SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47938 - 04/10/02 05:19 AM ZIP files
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Good morning, fellow Technics lovers! I have been having such a good time reading all the items on the Forum and sharing both public and private (i.e. e-mail) posts from a variety of you. Now a question for all you great folks who share your registrations/tunes, etc. When requested, you send them to us via e-mail in ZIP file format, which is great to open the floppy and then hear and/or use the contents on the keyboard. Being a complete computer nerd, however, I have no idea how to transfer my own keyboard songs, recorded in Easy Record, saved to a floppy in either Technics or MIDI format, into a ZIP file?! One day I would perhaps like to share some of my "creations" but don't know how to save them so they can be shared in ZIP format to be sent e-mail. Thanks, guys and gals and happy playing! (P.S. I have a KN 6500.)

Ted Rose
Wisconsin

#47939 - 04/10/02 06:59 AM Re: ZIP files
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Hi Ted.
If you visit www.winzip.com you'll find all
the info needed about how to do this.
There is both program and manual to find if
I remember it correctly.

If you have WinZip installed already, try to
highlight the files you want to zip, rightclick
and you'll see the WinZip options in the menu.
Then you can mail it "on the fly", or save the
zipfile wherever you want.
Kind regards
GJ

Btw,
there is also a great totally free pogram called
PowerArchiver to find at www.powerarchiver.com/
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#47940 - 04/10/02 07:17 AM Re: ZIP files
technicsplayer Offline

Zipping is used to save bandwidth and time on the net when sending files.

With 6500 format there is no point in zipping the files, since no space is saved in the operation. The only advantage is to have one attachment to the mail rather than several files.

Just click the "paperclip" attach box, point the path of the mail attachment to your A:\ drive, and drag the mouse over all the files on the floppy so they all appear in the attachment field. It will work just as well.

Save a song on a floppy, attach it to a mail, and send it to yourself. Then put it back on a blank disk and try it out... dry run sucessfully completed!

#47941 - 04/10/02 10:51 AM Re: ZIP files
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Hi Ted. This was a hard thing to learn when I started using Winzip, but after a few times, it's a snap. I will try to explain the process as simply as possible.

1. Open Winzip and left click on the "new" button at upper left.
2.In the "create" box that appears, click on the down arrow until you find the file/folder that you will use to store your zipped files - C:/Keyboards/zip files/, would work. Double click on the name so it appears in the box and in the file "name" box lower down, type in the name you give to the zipped file (my song, e.g.). Make sure the box called "files of type" has "zip files" listed in it. Click the ok button.
3. The "add" menu box appears and you will have to locate the folder/file where you originally stored the song file. Once located, the song files will appear and you'll need to select (highlight) them for inclusion in the zip file. Hold down the shift key and highlight the last entry in the files first, then while still holding the shift key, highlight the first entry in the song file. That procedure simply lists the files in their proper order in the zipped file. Otherwise, for some reason, the last entry will appear first. With all the selected files highlighted, click the "add" button and another box will open showing how much of the files were packed. Just close the box and close out of Winzip. If all was done properly, your zipped file will be located in the folder you named in the "create" box in step 2.
4. When attaching the zipped file to your email, you'll have to use the "browse" button to locate your zip file, which you will highlight and open. Click attach, wait for the file to upload, and you're off and running!

If you only send to one person, then you don't have to zip the file, but it does make the downloading much easier for the person on the other end. And, if you are making an offer to anyone on the forum, then you definitely want the file zipped. Now, give it a try and email it to Alec.

#47942 - 04/10/02 12:56 PM Re: ZIP files
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I seem to remember reading somewhere that using WinZip, even though it may not compress the original file or files very much, adds an additional level of error checking, so it's still worth using.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#47943 - 04/10/02 09:00 PM Re: ZIP files
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Wow, what swell responses to my query! You are the greatest group around! I will be trying all the suggestions you have made here on the Forum and via e-mail. Yes, I do have WinZIP on my computer, so I should have some degree of success. Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond; I do appreciate it very much!

Ted Rose

#47944 - 04/11/02 12:28 AM Re: ZIP files
Dave Shively Offline

Loc: Calimesa, Ca, USA
Hi Gang,
Thanks to Ted for bringing up this question, for Gunnar, Alec, Bud and the rest for answering. I have been having trouble zipping and attaching. I also have WinZip, but get confused. (Thick Head) I will print out the answers and give it another try. I did manage to do zipping and attaching twice, but hasn't sunk in yet. Thanks again, for all your careing and instruction.
Best Regards,
Dave Shively

#47945 - 04/11/02 02:05 AM Re: ZIP files
technicsplayer Offline

Honest Injun, Folks, for 6000/6500 format there is very little to be gained in zipping the files for mail attachment.

For a website download you want one convenient file, so you zip for that reason.

For 5000 or earlier formats you should zip to save space, time and bandwidth.

You should learn to zip for all the other things you may want to zip and archive.

The easiest way is Gunnar's.

Highlight the files, right click, and use the zip and email command. A mail will be created with the files already zipped for you.

To create a zipfile in the same folder as your files to be zipped, highlight the files, right click, then add to zipfile. Name the file, being sure to keep the path correct.

To create a zipfile in another location to the files you want zipped, right click, then new, then winzip file. Name the file, being sure to keep the ".zip" extension.
Highlight all the files you want zipped, and just drag them to the winzip file.

To unzip, double click the winzip file, highlight all the files inside, and drag them to a folder or floppy.

#47946 - 04/11/02 12:37 PM Re: ZIP files
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
When Dave said he planned to print everyone's response and try again, it made me think----Why does my laser printer not print (very well) items posted on the forum?
It prints anything else from any source learly. When I try to print from this forum, the print is so faint, one can hardly read it. Would the dark background have something to do with it?
Larry

#47947 - 04/11/02 01:47 PM Re: ZIP files
technicsplayer Offline

yes, copy and paste the text into word or notepad and print from there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online