SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#52036 - 01/02/06 03:55 AM New Jaybirds Playalong--SHENANDOAH!!
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Happy New Year to all our SynthZone friends and colleagues!

We are pleased to start the New Year by offering you all another Jaybirds' Playalong, this one a splendid rendition of an American classic, played by our special Jaybird, Colin. It is, as always, available on the splendid KESO song site, so ably produced by our dear friend Cees! http://www.keso.nl/

There are so many stories about the type of song this actually is and its origins that I want to take a longer space than usual to tell you something about it, and I hope I am not going to be too long-winded (but, after all, words and lyrics are my "forte", you know! )

The origins of "Shenandoah," perhaps one of America's most recognizable folk tunes, are not so easily deciphered. Like many folk songs, it is impossible to determine exactly when the song was composed, yet the song probably did not originate later than the American Civil War. In any case, by the end of the nineteenth century, "Shenandoah" had achieved widespread popularity, both on land and at sea.

American folklorist Alan Lomax suggested that "Shenandoah" was a sea-shanty and that its "composers" quite possibly were French-Canadian voyageurs. Sea-shanties were work songs used by sailors to coordinate the efforts of completing chores such as raising the ship's anchor or hauling ropes. The formal structure of a shanty is simple: it consists of a solo lead that alternates with a boisterous chorus. With the sweeping melodic line of its familiar refrain, "Shenandoah" is the very nature of a sea-shanty; indeed, the song's first appearance in print was in an article by William L. Alden, titled "Sailor Songs," published in Harper's New Monthly Magazine in 1882.

As unclear as the song's origin is, so is the definitive interpretation of its text. Some believe that the song refers to the river of the same name. Others suggest that it is of African-American origin, for it tells the tale of Sally, the daughter of the Indian Chief Shenandoah, who is courted for seven years by a white Missouri river trader. Regardless of these textual discrepancies, "Shenandoah" remains an American classic.

We hope you all enjoy Colin's rendition of this new Playalong song for your listening and playing pleasure to start the New Year right!

The Jaybirds

Colin, UK
Joyce, UK
Joy, New Zealand
Ted, the Yankee Jaybird, USA

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 01-02-2006).]

#52037 - 01/02/06 04:45 PM Re: New Jaybirds Playalong--SHENANDOAH!!
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
TED.... Shenandoah is one of my favorites! Your history information is very interesting....thanks for including in your post.

I went to KESO site wanting to listen to the rendition.... could not find the "play-along sectionl!! Could you be a bit more detailed in how to find Shenandoah?

It was great to listen again to "Grecian Urn"...Jack Doctors rendition... I would love to have the dots & chords for this lovely piece I never heard until from this source!

What a wonderful gift this forum is for Technics/music lovers world wide!!! I am grateful for the sharing!

Be All You Are....Enjoy All You Do!

ELIZABETH

------------------

#52038 - 01/02/06 05:02 PM Re: New Jaybirds Playalong--SHENANDOAH!!
etwo4788 Offline

OKAY.... I found how to access the "play-along".... Do not know how to access "zipped files"..... I am NOT very computer saavy! Obviously!

OH Well!

Happy New Year! ELIZABETH

#52039 - 01/03/06 12:06 AM Re: New Jaybirds Playalong--SHENANDOAH!!
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Hi Elizabeth,

I don't have your e-mail address, which will be the best way to assist you in downloading our playalongs from Keso.

But, if you'd care to send me an e-mail via colin.leaney@homecall.co.uk - I'll be delighted to assist you via a return e-mail.

Happy New Year - Colin.

#52040 - 01/03/06 04:37 AM Re: New Jaybirds Playalong--SHENANDOAH!!
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Elizabeth,
glad you like and discovered the KESO-site . Supplementary to Colin's help, you can, if you whish, go to the Tips&Tricks-page on KESO (see the mainmenu). There you can find additional information about: zipping, saving, copying files and songs etc. related to the KN7000.
Success and enjoy,
Cees

#52041 - 01/03/06 06:28 AM Re: New Jaybirds Playalong--SHENANDOAH!!
etwo4788 Offline

COLIN & CEES.....
Thanks! I'll give it a go!

ELIZABETH

#52042 - 01/03/06 06:51 AM Re: New Jaybirds Playalong--SHENANDOAH!!
Jack Docters Offline

Loc: Eindhoven Netherlands
Hi Elizabeth,
Send me your E mail adress and I will send you the dots with chords of the beautifull song "Grician Wine "

Jack

#52043 - 01/03/06 07:09 AM Re: New Jaybirds Playalong--SHENANDOAH!!
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
Jaybirds,

Another great play along. I and I am sure other members really appreciate the sharing of your talents and hard work producing these songs.

Fran in SC

#52044 - 01/03/06 11:58 PM Re: New Jaybirds Playalong--SHENANDOAH!!
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Thanks Fran.

Any feedback we get is much appreciated.

We wish you a zillion hours of happy playing in 2006.

Colin.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online