SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#47736 - 12/28/05 03:25 AM When You Know the End has Come
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Well, I guess that this Christmas finally signals that the end of Technics is really here.

I can remember when all the talk on here after Christmas would be about all the new keyboards that people got. Sadly if anyone got a new Technics it's an old one.

As for me I got a "Roll-Away-Piano" that should be called a "Throw-Away-Piano", a
violin style bass guitar and amp. Not that I can play a bass and I'm not certain it's worth learning since to play bass you need others to play with. I don't think I've ever seen someone just play bass and sing and besides I don't sing either. But it cool to look at. LOL

But how about the rest of you? Did you get any great musical things for Christmas.

------------------
Heather- Leesburg, FL PR54

#47737 - 12/28/05 05:28 AM Re: When You Know the End has Come
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Heather
I know what you mean about the lack of a new keyboard this year. I guess for once in my life I will forced to learn the one I have,rather than jumping to something new.
I content myself knowing I have the best board for me,and there is nothing out there I would rather have. Especially when I would have to learn a whole new OS.

I have most of the toys I need,but I did get a Sennheiser wireless mic.It is matched to my Bose and makes even me sound great; well pretty good.

Looking forward to seeing you and Cindy at JAM2.

#47738 - 12/28/05 06:28 AM Re: When You Know the End has Come
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hiya Bernie and Heather
I got a booking for new year's eve because my KN7000 also acts as a disco machine through its audio facility which is kind of a perverse Xmas present but welcome all the same...
Rog

#47739 - 12/28/05 07:20 AM Re: When You Know the End has Come
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Bernie9,

"I guess for once in my life I will forced to learn the one I have,rather than jumping to something new."

WELL SAID!!! The people that are anxious to run out and buy a new toy with a few new buttons to push should seriously consider what you said. There is so much to learn on the KN boards if one puts his/her mind to it. Many have never even used the COMPOSER feature. LEARN HOW TO USE IT INSTEAD OF RELYING ON POORLY DONE PRESET STYLES. It is the greatest feeling when you have created your own work. Learn how to customize your sounds and store them in SOUND MEMORY. The COMPOSER, alone is one of the most complex features in the KNs. Anyone says it isn't hasn't fully explored the possibilities. If we all knew HALF what Alec knows, we wouldn't have time to consider a new keyboard.

#47740 - 12/28/05 08:10 AM Re: When You Know the End has Come
Bernie9 Online   content

Sadly,I am one of them.There are some on the forum like Willum,that has made a study of the inner workings of the composer.Alec is the greatest,and is always ready to solve any problem when he is available. I know there are others to offer help if only we would dig into it and ask questions along the way.

I have always said that we would have a more active forum if we returned to basics. It is hard to get people motivated on a three year old machine,eventhough most do not kmow it properly. John C is another one that has tried to get something going, but with little response.

#47741 - 12/28/05 09:15 AM Re: When You Know the End has Come
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I find it amazingly ironic that this thread has developed at this time, as I spent a good part of Monday and Tuesday playing with the "Sound Control" feature on my kn6000 ... what a difference it has made to a couple of tunes I had put together ...
And, I must admit I have NEVER used the composer feature ... Except for the addition of a hard drive, the kn6 is pretty much as delivered... BUT, as delivered is pretty darn nice !!! ...
t.

#47742 - 12/28/05 09:44 AM Re: When You Know the End has Come
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Tony,

Good for you. Now that you have had a bit of experience in Sound Control, try taking one of the sax sounds (leave Tenor Sax Solist alone for it is perfect) and change the speed of the vibrato and add breath to it, giving it a more intimate sound. Using COMPOSER is much more involved. To begin with, try a slow jazz ballad in the keyboard and copy it in COMPOSER. Once you are in, go into say one of the tracks of DRUMS. Try changing the drums by adding whatever sounds good to you. Use your Quantize button to a beat you want to add. Listen and if you like what you have done, you are starting to use COMPOSER. This is not to say you have much to learn. It is just getting your feet wet so to speak.

By the way, your KN6000 will pretty much do everything in COMPOSER that the KN7000 will do. Good luck.

#47743 - 12/28/05 09:52 AM Re: When You Know the End has Come
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Many of us Technics owner/players are now playing the Yamaha Tyros 2, and we are quite pleased with it.
I have a new forum started for Tyros 2 at: http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=39&SUBMIT=Go
for anyone that is interested.
My 4 Technics Keyboards, KN2600, KN7000, KN6000, KN800 are now getting a well deserved rest.
Happy New Year to everyone and it really doesn't make any difference what you play as long as it sound like GOOD music.
BEst to all
Bebop

------------------
BEBOP
Senior Member SYNTHZONE FORUMS Retired Moderator of Technics Forum
Bill Forrest in Central CALIF. USA
ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://www.anycities.com/bebop/

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 12-28-2005).]

