SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#483435 - 12/09/19 09:39 PM OT: Outlook and Windows 10 ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
A couple of weeks ago we purchased a new laptop and installed Win 10 ... I also purchased Office which includes Outlook as an e-mail handler ... I created our two e-mail accounts - one a Gmail, and the other a Verizon in Outlook ... everything was working fine - I would click on the Outlook icon and it would show both e-mail accounts ... until today when I clicked on the Outlook icon - it showed a circle indicating it was loading, but then -NOTHING ... Outlook didn't open ... Looking at the settings, it APPEARS that everything is OK, but obviously it's not ...
Any ideas ?

#483439 - 12/10/19 12:25 AM Re: OT: Outlook and Windows 10 ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Enter this in your browser.

https://outlook.live.com/mail/inbox

#483441 - 12/10/19 12:52 AM Re: OT: Outlook and Windows 10 ... [Re: tony mads usa]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Check down detector https://downdetector.com/ to see if there are any problems with your email providers, if not follow below.

1. Re-start the computer
2. Make sure you have a solid internet connection
3. Make sure you have all the latest updates (Including those for the Office Program)
4. Make sure your anti-virus is up to date (If you are using the Windows Defender make sure it has updated)
5. Check to see if anything else is not working (If it relates to the network run the network troubleshooter)
6. Run Office Repair

If the above fails then it possible that your profile is corrupted, go here and follow the instructions here

Hopefully you can soon get back up and running.
NOTE: As Graham says you can temporally use the Email providers web service to check you email while you are getting things sorted.

Bill

#483566 - 12/10/19 02:23 PM Re: OT: Outlook and Windows 10 ... [Re: abacus]
tony mads usa Offline

Thanks for the tips, guys ... I actually did a System Restore back to the last Win10 update (11/23) and Outlook restored, no problem ... now I'm wondering if the update is still installed?

#483570 - 12/10/19 03:10 PM Re: OT: Outlook and Windows 10 ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Switch over to Linux Cinnamon Mint! Free yourself from the tyranny of Microsoft. It has a graphical user interface, comes with a complete "Office Suite" called Libre Office... and is completely free.

Years ago, I was a partner in a retail computer store. Microsoft promised the moon and constantly delivered a bag of nothing-burgers... at additional cost, each time. Drove us nuts trying to "educate" our clients on this and that change... and the associated, astronomical costs.

When IBM gave up the ghost and sold off their PC division, it spelled the beginning of the end for us. We nearly pulled off our rescue from extinction when we purchased a shipment of Commodore Amiga Computers. Alas, they only came with a floppy disc drive and soon, after a couple of minor iterations, went the way of the obsolete.

Sad... but much wiser for the experience.

----Dave

#483577 - 12/10/19 04:36 PM Re: OT: Outlook and Windows 10 ... [Re: Riceroni9]
tony mads usa Offline

Dave, how long have you been using that ... and is it compatible with all software?

#483588 - 12/10/19 06:09 PM Re: OT: Outlook and Windows 10 ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Tony:

I took a gamble on Linux Mint when Windows attracted rats and destroyed so many of my little treasures (thankfully backed up on another off-line machine) and I would be a liar if I told you it is compatible with "ALL SOFTWARE." The Libre Set that comes with it does "translate" freely with the other "OFFICE" many still use. I've been using MINT for more than a year and am using it with this reply... on-line.

It works both ways... with Microsoft Office and even with the cheap version called WORKS which I still use for writing lyrics. Thing is, as I write this, developers and software creators are busy generating code for other things... even games aplenty. (Apple is not in the picture yet... but that day will probably come.)

For music creators, the popular Music Editor, "AUDACITY" is available. I have used Audacity once or twice because it has more powerful features than my current favorite.

Several good graphics programs are available as well. The software produced in Linux come in several flavors... but the Graphical MINT is tops in my book.

For those who prefer caution, there is a work-around that allows you to run Windows in a different section of your hard drive while also working with MINT. (It is called WINE.) I always recommend you explore new stuff to the max... but I had no reasonable choice and am happy with the path taken.

Linux Mint will work "on-line" or on a safe, stand alone PC so you can operate in complete safety. If you don't like downloading software, A Linux Mint CD can be purchased at their site... when last I checked, it costs $15.00. (Don't hold me to that 'cause I have not looked in quite some time.)

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

All the best, ----Dave

#483591 - 12/10/19 07:07 PM Re: OT: Outlook and Windows 10 ... [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I use Libre on all my stuff. Before, it was called Open Office. No problems at all with word processing, spread sheets, etc.

#483592 - 12/10/19 07:13 PM Re: OT: Outlook and Windows 10 ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

What happened to good old Ms Office?

And Yahoo mail

#483593 - 12/10/19 07:47 PM Re: OT: Outlook and Windows 10 ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Donny Outlook express is older then Yahoo mail.. smile

I used Linux for about ten years.. it resided in my MediaStation.. wink

Dave I tried to install cinnamon a couple times.. my download would not down the last percent and would not install. tired

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online