SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#486710 - 01/13/20 08:58 AM Perhaps the biggest challenge for those playing
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
At assisted living or memory care units....

Nobody helps out.

When entertaining....the staff sits on their phones, waiting for others to help out.

I see this all the time when teaching high school

#486715 - 01/13/20 09:55 AM Re: Perhaps the biggest challenge for those playing [Re: guitpic1]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By guitpic1
At assisted living or memory care units....

Nobody helps out.

When entertaining....the staff sits on their phones, waiting for others to help out.

I see this all the time when teaching high school

A man once called into the Tonight Show and told Johnny Carson that he was upset that his wife always wanted to watch Johnny in bed, instead of enjoying the time with her husband. Johnny's reply was "I guess you'll have to put on a better show than I do"

Engaging a room is the job of a performer, and that includes the staff. Give your energy to everyone there, and it'll grow and feed upon itself. The residents will enjoy seeing their workers happy, and your job will get easier.
I have to ask ... what high school allows students to use their phones in school?????

#486805 - 01/14/20 07:08 AM Re: Perhaps the biggest challenge for those playing [Re: guitpic1]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Guitpic,

How would you like staff to help you? Have you asked?

Yes, I run into plenty of staff at these types of places that are lazy.... But I’ve had some staff that also have fun with the music I play. Especially “ dance” music . I find that the younger staff and the older folks both like 70’s disco, stuff like “Boogie Shoes” by KC and the Sunshine Band. Although the residents might not be able to dance, I find they enjoy watching the younger staff “ get down”

But I’m not sure what you mean by “ help” Maybe you’re talking about setting up? Assisting the residents get to your show? Be more specific and I’m sure you’ll get some more good advice.

Edited by montunoman (01/14/20 07:59 AM)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#486810 - 01/14/20 07:51 AM Re: Perhaps the biggest challenge for those playing [Re: Uncle Dave]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
[/quote
I have to ask ... what high school allows students to use their phones in school????? [/quote]

I don’t mean to distract from guitpic original post, but thought I’d address that since you asked. I’ve been a high teacher 25 years and the phone issue can turn into quite the power struggle. There are many students that will not cooperate when asked to put away there’s phones and become confrontation about it. These students parents know that their children are completely distracted by their phones but they still let their children come to school with their phone anyways, often saying they need to get ahold of their children at a moments notice.

What I do is try to use their electronic devices as learning tools. There’s plenty of educational apps and other resource that I use in my classroom that enhance the learning experience , but I do have monitor closely , and I know plenty of “ unauthorized “ and inappropriate use of the students devices is going on. Yes it’s a struggle, and the struggle is real!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#486815 - 01/14/20 09:25 AM Re: Perhaps the biggest challenge for those playing [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
No phones in school period. I used to watch the kids get out at the end of the day and first thing was reach for the phone. If parents need to get in touch call the office and if its an emergency the student will be contacted immediately.
No way can you get anything done in a classroom if they have phones.
As for the NH the staff is there to monitor the patients. If they don't and you have aproblem alert the supervisor. I don't know how to "engage" the staff as well as the patients. Your playing one song at a time, hopefully its entertaineing so what shouldl be different.

#486818 - 01/14/20 10:58 AM Re: Perhaps the biggest challenge for those playing [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
No phones in school period.

I was so lucky that only my youngest of 4 kids had a phone while in high school, and in senior year we agreed that she could take it to school, but I had Verizon disable all texts/calls from outside the immediate family during school hours. This was a terrific option. Kept her focused during the day, and if something important came up, she could contact Mom, Dad, or siblings. I might have paid about $5 a month for that service, but it was SO worth it. The hours allowed her to text on the bus to, and from school, but nothing during the hours of 7:15-2:15 M-thru Fri. smile

#486819 - 01/14/20 11:02 AM Re: Perhaps the biggest challenge for those playing [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Great option for kids phones. I think schools should make it mandatory. Just for fun in my computer lab I could set up the system so the kids could text each other, of course it all went thru my computer first. Lots of fun for the last few minutes of class.
On another idea, I saw a DJ who put up a big screen and did the same thing at a kids parties. Something about geting their message on a large screen entertained them more than the music.

#486846 - 01/14/20 04:28 PM Re: Perhaps the biggest challenge for those playing [Re: guitpic1]
Uncle Dave Offline

Brilliant! (literally!)

#486852 - 01/14/20 04:45 PM Re: Perhaps the biggest challenge for those playing [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
INGENIOUS !!!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online