#47744 - 12/28/05 10:25 AM Re: When You Know the End has Come
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
nsr007 ... thank you ... Being a big fan of the departed jazz great Paul Desmond, my personal favorite of the sax section is the Soft Alto Soloist ...
But I will try your suggestion ...
t.

#47745 - 12/28/05 10:30 AM Re: When You Know the End has Come
Bernie9 Online   content

I thought I would jump in a try it.The parameters all make a big difference.Res,brightness,depth,etc work,but vib speed does not respond.

#47746 - 12/28/05 04:07 PM Re: When You Know the End has Come
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
No more new Technics keyboards ? Good and bad --- Sad but nice.
The bad part is e have lost the excitement of getting something new, a new toy. The good side, I am falling in love with my KN7000 again. Yes there is always more to learn about this keyboard, but for now I am enjoying it?s fantastic sounds. When I play the song ?I can?t get started?, I play a trumpet intro with no rhythm, then add the full background (Band)--- heads turn na d people smile because the keyboard has one of the best trumpet sounds I have heard. I can?t get started is a great song and the Kn7 does it justice. The same for the KN6500 and KN6000.

Yes, Technics was ahead of the times, it is not just a keeper, in it?s category it has no competition. And yes, I did see the new version of King Kong and I still feel the original was a lot better.---It was one of my favorites.
And so it is with my KN 7000.

I wish everyone the best in this coming New Year. My peace and contentment fill the coming days, John C.

My thought for 2006 is to meet with Kn players, starting with the Jam in Florida.

#47747 - 12/28/05 04:47 PM Re: When You Know the End has Come
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Well Heather,
Things aren’t that bad regarding the appreciation of Technics. I recently purchased a Yamaha PSR 3000. NOT in the pursuit of new buttons to push, but to give me a light board to drag around and save wear and tear on my beloved KN7000. While the Yamaha fits the bill in the weight department, the voices are so cheesy as compared to the 7K that I’ve spent days editing the sounds in an attempt to come close to the Technics. So you see my true love is now acting as a guide to keep the the Yamaha from being such an assault on ones musical senses.
Happy NEW YEAR.
Frank

#47748 - 12/28/05 11:37 PM Re: When You Know the End has Come
bruno123 Offline

posted by Frank Bez:
I recently purchased a Yamaha PSR 3000. NOT in the pursuit of new buttons to push, but to give me a light board to drag around and save wear and tear on my beloved KN7000. While the Yamaha fits the bill in the weight department, the voices are so cheesy as compared to the 7K

Frank, I purchased and sold a Psr 2100, a PSR 3000, a Tyros 1 and because I doubted myself I purchased and sold a second Tyros 1. I also was looking for a second lighter keyboard but I could not live with the instrument sounds.
Yamaha big move this year is in their instrument sounds -- It was needed.

John C.

#47749 - 12/28/05 11:39 PM Re: When You Know the End has Come
bruno123 Offline

posted by Frank Bez:
I recently purchased a Yamaha PSR 3000. NOT in the pursuit of new buttons to push, but to give me a light board to drag around and save wear and tear on my beloved KN7000. While the Yamaha fits the bill in the weight department, the voices are so cheesy as compared to the 7K

Frank, I purchased and sold a Psr 2100, a PSR 3000, a Tyros 1 and because I doubted myself I purchased and sold a second Tyros 1. I also was looking for a second lighter keyboard but I could not live with the instrument sounds.
Yamaha big move this year is in their instrument sounds -- It was needed.

John C.

#47750 - 12/29/05 03:07 AM Re: When You Know the End has Come
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Everyone,

Like you all, I think the KN7 is the KING of the keyboards and so when a friend was selling his in order to purchase the Tyros 2, I quickly bought it off him, so now I have two KN7s - am I greedy or what?

To add to my pleasure I am in to recording my own CDs via a stand alone CD Recorder. However a friend, (whom I got to know through this Forum) suggested I try using the PC as he finds it quicker and more reliable and I'm very pleased to say "Father Christmas, brought me the 'Nero 7 Premium' (all bells & whistles) CD software to do just that, so my two KN7s and my PC are going to be very busy in the coming weeks. I just hope I can cope with the learning curve but if I need help, I'm sure I can get it from this site.

"Happy New Year to you all"

Aud (U.K.)

