Whiskey River PA4X

Posted by: DonM

Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 09:26 AM

Trying to get the feel close to the way Willie Nelson does it...
Whiskey River Don Mason
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 10:15 AM

Don Bavo as usual... clap
man my new Logitech Z623's really were put to the test listening to this songs wow that KORG Pa4x & You perfect together!!...
you killed it !!!

keys
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 10:45 AM

I think I've figured out why everybody (including me) likes Don's work. Everybody (including maybe Don) is going to hate me (nothing new there smile ) for saying this but; none of Don's stuff sounds like it's an arranger backing. It's probably the most authentic-sounding accompaniment heard on this board. Two other things; 1. 'licks', including solos, that do such a great job of emulating both tone and playing technique (especially guitar), and 2. timing. This is SO, SO important and it's mostly a 'feel' thing. Arrangers are very precise and to keep them from sounding 'robotic' (as Donny says), YOU have to supply the syncopation or little variations in tempo/timing that makes it sound LIVE. BTW, this also applies to playing to drum machines, although some have what's called a 'swing' setting which artificially does the same thing, just not as well. Here's a clue though, if you don't 'feel' it, don't do it. Nothing sounds worse than faked/forced syncopation. Anyhow, that's a really long-winded and roundabout way of saying I really liked it (as I do with most all of Don's work, and I am not even a big Country fan - except Willie, of course smile ). I think for me, it's because it sounds so 'professional' and I like all kinds of music IF IT'S DONE WELL.

Nice job Don, and I rarely say that unless I mean it.

chas
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 10:52 AM

Another good one, old friend - I remember that song very well from when I had the band. WOW! Now that was a long time ago. smile

Gary cool

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By cgiles
I think I've figured out why everybody (including me) likes Don's work. Everybody (including maybe Don) is going to hate me (nothing new there smile ) for saying this but; none of Don's stuff sounds like it's an arranger backing. It's probably the most authentic-sounding accompaniment heard on this board. Two other things; 1. 'licks', including solos, that do such a great job of emulating both tone and playing technique (especially guitar), and 2. timing. This is SO, SO important and it's mostly a 'feel' thing. Arrangers are very precise and to keep them from sounding 'robotic' (as Donny says), YOU have to supply the syncopation or little variations in tempo/timing that makes it sound LIVE. BTW, this also applies to playing to drum machines, although some have what's called a 'swing' setting which artificially does the same thing, just not as well. Here's a clue though, if you don't 'feel' it, don't do it. Nothing sounds worse than faked/forced syncopation. Anyhow, that's a really long-winded and roundabout way of saying I really liked it (as I do with most all of Don's work, and I am not even a big Country fan - except Willie, of course smile ). I think for me, it's because it sounds so 'professional' and I like all kinds of music IF IT'S DONE WELL.

chas

It helps to make mistakes if you want it to sound authentic, and I'm an expert at making mistakes. It's all in how you cover 'em up! smile
Actually Chas, you are exactly right, and I do try to make it not sound like an arranger, though I don't always succeed.
I'm getting really close to having a new-to-me blues song ready for public exposure. The whole challenge is to get "the feel".

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 11:13 AM

Thanks Gary and Donny, glad you liked it. Most of the songs I do bring back memories, and I hope they are mostly good ones.
I first posted another recording of this same song, and I liked the guitar ride better on it, but the vocals didn't seem to balance well enough, so I edited it and changed the file.
It's the only two times I did this song with this style, which is a factory country style on the Korg. I never seem to do them twice the same way.

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 11:29 AM

Originally Posted By DonM
I never seem to do them twice the same way.

Uh oh! A closet jazzer smile smile.

chas
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 11:41 AM

Thank's for another great addon to my DonM album ๐Ÿ‘ bow
It may be hard to keep the foot light on the pedal when driving listening to this ..... ๐Ÿ˜

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 11:43 AM

Keep the pedal to the metal my friend! Thank you very much.
Posted by: john smies

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 12:31 PM

In a way you never cease to amaze me Don.... a bit late for Las Vegas nou doubt but impressive all the same. Also shows that the PA4X and you are a perfect match. ....what? Have I said so before ? Guess must be double true then !!!

regards
John

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 01:28 PM

Thank you John, you are very kind to old people! The Korg is nearly perfect for my needs, if not for my aching fingers. smile
I don't see needing to change arrangers for the rest of my few years of entertaining.
Of course that doesn't mean I WON'T change! smile

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 03:18 PM

Thank you John, you are very kind to old people! The Korg is nearly perfect for my needs, if not for my aching fingers. smile
I don't see needing to change arrangers for the rest of my few years of entertaining.
Of course that doesn't mean I WON'T change! smile

coffee
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 03:55 PM

chas

Yep, what he said.

