SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#48451 - 06/14/02 09:49 AM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Yes RGTAA you are correct. The cdrw can be hooked up to the 9000 scsi 2 but only to upload to the 9000 and not to record.
However, as progressive as Yamaha seems to be with their hi end boards it would not suprise me to see that possibility happen too.
The 3.1 upgrade from the 2.1 required 35 pages of manual addendum for all the NEW things the 9000 will now do. I continue to be amazed.
You may be interested to know that yesterday, Scott Yee was here with his hopped up psr 2000, along with Dreamer (Andrea from Italy) playing my new 9000 and me playing my KN6500. It was a great day of music and singing. We really got a great comparison of the three boards and I have to say they are all just terrific. Cliff Anderson from the GA forum was also here and he played my KN.
Scott is a tremendous performer. Andrea has great talent, and Cliff and I listened a lot and played as little as we could get by with. These boards all have their strength and weaknesses, just like the people that play them
PS the volume 8 of the 20 for 1 song project will be emailed for upload sometime today.
Best to all from Bebop

#48452 - 06/14/02 10:56 AM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
technicsplayer Offline

precisely, rgtta was correct in agreeing with me that your statement was entirely misleading.
Who talks of using cdrw to read cds? Cdrw is talked of only in the context of making cds, which is impossible with the 9000.

In order to helpfully advance your learning curve I can also say that there is no possibility whatsoever of Yamaha adding external cdrw capability to the 9000 in the future either, it would require a complete rebuild of the internal hardware and operating system from the ground up, so you will have to wait a very long time indeed to end up surprised by that possibility...

shall I carry on with the other inconsistent statements?

#48453 - 06/14/02 12:47 PM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
rgtaa Offline

technicsplayer!
To be fair to BEBOP ... you are not a very good reader,(at least in reading BEBOP's note of yesterday)! He never said anything about recording from the Prs9000 onto cdrw! I was only offering my take on the matter because YOU TOOK offence with it. BEBOP's exact comment was:

BEBOP writes:
I WILL have TWO hard drives on the Yamaha 9000. One inside and one on the scsi chain outside, as well as a zip drive and a CDRW drive, etc.

P.S. So I think my note above more accuratly reflects what I believe he was referring to! Are you suppose to be the VOICE of TRUTH on this Technics Forum? If so, then be MAN enough to admit you might have read more into his comment then he did!
Gee, if I was gonna get a scii CDRW ... i would probably use it more then just in the prs9000 , but it would be nice I could attach it to prs9000 and it would then act as regular cd drive for prs9000 purpose!

If I was interested in scii ... I would probably get a scii cdrw myself before I would get a scii cd player! Wouldn't you?

I too was very excited about possiblities of prs9000 hook ups and bought the pc host cable, ect, ... but I'm too lasy to use it! LOL I just have fun making music on the prs9000 without hooking it up to cakewalk,Band in a box 11, sonar, finale 2002, ect... all programs I have but am just too Lazy to use! bummer!

BEBOP!
Sounds like you are having a Blast! Playing with your Arranger Buddies! I have gone to Scottyee's Page and listened to his music! VERY good stuff! I look forward to your midi of the event! ON Scottyee's Homepage he is playing a technics I believe ... sounded good! So, ... the musican does count ... to make these things sound good! LOL

[This message has been edited by rgtaa (edited 06-14-2002).]

#48454 - 06/14/02 01:49 PM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
Alain Offline

Loc: De Panne , Belgium
Hello,
I can't help myself...but comparing the technics kn6000 to a Toyota.....I hate this one.
I hava a yamaha psr9000 pro and a technics kn6500 and they are Mercedes cars to me...no Toyota..no Suzuki...no Mitsubushi..

You can buy 4 Toyota's for one Lexus...but the kn6500 and the psr9000/9000 pro are almost the same price and same quality.

Of course ...it depends on what you like..but if you don't like these boards you're better off with a Casio.

I am selling my technics kn6500 with hdsx6 and hdtechmanager6000 in order to buy the kn7000....the main reason is the Usb interface.
It's a pitty the psr9000/9000pro doesn't have one...it has a scsi connection but this is so old fashion....

Alain

#48455 - 06/14/02 01:58 PM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
rgtaa Offline

Alain!
You might want to check out the USB card that goes into the prs9000! It's 150 bucks (120 for the card and 30 for shipping)! Go to yahoo prs styles forum to find out more about it! Lots of folks there speak highly of it!

P.S. The other option is SCII because it is now so Dirt Cheap ... on yahoo prs styles forum people are saying they are picking up zip and cdrw's for 35 bucks... because the tech level is 2 years old! And places are dumping them! Check on other board to see what I'm referring to.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alain:
[
I am selling my technics kn6500 with hdsx6 and hdtechmanager6000 in order to buy the kn7000....the main reason is the Usb interface.
It's a pitty the psr9000/9000pro doesn't have one...it has a scsi connection but this is so old fashion....