#47751 - 12/31/05 05:14 PM Re: When You Know the End has Come
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi ,
tis rather sad that there's no new Technics this year. Unfortunately I sold mine well over a year ago, and regretting it.

This xmas I opted for the Ketron SD1+.
It's stylemaking functions are nowhere near as good as on the kn7, but I'l manage to work around it with EMC styleworks program which will allow me to edit them.
I found another interesting program from EMC , called Style Factory. This program lets you build up a phrase database & replace phrases within a style, to create new styles.
I suppose creating new styles is always an option for the Technics owners.

Happy New Year to Everyone
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shcox:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#47752 - 01/01/06 12:20 AM Re: When You Know the End has Come
bruno123 Offline

Well all this talk about the end of Technics and not having a Kn8 to look forward to made me sad. No more new buttons, new styles,or new sounds.

I solved it!!!! I have gone over to Yamaha ---
I bought a Psr293 for $199 it is a fun machine, after a half hour I run to my KN7, but it does solve the desire for new buttons, styles and sounds. Even at this price range I find there is a slight learning curve and enjoyment.
I can play with this Yamaha till I'm bored and then sell it for $95. Not bad, I wonder what else is around. I saw a keyboard for $595, full 88 keys, all the bells and whistles, a wood stand and chair---and--A mic impute with a volume control.
I guess I am saying I can still have my fun playing with new stuff while I continue to embrace my KN 7000.
John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 01-01-2006).]

#47753 - 01/01/06 12:31 AM Re: When You Know the End has Come
bruno123 Offline

Wow, I almost forgot;

I wish you all a healthy New Year filled with lots of music, contentment and smiles.

John C.

#47754 - 01/01/06 02:28 PM Re: When You Know the End has Come
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
I know what you mean. I bought the PSR3000 about a year ago. Mostly because it's lightweight so I could carry it the few times I take my Keyboard out. This year I bought a Casio WK3000, I think it was $399, can't remember. It's fun and satisfies the urge for something new...just as you said. Of course nothing compares to the beautiful sounds of my 7000!

Happy New Year and Happy playing.

Marilyn

#47755 - 01/01/06 03:53 PM Re: When You Know the End has Come
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi John,
Ketron has an interesting bit of gear called a Midijay module http://www.ketron.it/demos/index.asp?idProdotto=22
designed with the performer in mind ( for performers that use midi files , wav files , mp3's and arranger keyboards etc etc). Nearly bought one instead of the SD1.

Unfortunately a bit more expensive than your new PSR293.

Amazing what you can do with the inexpensive keyboards. I had a DGX305 for about a year or so. Filled a gap for a while. Best part is you don't lose much when you resell.

Happy New Year

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
Well all this talk about the end of Technics and not having a Kn8 to look forward to made me sad. No more new buttons, new styles,or new sounds.

I solved it!!!! I have gone over to Yamaha ---
I bought a Psr293 for $199 it is a fun machine, after a half hour I run to my KN7, but it does solve the desire for new buttons, styles and sounds. Even at this price range I find there is a slight learning curve and enjoyment.
I can play with this Yamaha till I'm bored and then sell it for $95. Not bad, I wonder what else is around. I saw a keyboard for $595, full 88 keys, all the bells and whistles, a wood stand and chair---and--A mic impute with a volume control.
I guess I am saying I can still have my fun playing with new stuff while I continue to embrace my KN 7000.
John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 01-01-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#47756 - 01/03/06 11:10 PM Re: When You Know the End has Come
vitesse Offline

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
No new Kn8000? Who needs it.

Just when I thought I knew my KN7k and was thinking about new buttons / features /styles - I thought "well styles, I can get new styles!"

Bought a couple of disks - didn't like the arrangement so I started pressing that little button marked Program Menus.

Started playing with composer - just like I had to on my old KN3000.

Now I'm trying to get better (IMHO) voices and trying for my personal holy grail to improve on the drawbars and make them more like a well gigged B3.

I thought I knew my KN7k, but I think what a lot of us need, is to spend the time we would have spent looking at the glossy adverts and reviews, and read up on our current 'boards hidden depths.

Don't dream of learning a new OS or features, try out the ones you have never touched on your current hack.

I've just fallen in love with my '7000 all over again. Best of all, it only cost me £35 for the book "Getting the most from your KN7000" and a couple of style disks.

Much better than trying to justify £2000 for a new toy to my wife ;-)

Happiness is appreciating what you have - not what you have not.

May 2006 be a happy year for you all.

#47757 - 01/04/06 02:42 AM Re: When You Know the End has Come
Bernie9 Online   content

Very well put, my sentiments exactly.
Bernie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online