SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#48308 - 03/24/06 11:48 PM 1gig SD card survey.
sturgeon Offline

Has anyone managed to get SD Jukebox to work properly with a 1gig SD card?(creating user playlists etc.), and if so what make of SD card did you use?

I have just had a reply to my SD card query from Panasonic saying (after consulting their factory) that the problem is with my particular card. My card was made by Toshiba (one of the largest manufacturers of SD cards in the world), and Toshiba say their cards (up to and including 2gig) are compatible with Panasonic audio equipment.
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/p-media/english/compati/sd_list.htm

As I said before, my card works perfectly with RealOne Jukebox for Panasonic (but this does not provide user playlists, only a master playlist). I know Roger Mepstead has had trouble with a 1gig card and SD Jukebox. Does SD Jukebox work with any brand of 1 or 2gig SD card?

Cheers,

s.

[This message has been edited by sturgeon (edited 03-26-2006).]

#48309 - 03/26/06 03:47 AM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hiya S
Still no luck I'm afraid - I've now tried both Kingston and Traveler 1 Gb SD Cards and both have failed...
Fascinating ain't it...
Rog

#48310 - 03/26/06 06:00 AM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
RMepstead Offline

Ok - I've just made Traveler 1 Gb SD card work by formatting it inside SD Jukebox. It already had a copy of all my Technics registrations etc on it which formatting wiped out but if that helped make a 1Gb SD Card work the it was worth it...
My Traveler SD Card was purchased from Aldi here in the UK...

#48311 - 03/26/06 09:35 AM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
sturgeon Offline

Now that is fascinating. So we have two on the list that don't work and one that does. I wonder who makes Traveller SD cards?

Its good news that any work! I wonder just how picky SD Jukebox is though.

Cheers Rog,

s.

#48312 - 03/26/06 10:28 AM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
RMepstead Offline

Hey S
Maybe we're the only two people wanting to use a 1Gb SD Card...certainly when offering a mix of live play from registrations and DJ work using audio files I certainly want to compile all the data on one SD Card rather than keep swapping Cards in the keyboard...
Rog

#48313 - 03/26/06 11:39 AM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
sturgeon Offline

Hi Rog,

Could be, but SD audio has so many uses I can't believe there aren't other 1gig SD card users or at least potential users around.

Cheers,

s.

#48314 - 03/26/06 12:24 PM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
As previously advised I have sucessfully used both Tpro and Sandisk 1G cards with the Panasonic SD Jukebox.

Cheers
Len C.

#48315 - 03/26/06 02:26 PM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Folks,

Sometime ago I had a similar problem with an SD Card. I had formatted the card in the PC which didn't work. I then formatted it in the Technics Keyboard and it still didn't work because the PC didn't couldn't read the card.

I was advised by Bill Norrie to format the card in the KN Keyboard, save and name the first folder/song. This will enable the PC to recognise the SD Card as 'Technics'.

You can save and use any name you like because it can always be deleted/renamed and the No.1 Folder used again for something you really want to keep.

I suggest you look at Bill Norrie's site where you will find this and other questions answered in detail. It is a very informative site.

Hope this helps.

Aud (U.K.)

#48316 - 03/26/06 11:19 PM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
RMepstead Offline

Hi Len and Audrey
May I ask are you talking about saving 'Audio' files to the 1 Gb SD Card or just registrations and midi files?
Rog

#48317 - 03/27/06 02:40 AM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
sturgeon Offline

Hi Aud,

Rog is right, this is just about SD Jukebox and 1gig cards. I can format and use the 1gig card in other ways, and even use audio on it using RealOne Jukebox, but it doesn't work with SD Jukebox which is the only program that lets you create user audio playlists.

Looks like Rog has had a breakthrough though!

Cheers,

s.

#48318 - 03/27/06 11:19 AM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
manorcourt1991 Offline

Hi Rog,

Yes I am referring to using the 1G cards for SD Audio, recording with the Panasonic software and Panasonic reader and playing back in the KN7000. The 1G Sandisk and Tpro cards were set up for friend who also has a KN7000 using the SD Audio facility. We did have problems with a couple of other makes of cards which were returned to the supplier. I can't recall the brands off hand but I believe I named them in a previous discussion on this topic. Also as previously mentioned I have a 512M card from PQI which is OK with SD audio whilst an older 256M card also branded PQI will not handle SD audio.
I believe Alec Pagida may have offered an explanation for problems with some cards in an early posting but I can't recall the details.

