SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#489926 - 02/22/20 12:49 AM PSR styles vs Band in a box
Bachus Offline

Woody does an incredible job showing of these 2 in a contest..
Great comments too

http://keyszone.boards.net

#489927 - 02/22/20 01:40 AM Re: PSR styles vs Band in a box [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Well the PSR sounds way softer and less realistic, its more like an amateur band that doesn’t play much together so are very loose sounding.

BIAB sound like a group of tight knit musicians that really enjoy working together and become as one.

Bill

#489937 - 02/22/20 05:13 AM Re: PSR styles vs Band in a box [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
Well the PSR sounds way softer and less realistic, its more like an amateur band that doesn’t play much together so are very loose sounding.

BIAB sound like a group of tight knit musicians that really enjoy working together and become as one.

Bill

I do agree with you...
Wouldn’t it be great if you could run band in a box, and/or a DAW on a Wersi OAX?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#489943 - 02/22/20 05:51 AM Re: PSR styles vs Band in a box [Re: Bachus]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Great find Bachus! I own them both and am glad I do. I have been a BIAB addict since they started the product long ago. PG Music has some phenomenal programmers and of course they bring in some great "Guest artists" to create those lovely RealTracks. I sent them a note and asked them to please bring in Beegie Adair for some comping.... ha ha… never know. Each year when I upgrade, I give a silent salute to the team that keeps this train chuggin' down the tracks! Love BIAB (and SX900).

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#489957 - 02/22/20 10:12 AM Re: PSR styles vs Band in a box [Re: saxxman]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Thanks for this Woody. I realize I really need to spend more time with BIAB. One of my big complaints has always been not being able to play BIAB in real time. I am beginning to understand I can't really play an arranger in real time without spending a great deal of time "arranging" my tune with registrations, ect.

BIAB with its Real Tracks sounds so much better than the arranger so why not use it?

#489964 - 02/22/20 11:37 AM Re: PSR styles vs Band in a box [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Randy,
what are you using for the midi sounds, a soft synth or one of your keyboards.

Have had no luck using sx900, no matter what setting I try my midi drums default to piano sound, or violin. Tried XG setting.

Only mode I actually get drums is if I set I set biab to GS, and then I can’t access the rest of the sx900 sounds.

So hoping one of my settings might be incorrect.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#489970 - 02/22/20 02:26 PM Re: PSR styles vs Band in a box [Re: rikkisbears]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Hi Randy,

Have had no luck using sx900, no matter what setting I try my midi drums default to piano sound, or violin. Tried XG setting.

Only mode I actually get drums is if I set I set biab to GS, and then I can’t access the rest of the sx900 sounds.

As far as I am aware Yamaha still follow their own XG mapping system, (The first 128 voices follow the GM standard) also a lot of Yamaha’s (Not sure about the latest) use channel 16 for drums rather than the normal channel 10.
Not sure if the above will help, but may be worth looking at.

Bill

#489971 - 02/22/20 03:00 PM Re: PSR styles vs Band in a box [Re: Bachus]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
If it's not real time. may as well do full sequencing, then you really get PRO results...Use any virtual instrument sets you want.
Me I like real time....that's why I never got BIAB.

But I'm just an old organ player.

#489973 - 02/22/20 03:09 PM Re: PSR styles vs Band in a box [Re: abacus]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By abacus
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Hi Randy,

As far as I am aware Yamaha still follow their own XG mapping system, (The first 128 voices follow the GM standard) also a lot of Yamaha’s (Not sure about the latest) use channel 16 for drums rather than the normal channel 10.
Not sure if the above will help, but may be worth looking at.

Bill

Hi Bill,
it’s really weird what is happening, I thought I used it years ago with my psr1500, maybe I’m mistaken.

I’ll give what you suggested a try, didn’t occur to me to try a different channel.

Even pg forums suggestions didn’t help.

At least I can use it in gs mode, and the drums work, but, once biab sends out that gs message, the program changes for factory banks aren’t recognised.

I’ll let you know if it works.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#489984 - 02/22/20 11:05 PM Re: PSR styles vs Band in a box [Re: Bachus]
Sokratis 1974 Offline

Loc: Hellas, Creta, Iraklion
This is the advantage of a full Audio Style with melodic insturments and not just Audio Drums, and the simple poor and outdated midi styles... This is my opinion...
However with BIB we can not play real time chord changes with Real Tracks/Audio Tracks...
Yamaha has a proprietary patent for full Audio Styles (with melodic instruments) however she holds it for herself...
There is a try from me in this video for a Audio Style with Audio Drums (Rex files), Audio Percussions (Rex Files), and a chanel with Audio Guitar... Its a my private patent for more realism...
I hope in the future to released all this elements from Yamaha and more companies...

Edited by Sokratis 1974 (02/22/20 11:07 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online