Great rendition Don.
Posted by: ekurburski

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 03:57 PM

Chas; I gotta agree 110%. Many of our discussions concerning professional arranger kb's relate to this idea of making the KB NOT sound like an arranger. Don does this as well as anyone I know!
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 06:25 PM

Damn, Mason ... they just keep getting better and better ... I'm amazed at how you can concentrate on the licks you're playing, and sing at the same time ...

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 06:38 PM

Tony, I was thinking the exact same thing. I can 'comp' and sing at the same time but I can't play 'licks' and sing at the same time. For the record, I heard BB King say the same thing in an interview, so at least we're in good company smile. And with Don, checking out some of the shapelier ladies on the dance floor adds a third level of complexity smile.

chas

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 07:11 PM

And with Don, checking out some of the shapelier ladies on the dance floor adds a third level of complexity smile.

chas

rotf2
Posted by: jingleman

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/23/20 07:45 PM

Like a good whiskey...just keeps getting better with age smile
Posted by: Saswick

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/24/20 12:15 AM

Brilliant, no wonder your fingers are aching. Col

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/24/20 02:41 AM

The Korg is nearly perfect for my needs, if not for my aching fingers. smile

Don would a lighter touch midi controller KB
help the aching fingers night after night?

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/24/20 09:10 AM

Without doubt it would, but I don't want to do that. I can deal with it if it doesn't get worse.
Posted by: skude

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/25/20 12:39 AM

Great! Don, how can you play those licks while singing at the same time. Can't even play half of that not singing. If I just could play a part of that, I would be very proud of myself. Thanks!
skude
Posted by: montunoman

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/25/20 08:09 AM

Great stuff, Don. I enjoyed listening and Iโ€™d like thank for sharing. Keep it up!
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/25/20 08:57 AM

Like always, Don's technique is GREAT. Hate that song and others like it. Wouldn't play it for $500.00.

Different tastes. Works GREAT for others....NOT FOR ME!

Russ (grumpy old man) Lay

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/25/20 10:00 AM

Originally Posted By captain Russ
Like always, Don's technique is GREAT. Hate that song and others like it. Wouldn't play it for $500.00.
Different tastes. Works GREAT for others....NOT FOR ME!
Russ (grumpy old man) Lay

But everyone has a price, right Russ ... wink laugh2

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/25/20 10:02 AM

no wonder why no one wants to post any songs here on sz
Posted by: salsaman

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/25/20 10:43 AM

I love that tune. I like Don's version way better than Willie Nelson's. Don is a "superstar". Absolutely an awesome rendition. The guitar parts are nothing short of amazing. Thank you Don for all the things you do.

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/25/20 10:50 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
no wonder why no one wants to post any songs here on sz

Donny ... what are you talking about? confused1 every post on this thread is a compliment ... Russ loved the performance, but doesn't like the song - so what ???

PS: some people have been posting songs on SZ ...

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/25/20 11:02 AM

Thanks guys. It's good to get positive feedback from you!
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/25/20 11:06 AM

Tony, there IS NO PRICE for this one. Had to do them when I was struggling. Never again!

Besides, Don's version would be far superior.

No question, he is the master on steel guitar sounding licks. The Willie sound was good, too. It's just that I always thought that Willie should give up guitar playing (UGH) and stick to writing. I'm a big fan of some of the material he has written.

Russ (jazz snob) Lay
Posted by: Jez

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/25/20 11:22 AM

Great playing and vocals !! Have to listen very carefully to affirm itโ€™s not a real guitar in the mix mostly due to your expert playing technique and the right โ€œfeelโ€. Would be interesting if you tried out some of the guitar vsti to simulate a real guitar ๐Ÿ˜Š
Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing !!

Best Regards,
Jez

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 02/25/20 11:47 AM

Tony, there IS NO PRICE for this one.
Russ (jazz snob) Lay

grin

No question, he is the master on steel guitar sounding licks.
Russ (jazz snob) Lay

Absolutely !

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 04/18/20 02:03 PM

Seems this song is getting some more "listens", and I want to thank everyone again for that and for the nice reception. I have since sold the PA4X, but I sure miss a lot about it.
Posted by: cassp

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 04/20/20 07:47 AM

Thanks so much, Don. Thatโ€™s exactly what I needed to hear. Damn, you play the meanest keyboard guitar Iโ€™ve ever heard. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Re: Whiskey River PA4X - 04/20/20 10:43 PM

Thanks Cass, glad I was able to help.