Cheers
Len

#48319 - 03/27/06 02:39 PM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
Audrey Turner Offline

Hi Guys,

I only use my cards for saving settings etc. and the odd downloads of member players and I find the KN SD-Explorer is easier and quicker for this purpose than anything Technics can offer, besides which. all I seem to get from Jukebox is that irritating Demo tune so I don't bother with it.

However, I would have thought some form of PC/KN contact would be needed and I may be wrong, but isn't that what the 'convert' section of Jukebox is for. Do your audio files need converting to another format perhaps? What made me think of that is quite a few of the song's that Bebop sends to me, Windows Media Player cannot play because it doesn't recognise the format.

I am very interested in your problem and hopefully, you will get an answer from one of the many member experts. I will keep on visiting this site to see what happens.

Good luck!

Aud (U.K.)

#48320 - 03/28/06 11:27 AM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
sturgeon Offline

What I am hoping to find out from this is,

1. Whether any 1gig SD cards work with audio files written by SD Jukebox.

2. If there are any, which ones definately work and which ones don't.

So far it looks like Rog's Traveler is the only definate brand that works, and his Kingston and my Dane-Elect (Toshiba) cards don't work (although mine works via RealOne Jukebox).

I just thought it might save a good deal of wasted time and money if there was a list of 1 gig (and maybe even 2gig) SD card brands that do or don't work properly with SD Jukebox.

Panasonic say their cards will work, but I have read reports on the web where people have had problems with Panasonic cards and SD Jukebox when used with Panasonic prortable audio products, so I am not convinced.

Cheers,

s.

#48321 - 03/28/06 07:14 PM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Sturgeon,
Are you sure that it's a Secure Digital (SD) card, the one with the little switch on the side. There is another type card that is the same size, has the same pin connections and fits in the same socket but is without the switch and it definately will not work!

Question: can you format it in the keyboard?
If not try formatting it in the computor but make sure you choose the FAT file system on the format menu. (The default on the menu might come up as NTFS and that absolutely will not be recognized by the keyboard, it has to be FAT.Tnen put it in the keyboard and format it again using the keyboard. Then do a save (any Technics file, not a Midi or SMF) and see if that cures the problem.
Good Luck,
Walt

#48322 - 03/28/06 11:23 PM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
sturgeon Offline

Hi Walt,

Yes my SD card is a proper one - made by Toshiba who invented the format in paertnership with Panasonic.

I can format the card in the keyboard and save files to it, I can format it on the computer or in RealOne and save audio to it, but if I format it in SD Jukebox it formats it, then says it has the wrong format, format the card! (SD Jukebox says this wherever I have formatted it - even when it has MIDI, Technics files and audio already on it!)

I still think its a software problem, but If I can find a brand of SD card (1gig or larger) that is completely reliable when used with SD Jukebox I will go for that!

Cheers,

s.

#48323 - 03/29/06 03:40 AM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
Audrey Turner Offline

Hi S,

I've had yet another thought on your problem. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the software? If I remember correctly, I inserted the actual SD-Jukebox V2.4 and then loaded a floppy named "SD-Jukebox" VERSION-UP Disk. I think this update was needed because Jukebox was found to have a problem. However, not having used it much, I cannot confirm whether it has or not, but if you haven't updated it, this could be the cause.

Hope this helps.

Audrey

#48324 - 03/29/06 12:42 PM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
sturgeon Offline

Hi Aud,

I am using SD Jukebox v4.0 so I suppose it should be aready upgraded from v2.4.

My 512Mb cards work perfectly with this installation too.

Cheers,

s.

#48325 - 04/15/06 05:13 PM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
manorcourt1991 Offline

Another 1G card which will definitely work with the Panasonic Jukebox software for playback in the KN7000 is the RIDATA PRO66X from Ritek Corporation of Taiwan. I formatted it in the KN, checked out files from my PC using Panasonic Jukebox v2.4 and they work fine in the KN.

Cheers
Len

#48326 - 04/15/06 10:09 PM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
sturgeon Offline

Thanks Len! Thats good to know.

Cheers,

s.

#48327 - 02/25/07 12:13 PM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I tried a PNY 1.0GB with no luck. I'm not sure if it's because it's a PNY brand, or because it's 1GB size is too large for Jukebox

I have used Sandisk brand 512 and below with perfect results.

Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#48328 - 02/25/07 02:20 PM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Sturgeon, I'm curious about your SD Jukebox 4.0. My understanding was that version 2.4 was the last version that would work with Technics keyboards. Later version upgrades were for other types of units. Would you be able to confirm that your version 4.0 works with the Technics keyboards?
Thanks
Keith

#48329 - 02/26/07 05:37 AM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
lahawk Offline

Yes I am also interested in the upgrade from 2.4 to 4.0.

