SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#48612 - 04/01/02 12:40 AM KN6000 to computer [help]
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Hello All,
I am thinking of purchasing Cakewalk to enhance my enjoyment of both my KN6000 and computer, as I am relatively new to both, I am hopeing someone can advise me as to any cables or additinal hardware I will require to facilitate this.Any advise ,tips,or pointers in setting up cakewalk would be much appreciated.

Gilbert

#48613 - 04/01/02 02:54 AM Re: KN6000 to computer [help]
technicsplayer Offline

all you need in the way of hardware is midi cables to gameport interface, or, a host lead to serial D cable.

It does not matter which connection you use... sometimes midi cables can be easier for beginners because you can pull out the record or playback plug if having problems and track down the source more easily.

The thing that confuses most beginners is you cannot sequence with composers that easily in a computer sequencer, compared with the keyboard sequencer. With cakewalk you will be limited to producing songs in 16 track format - fine if you want to play bass and accomp tracks and loop drum samples yourself.

The other possibility is to play the 6000 backing into cakewalk and edit it there.

Cakewalk will of course be easier from the point of view of editing midi files and lyrics etc.

if you want to use cakewalk to multitrack with technics voices use Wim's instrument definition file for Cakewalk which has been here for a long time http://www.synthzone.com/technics.htm

If you want to produce audio cds you will also need an audio cable from keyboard line outs to soundcard line in.

#48614 - 04/01/02 07:16 AM Re: KN6000 to computer [help]
gilbert Offline

Hi Technicsplayer,
Many thanks for once again respondingto to my querries it is greatly appreciated.I think I have the ideal now, thanks to your explanation.I am thinking of buying Cakewalk simply because I am not familiar with these type of programms and know of no others, is there better? I would welcome any advise and contacts re alternative purchases.Although I am only in the lerning stage I would perfer to purchase a programm that woill meet most of my future requirments i.e recording discs.seqnencing,mixing,and score writting if you have any comments great
thanks Gilbert

#48615 - 04/01/02 07:38 AM Re: KN6000 to computer [help]
technicsplayer Offline

a lot cheaper would be power tracks http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm
this does most of everything you need in the way of sequencing, audio recording, and score writing at a good price. Cakewalk has more plug-ins available for the more advanced user.

If you look at http://www.tucows.com/ and search for 'midi' you can get some free programs to try out. They may not be as professional as cakewalk or power tracks but are freeware.

#48616 - 04/01/02 08:25 AM Re: KN6000 to computer [help]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Gilbert
I have a program for sequecing called Evolution Audio Pro, Midi and Audio Sequencing software which is very good and at a very reasonable price, especially if you are just getting into computer sequencingand can be seen at
Quote:
Originally" TARGET=_blank>www.evolution.co.uk.[QUOTE]Originally posted by gilbert:
Hi Technicsplayer,
Many thanks for once again respondingto to my querries it is greatly appreciated.I think I have the ideal now, thanks to your explanation.I am thinking of buying Cakewalk simply because I am not familiar with these type of programms and know of no others, is there better? I would welcome any advise and contacts re alternative purchases.Although I am only in the lerning stage I would perfer to purchase a programm that woill meet most of my future requirments i.e recording discs.seqnencing,mixing,and score writting if you have any comments great
thanks Gilbert

#48617 - 04/01/02 08:25 AM Re: KN6000 to computer [help]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Gilbert
I have a program for sequecing called Evolution Audio Pro, Midi and Audio Sequencing software which is very good and at a very reasonable price, especially if you are just getting into computer sequencingand can be seen at
Quote:
Originally" TARGET=_blank>www.evolution.co.uk.[QUOTE]Originally posted by gilbert:
Hi Technicsplayer,
thanks Gilbert

#48618 - 04/01/02 09:43 AM Re: KN6000 to computer [help]
gilbert Offline

Hi again Technicsplayer and hello Peter,
many thanks for your most helpfull information.I have looked at the specifications for Power Tracks and like it.It does not seem as complicated as Cakewalk and as you say considerable cheaper.I am also checking out the Evolution Adio Pro which also sounds as if it would meet my needs.I will keep you posted on my final descision
thanks to you both Gilbert

#48619 - 04/02/02 12:01 AM Re: KN6000 to computer [help]
technicsplayer Offline

the one thing I liked best about Evolution was the excellent piano roll display, which was very clear and aided editing.

Power Tracks gives a nicer score print out, but you micro edit on the score display, which is not quite as convenient as a piano roll. However cut and paste of measures is easy in its own display and there ia also an event list in Power Tracks you can use.

Each program has its plus and minus, just like keyboards.

#48620 - 04/02/02 07:54 AM Re: KN6000 to computer [help]
gilbert Offline

Hi there technicsplaker and Peter,
I have looked into both the the Power tracks and Evolusion programms and have ordered both, still for less than the cost of Cakewalk. I can now try both and settle with the one I feel most comfortable with.
Many thanks a guys you have both been great
Best Wishes Gilbert

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online