Alain[/B]

[This message has been edited by rgtaa (edited 06-14-2002).]

#48456 - 06/14/02 10:50 PM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by rgtaa:
[B]technicsplayer!
... you are not a very good reader,(at least in reading
BEBOP's note of yesterday)! He never said anything about
recording from the Prs9000 onto cdrw!

Quote Alec:
"Who talks of using cdrw to read cds? Cdrw is talked of
only in the context of making cds"

Maybe there is someone else who also should read more
carefully?
I agree in Alec's oservation here, what on earth do you
connect a CD-RW for if it was not for write into it?

Reading Bebop's posts, he talks big words about the Yam 9000
being so superior and being able to use CD-RW, so if you ask
me, he was making a point out that you could record CD's on
the Yam 9000 by connect a SCSI CD-RW.
That is how I think most readers would understand Bebops post.
If you want to read CD's, you use a SCSI CD, not a CD-RW.

According to the comment about Alec being the voice of truth,
well, since he have answered and solved more problems for people
here about the KN's and many other related topics than anyone,
maybe he is?
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#48457 - 06/15/02 01:49 AM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
technicsplayer Offline

Ha, Ha, Ha, now I see the joke! - a wholly unconvincing attempt at desperate back pedaling...

After a series of posts trumpeting the amazing technical superiority of the 9000 bebop tells us it has a socket that can even accept a cd writer.

You go to a shop, and ask the sales man, 'what does that socket do?'. He answers, 'it's for a cd writer'. 'That's for me then' you say, putting your money down. When you get home, you discover that you can't write any cds.

When you complain the explanation is 'of course everybody knows that when you say you can use a cd writer, the last thing that you must expect to be able to do is actually write any cds... but you can read them!'

As far as scsi is concerned, I agree with you. It may be entirely possible to pick up some bargains, and good luck to you.

This is because, as Alain pointed out, scsi is an obsolete, outdated technology in this area, overtaken in performance, flexibilty and ease of use by USB2 and ieee1394 firewire, and thus no one will be making any equipment for it any more.

#48458 - 06/15/02 03:52 AM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
rgtaa Offline

technicsplayer and Gunnar Jonny!

Orginally when this Scii CDRW discussion started BEBOP didn't mention prs9000 recording to cdrw... but yesterday BEBOP did add that he thought it might be a possibility that with new os upgrade ... who knows ... yamaha might put it in... since new OS upgrades added so many new things compared to when prs9000 came out!
But I doubt this myself, but , as he says , WHO KNOWS! And it showed he is aware that prs9000 at present doesn't record to cdrw.

Hey I'm glad the prs9000 is two years old, it orginally cost 4,000 dollars and Now 1,999 new (1,699 floor model)! And SCII is fast enough to load styles,midis ect into the prs9000! Better then floopies! And as with price drop of prs9000 ... so the price drop in SCII ... good deal!

How much does your KN6500 with hard drive thingie cost again?

In either case, I will now take leave of this Technics forum and go back to my other ones, since I already told you why I showed up here in the first place in my post yesterday.

Wish you guys the BEST! Maybe Technics will come to my town ... then I can join you as a Techie myself!

[This message has been edited by rgtaa (edited 06-15-2002).]

#48459 - 06/15/02 05:29 AM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
technicsplayer Offline

You have raised many points, mostly on entirely different subjects to those I raised, I have no arguments about them because everyone is free to have their own opinion. As I said everyone ends up with what they are personally happy with. I only object when opinions are voiced that in no way correspond to the known facts.

I am very familiar with 9000 and pro, but I know there are many other long standing members here who are not that familiar with them, and certainly would not be familiar with any inside chat on the psr styles forum, why should they be? I was not the only one to see the exageration here... I talked myself early on about the exitement of a new toy.

However you may look at it, the impression was quite clearly given, and all I have done is clarified something that otherwise other members would have taken as fact when it was not. Changing to flights of fancy about what might happen in the future just serves to deflect attention from the subject under discussion again, no-one was talking originally about what might happen in the future.

There are similar factual points to be made in other areas of this post, but let us leave that now. I just don't believe that leaving others with an inaccurate impression is the proper use of a forum, no matter how enthusiastic you may be.

I sincerely wish you the best too,

#48460 - 06/15/02 05:34 AM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
rgtaa, whoever you are, it's nice to see that you edited away
the comment about upset somebody in the original of your last
post.
The main issue for the posts/replies I've wrote about this
"hallelujah choir" regarding the Yam 9000, is only because of,
and as I have said several times, when compare different keyboards
or equipment, either do it fair and use facts, or state out loud
and clear that this is very personal views, whishes and meanings
regardless of anything else.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online