SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#486681 - 01/13/20 07:19 AM The More I Play Piano
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
The more I understand the gap between piano and arranger.

That said, I’m certainly no virtuoso on the piano but I have learned how to play chords and bass notes(left hand) on simpler songs. If someone plays a simple song in(for instance) the key of C, I just play along...no programming.

My Genos still does a wonderful job, but there’s no way I can just jump into a song with my Genos without having ‘arranged’ it first.

My cousin makes a very good living with a stage piano, drum machine and mic. He does everything from nursing homes to parties. I’m beginning to understand how that works.

😊

Edited by guitpic1 (01/13/20 07:25 AM)

#486684 - 01/13/20 07:34 AM Re: The More I Play Piano [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By guitpic1
The more I understand the gap between piano and arranger.

That said, I’m certainly no virtuoso on the piano but I have learned how to play chords and bass notes(left hand) on simpler songs. If someone plays a simple song in(for instance) the key of C, I just play along...no programming.

My Genos still does a wonderful job, but there’s no way I can just jump into a song with my Genos without having ‘arranged’ it first.

My cousin makes a very good living with a stage piano, drum machine and mic. He does everything from nursing homes to parties. I’m beginning to understand how that works.

😊

Sounds like you want to simplify your music and go ahead like your cousin's version and style of entertaining...nothing wrong with that... I understand the complications of all the arranging and I sometimes just want to play simply against a simple rhythm backing with left hand bass and sing,..do you have any recordings of your cousin playing would love to hear him?.. I too was thinking of just getting a Hammond SK1 and a Roland BK7m to make life easier..
Go with your gut feeling and buy and use what makes you happy life is too short....good luck...

#486687 - 01/13/20 07:49 AM Re: The More I Play Piano [Re: guitpic1]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
I've always said that if you can play a piano (and organ) properly, or at least reasonable good, there is not much need for any other instruments.
In this life it's too late for me to be any good at it, but if there is any next life, I can come back as a squirrel and run up and down the keys... 😁🍻
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#486691 - 01/13/20 08:06 AM Re: The More I Play Piano [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

#486692 - 01/13/20 08:08 AM Re: The More I Play Piano [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Suppose this would work in a memory care unit? 😊

#486695 - 01/13/20 08:11 AM Re: The More I Play Piano [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By guitpic1
Suppose this would work in a memory care unit? 😊

Sure wake them all up for sure!!!

#486731 - 01/13/20 11:59 AM Re: The More I Play Piano [Re: guitpic1]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi ,
of late I’m actually spending more time on my piano than I am on my sx.

I still find it easier to learn a tune for keyboard vs piano , though.

Figure piano will also help with keyboard skills, not so much with left hand,
for piano I prefer left hand arpeggio style songs, whereas keyboard I play full chords.

If I could sing it would be great, unfortunately never gonna happen , haha.

Part of the online piano course I found, one of the offshoots of the main course
500 songs in 5 days.
Teaches one to play a chord progression that could be used for 500 songs.
They include the chord chart and lyrics to go with them.

Over the 5 lessons one per day, they teach you how to improve and add the twiddly bits to spice up the chords.

Last day they even teach you how to add melody.

All done by ear which is something I’ve never been able to do.

Just the chords and lyrics.

Quite interesting really, just wish I could sing. Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#486749 - 01/13/20 01:47 PM Re: The More I Play Piano [Re: rikkisbears]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Wow, what a terrible comparison. Arranger Keyboard and a Piano are two different animals. My opinion is based on having a Dad who was a concert piano player and me using an arranger keyboard to make a living . Repairs for both are very different, most technicians cannot do both repairs.

The art of playing is different; my Dad could not play my keyboard – and I could not play his piano. Playing keyboard is part me and part keyboard. Playing Piano is me. Most good piano players do not wish to play a digital Piano. The feel, the response is different, and a keyboard use speakers, a Piano uses the entire room.

If you have the time, I believe that learning piano will bring you a new pleasure. It will expose you to a new world. IF YOU CAN, DO IT.
(No styles needed) (smile)
John C.

#486763 - 01/13/20 03:17 PM Re: The More I Play Piano [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yeah, what John said. Except it was my mother who was the concert pianist. She could literally play ANYTHING if you put the music in front of her. Couldn't play happy birthday without it.

#486785 - 01/13/20 06:35 PM Re: The More I Play Piano [Re: bruno123]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By bruno123
Wow, what a terrible comparison. Arranger Keyboard and a Piano are two different animals. My opinion is based on having a Dad who was a concert piano player and me using an arranger keyboard to make a living . Repairs for both are very different, most technicians cannot do both repairs.

The art of playing is different; my Dad could not play my keyboard – and I could not play his piano. Playing keyboard is part me and part keyboard. Playing Piano is me. Most good piano players do not wish to play a digital Piano. The feel, the response is different, and a keyboard use speakers, a Piano uses the entire room.

If you have the time, I believe that learning piano will bring you a new pleasure. It will expose you to a new world. IF YOU CAN, DO IT.
(No styles needed) (smile)
John C.

Hi John,
wasn’t sure if that was a reply to me , or something to do with the utube clip above?

Can’t afford to watch it at the moment, hubby got carried away watching u tube clips, and nearly ran out our month’s data allowance. Haha.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online