety good. A tradeoff but look at all the othere features your getting.

#491043 - 03/05/20 07:52 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: abacus]
Bill Lewis Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
An arranger has at best 2 layers/splits for the left hand and usually only one (If any) for adding bass pedals, organs have multiple layers/split points all independent of each other, plus a number of organ manufactures allow you add even more.
An arranger requires you to play the chords in a way that it understands, with an organ you can play any way you want, which is way more flexible.
You can add manuals and pedals to an arranger (The TRX system for example) however it requires some serious work arounds, and still falls well short of the organ flexibility.
An arranger has less real estate to add real time controls compared to an organ.
There are more differences which is why they are 2 separate instruments. (Even
though the arranger is an offshoot of the organ)
Anybody that says there is one instrument that can do everything, I am afraid does not live in the real world.

Bill

I don't know what real time controls you would be missing that an Arranger doesn't provide. I can change sounds, tempo if using backing, individual part volumes, effects, transpose, etc.
If I'm using styles I can play LH chords any way I want and it reads them perfectly. And its very easy to add an extra manuel AND pedals to an Arranger with a simple Midi Merger.
Gee, its amazing the stuff you learn living in the modern world.

#491046 - 03/05/20 08:03 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I played many kinds of organs in years past starting with a little Gulbranson spinet. As I progressed,I moved to B3 and 32 pedal pipie organ in church. I grew tired of being limited when arrangers came out,and mostly stayed with them except for being church minister of music at several churches.

The point is,whether it is the unique organ voicing,or what,but nothing beats an organ to sound like an organ,just like rthe Leslie in a tonewheel. Sometimes,when I hear a Wersi,or other Euro organ,I think there is a lot of music I would like to use them for.

I think it is mainly true that no keyboard does everything,and although many come close to an organ,it is not the same.

#491047 - 03/05/20 08:12 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Bernie9]
Bill Lewis Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
I played many kinds of organs in years past starting with a little Gulbranson spinet. As I progressed,I moved to B3 and 32 pedal pipie organ in church. I grew tired of being limited when arrangers came out,and mostly stayed with them except for being church minister of music at several churches.

The point is,whether it is the unique organ voicing,or what,but nothing beats an organ to sound like an organ,just like rthe Leslie in a tonewheel. Sometimes,when I hear a Wersi,or other Euro organ,I think there is a lot of music I would like to use them for.

I think it is mainly true that no keyboard does everything,and although many come close to an organ,it is not the same.

Curious , why do you think that is ? Its all digital circutry except for the Hammond Tonewheels. Leslie movig air, yes nothing like it. Possibly the sound systems these Wersi's are using. Most Arranger players use nothing close to those. A Bose Compact isn't going to come close to those big (unmovable) systems. Just my thought.

#491111 - 03/06/20 05:50 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Beats me,Bill. Over the years I have heard "organ voicing",but that doesn't help much.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online