SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#490273 - 02/25/20 05:20 PM Prelude has a home
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Prelude version 2

You can't buy my Prelude v2.... It is staying put!

If it was not a version 2 and could not be updated, I would not have it.

Version 2 made all the difference... It is near perfect for my purpose.

The added features has a 48 page supplementary manual..

Features include advance editing for styles, songs and system choices.

Multi effects (MFX) were added for Styles and songs besides individual real time parts
(Lower and upper).

Make up tools were added for both song and style.. Tone, performance edits are also
available.

16 track sequencer is enhanced, as is the style composer.

Style converter to convert SMF to styles (easy converter software) , similar to Korg.

Too many things to mention all..

The first time I used Prelude 10 years ago, I used it in a limited way with the band.

Since I purchased it back again, I needed different uses.

Keep in mind the Prelude came out after the G70 and with version 2 has some same type features.

The E80, and Juno stage had audio players, but were terrible to use.. Prelude was
the first Roland too address this.. and they succeded..

The design and sounds are taken from Sonic cell.

Prelude was followed with the BK5 ( no sequencer but better OS and storage), than the
BK9 ( you can see the BK9 was based on Prelude)..
later the EA7 that is the most advanced in the last 4 models.

After a couple days understanding the OS, I have found it very capable, perfect
for in and out jobs (why I owned the E-A7)

The Prelude, is a compact , small footprint keyboard, that serves as a nice
controller with DAW.

In reality it is a one owner (me), modest investment (price) and does what I like.

The only arrangers I would consider trading up to (if priced right), a BK9 or E-A7 (again).

But it would have to be good price tag for me to make a move. Can't steal this one.

#490276 - 02/25/20 05:59 PM Re: Prelude has a home [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Fran good luck with the prelude I am sure you will use it successfully..

#490280 - 02/25/20 07:32 PM Re: Prelude has a home [Re: Fran Carango]
zuki Offline

MOL arrangers are suspect on their fingering. Fingered on bass is left out on a lot of these models. A deal breaker for me. Almost every song I play has different root bass.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#490283 - 02/25/20 08:41 PM Re: Prelude has a home [Re: zuki]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By zuki
MOL arrangers are suspect on their fingering. Fingered on bass is left out on a lot of these models. A deal breaker for me. Almost every song I play has different root bass.

Jim every arranger keyboard I have owned had bass inversion.

#490291 - 02/26/20 04:09 AM Re: Prelude has a home [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

confused1

#490313 - 02/26/20 08:56 AM Re: Prelude has a home [Re: Fran Carango]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Historically Roland has put bass inversion on everything-- until they started making the cheap, rebranded Yamaha junk in the last year. It's true that the Prelude doesn't have a bass inversion button on the PANEL. But the board has the function and it can be controlled by a footswitch.

Yamaha does not have a provision for bass inversion until you get to their "professional" arrangers PSR-s670 and above. Even then, it's not a separate real-time control, it's bundled into the chord recognition mode. Which are weird and more difficult than Roland anyway. frown

Korg was also pretty good until this year. The new low-priced toys they rolled out bundle bass inversion into the chord recognition mode (which is a big step backwards in functionality and playing difficulty mad ) Thankfully, their MOTL (Pa700 & up) still have it as a separately controllable function.

Bottom line, a lot of the new keyboards introduced by Roland and Korg this year are toys that I wouldn't buy for a kid. But if you stick with Roland and Korg MOTL or higher, the keyboard will recognize pretty much any chord, and also allow you to optionally specify the bass, or play in any inversion.

Edited by TedS (02/26/20 09:02 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online