SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#490024 - 02/23/20 09:26 AM Whiskey River PA4X
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Trying to get the feel close to the way Willie Nelson does it...
Whiskey River Don Mason

Edited by DonM (02/23/20 09:40 AM)

#490035 - 02/23/20 10:15 AM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Don Bavo as usual... clap
man my new Logitech Z623's really were put to the test listening to this songs wow that KORG Pa4x & You perfect together!!...
you killed it !!!

keys

#490039 - 02/23/20 10:45 AM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I think I've figured out why everybody (including me) likes Don's work. Everybody (including maybe Don) is going to hate me (nothing new there smile ) for saying this but; none of Don's stuff sounds like it's an arranger backing. It's probably the most authentic-sounding accompaniment heard on this board. Two other things; 1. 'licks', including solos, that do such a great job of emulating both tone and playing technique (especially guitar), and 2. timing. This is SO, SO important and it's mostly a 'feel' thing. Arrangers are very precise and to keep them from sounding 'robotic' (as Donny says), YOU have to supply the syncopation or little variations in tempo/timing that makes it sound LIVE. BTW, this also applies to playing to drum machines, although some have what's called a 'swing' setting which artificially does the same thing, just not as well. Here's a clue though, if you don't 'feel' it, don't do it. Nothing sounds worse than faked/forced syncopation. Anyhow, that's a really long-winded and roundabout way of saying I really liked it (as I do with most all of Don's work, and I am not even a big Country fan - except Willie, of course smile ). I think for me, it's because it sounds so 'professional' and I like all kinds of music IF IT'S DONE WELL.

Nice job Don, and I rarely say that unless I mean it.

chas

#490041 - 02/23/20 10:52 AM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Another good one, old friend - I remember that song very well from when I had the band. WOW! Now that was a long time ago. smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#490044 - 02/23/20 11:10 AM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
I think I've figured out why everybody (including me) likes Don's work. Everybody (including maybe Don) is going to hate me (nothing new there smile ) for saying this but; none of Don's stuff sounds like it's an arranger backing. It's probably the most authentic-sounding accompaniment heard on this board. Two other things; 1. 'licks', including solos, that do such a great job of emulating both tone and playing technique (especially guitar), and 2. timing. This is SO, SO important and it's mostly a 'feel' thing. Arrangers are very precise and to keep them from sounding 'robotic' (as Donny says), YOU have to supply the syncopation or little variations in tempo/timing that makes it sound LIVE. BTW, this also applies to playing to drum machines, although some have what's called a 'swing' setting which artificially does the same thing, just not as well. Here's a clue though, if you don't 'feel' it, don't do it. Nothing sounds worse than faked/forced syncopation. Anyhow, that's a really long-winded and roundabout way of saying I really liked it (as I do with most all of Don's work, and I am not even a big Country fan - except Willie, of course smile ). I think for me, it's because it sounds so 'professional' and I like all kinds of music IF IT'S DONE WELL.

Nice job Don, and I rarely say that unless I mean it.

chas

It helps to make mistakes if you want it to sound authentic, and I'm an expert at making mistakes. It's all in how you cover 'em up! smile
Actually Chas, you are exactly right, and I do try to make it not sound like an arranger, though I don't always succeed.
I'm getting really close to having a new-to-me blues song ready for public exposure. The whole challenge is to get "the feel".

#490045 - 02/23/20 11:13 AM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Thanks Gary and Donny, glad you liked it. Most of the songs I do bring back memories, and I hope they are mostly good ones.
I first posted another recording of this same song, and I liked the guitar ride better on it, but the vocals didn't seem to balance well enough, so I edited it and changed the file.
It's the only two times I did this song with this style, which is a factory country style on the Korg. I never seem to do them twice the same way.

#490047 - 02/23/20 11:29 AM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By DonM
I never seem to do them twice the same way.

Uh oh! A closet jazzer smile smile.

chas

#490048 - 02/23/20 11:41 AM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: DonM]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Thank's for another great addon to my DonM album 👍 bow
It may be hard to keep the foot light on the pedal when driving listening to this ..... 😁
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#490050 - 02/23/20 11:43 AM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Keep the pedal to the metal my friend! Thank you very much.

#490053 - 02/23/20 12:31 PM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: DonM]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

In a way you never cease to amaze me Don.... a bit late for Las Vegas nou doubt but impressive all the same. Also shows that the PA4X and you are a perfect match. ....what? Have I said so before ? Guess must be double true then !!!

regards
John

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online