First: How do we upgrade, and what "version up" disk is Audry referring to?

Second: What does upgrading actually accomplish? Does the upgrade help make all SD cards compatable?

I have found an upgrade from 4.0 to 4.6 but will only work if you currently have 4.0

So, again I can't seem to locate an upgrade from 2.4 to 4.0, to able to upgrade to 4.6.

Yikes! Any help?

Anyway, my PNY 1GB SD card will not work with my 2.4 version of Jukebox. I wonder if upgrading will help...if indeed I CAN upgrade

Thanks

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#48330 - 03/02/07 11:24 PM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
sturgeon Offline

I couldn't find a complete kit, so had to buy a Technics card reader and the SD Jukebox (v.4.0) software separately from ebay.

Fortunately it works well with my KN2600 - but not with all 1GB Sd cards.

I 've just had a look at Panasonic's Japanese site and they have info about v.5 and v.6 of SD Jukebox. No info on how to obtain it though! Helpful aren't they?

Also just seen this -

150X 8GB OEM SAMSUNG SECURE DIGITAL SD CARD 8 GB G NEW

for £30 + £6 postage (from America) on ebay. Would LOVE to know if it would work!

Cheers,

s.

[This message has been edited by sturgeon (edited 03-03-2007).]

[This message has been edited by sturgeon (edited 03-03-2007).]

#48331 - 03/03/07 03:13 AM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
Audrey Turner Offline

Hello All,

With regards to the SD question, a friend made the following comments which I think would interest you all. I know he wouldn't mind me quoting his words so here goes:

"looking on the Zone this morning I see that
lots of people are having the same problem as I had with SD Cards and the Jukebox program, I tried so many of them and have now come up with what is to me the perfect 1Gb SD Card, it is the LEXAR 1 Gb, it is just what the doctor ordered"

Could be worth trying!

Audrey

#48332 - 03/03/07 06:59 AM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
John Barr Offline

Loc: Colchester,Essex,England
Quote:
Originally posted by sturgeon:
Has anyone managed to get SD Jukebox to work properly with a 1gig SD card?(creating user playlists etc.), and if so what make of SD card did you use?

I have just had a reply to my SD card query from Panasonic saying (after consulting their factory) that the problem is with my particular card. My card was made by Toshiba (one of the largest manufacturers of SD cards in the world), and Toshiba say their cards (up to and including 2gig) are compatible with Panasonic audio equipment.
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/p-media/english/compati/sd_list.htm

As I said before, my card works perfectly with RealOne Jukebox for Panasonic (but this does not provide user playlists, only a master playlist). I know Roger Mepstead has had trouble with a 1gig card and SD Jukebox. Does SD Jukebox work with any brand of 1 or 2gig SD card?

Cheers,

s.

[This message has been edited by sturgeon (edited 03-26-2006).]

Having tried all the 1Gb SD Cards mentioned on this thread, I have found what is to me the Best Card to use with SD Jukebox (creating user playlists, Audio Files etc.) the LEXAR 1GB SD Card. Johnny Barr.

#48333 - 03/03/07 07:01 AM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sturgeon:
Also just seen this -
150X 8GB OEM SAMSUNG SECURE DIGITAL SD CARD 8 GB G NEW for £30 + £6 postage (from America) on ebay. Would LOVE to know if it would work!

No. The KN was designed before the days of usb2 when sd specification 1.0 was in force. This limited size to 1GB due to address block issues. 2GB became possible in specification 1.1 with larger address blocks but older devices cannot be guaranteed to work with 2GB luck is involved. Likewise 4GB SD is beyond specification and really a hack thus pure luck if it works with your existing hardware. 4GB SDHC is guaranteed with all compatible hardware. The new SDHC specification takes sizes beyond 2GB up to 32GB but needs new hardware to work.

The issue of 1GB cards not working for audio is purely one of not fully meeting specification maybe because manufacturers have not signed up and paid the full royalties to obtain the spec etc or putting cheap cells into sd outline packages in the Far East etc. Reputable brands like Sandisk 'should' work for audio but it is not worth buying the latest high speed cards. Technics and midi files are never really a problem with all but the most rubbish cards - but then you don't need a GB for them

#48334 - 03/14/07 04:41 AM Re: 1gig SD card survey.
lahawk Offline

Just an update.

The 1 GB Sandisk worked fine in Jukebox

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online