SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#476171 - 09/17/19 03:10 PM OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring?
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Is it money? By now the Stones and others surely don't need any more cash .
Is it that they still get a thrill from preforming ? The headaches of traveling and touring are rough.
Do they feel it keeps them going? This is my choice as I feel they think in back of their minds it keeps them young. Just look at what its done for Keith Richards LOL!!!

Edited by Bill Lewis (09/17/19 06:41 PM)

#476173 - 09/17/19 03:29 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bill ... I think it's about the thrill of performing ... Don't we get excited when we are about to perform? Imagine doing it in front of thousands of 'adoring' fans ...
And while travelling can be tough, these guys aren't doing it the way we would ... wink

#476178 - 09/17/19 04:37 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Not just bands. Heard this morning one of greats back in the 60s, turned 79 today, and he’s still on the road.

Must just enjoy it, I guess.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#476179 - 09/17/19 04:40 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Tony
Your right as I think my reason is also. Its still the Adrenilin rush.
The question came to me as I Just finished the book Good Lovin" by Gene Cornish of the Rascals. Sort of disjointed writing but it constantly mentions each of them trying to get gigs with various bands after the Rascals and it seems all of them except Eddie needed the money. ( Gene blew his up his nose ) Felix is still touring with a tribute group and the reason the "Once Upon a Dream " tour was abruptly canelled was arguments over money. I think at that point they would be thrilled to forget all the past BS and finally get back together and get in front of long time fans and just rock out again. Thye were promised 10K a night each and at first got it but shortly thereafter it was cut to 5K as expenses for the tour were so high. 5K a night with all expenses paid ain't bad for having a great time IMHO
BYW I got to see the show on the last leg of the tour. They and the audience had a ball Awesome !

#476180 - 09/17/19 04:48 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Bill - I think (like Tony) that many of the guys who made their names (and fortunes) go up in lights...can't resist the attention and reliving all the fun. I ran into the sax player for Chicago. He waits for the phone to ring and goes whenever and wherever he is asked to go - said he loves the crowds and keeping the tunes alive.

My first cousin runs a concert service called "Legends of Rock & Roll" up in Western MD. Five or six times a year, they bring in one of the great groups or soloists from the good old days. The venue sells out every time and the crowds love seeing their idols and hearing them re-create the old songs. Granted, some of the groups don't have all the original members, but they do the songs just like they were done when we were youngsters.

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#476181 - 09/17/19 04:49 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
It’s all they know. Especially when so many die after they stop working, as shown over the last week.

Money...probably isn’t bad either.
JM

#476182 - 09/17/19 06:12 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

How does an arranger keyboard fit into this scenario of longetivity?

#476184 - 09/17/19 06:46 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

I changed the topic
to OT as it really has nothing to do with Arrangers. Sorry about that. After reading the mentioned book I did some thinking and wondering. Just piut it up for discussion.

#476185 - 09/17/19 06:55 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

It doesn't , because these performers either play the instruments themselves, or have back up bands that play them so there is no need for an arranger keyboard ...

#476186 - 09/17/19 07:13 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By Dnj

It doesn't , because these performers either play the instruments themselves, or have back up bands that play them so there is no need for an arranger keyboard ...

But as we all know just shut off accomp and you can certainly use it in a band... Just sayin..

#476187 - 09/17/19 07:44 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By Dnj

But as we all know just shut off accomp and you can certainly use it in a band... Just sayin..

Of course, and I have, but they aren't ...

#476188 - 09/17/19 07:48 PM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
I changed the topic
to OT as it really has nothing to do with Arrangers. Sorry about that. After reading the mentioned book I did some thinking and wondering. Just piut it up for discussion.

Bill ... Don't know why you felt you needed to apologize and change the title ... Take a look at some of the topics on these pages ...
wink

#476192 - 09/18/19 05:31 AM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Possibly and more likely the "Home Organ, Casioish" stigma is still prominent in Pro KB Players eyes in bands for years is still mentally dominant & looked down upon by fellow musos.

#476193 - 09/18/19 05:37 AM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
124 Offline

Anyway, back to "Why do older bands, etc."

Ask any of us the same question and the answer will invariably be:
"Why not" or "What else would I rather be doing?"

#476196 - 09/18/19 06:17 AM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Most party like a sailor on leave ......when the loot runs out its time to gig again....simple as that.

#476202 - 09/18/19 07:58 AM Re: Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Most party like a sailor on leave ......when the loot runs out its time to gig again....simple as that.

Maybe not that simple ... do you think The Stones or Sir Paul need the money ?!? ...

#476209 - 09/18/19 10:07 AM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
People like Engelbert Humperdinck, Bobby Rydel, BJ Thomas, Oak ridge Boys, Ronny Milsap............ are all performing in a little 1000 seat theater in my home town, for about $40 a seat. They have been all over the world performing, now they are in North Tonawanda, NY performing a place that I used to go to see movies as a kid.

Probably the same reason all us old folks on Synthzone are still performing.

Because we enjoy it, and we still can make others happy with our music.

https://rivieratheatre.org/events/

Regards,

Jerryghr

#476213 - 09/18/19 11:53 AM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Maybe they really still enjoy it, maybe its better than sittting home, maybe they just don't know how to say no when the phone rings, maybe the money.
Again the book made me really think about this. They ( the Rascals , after Eddie left and blew the whole thing up) seemed to be still constantly starting new bands and scraping along for years for gigs. From some of the descriptions it didn't seem like it was all fun. Then I thought about some othere acts and questioned their motives. For the big guys I think it a lot easier with better mgt. and lawyers but for the lower tiers its still the constant battles of crappy promotors , etc. etc, etc. Maybe too much OT discussion but I just wondered what others thought.
OK enough of that
How bout that shiny new fangled Yamika music machine ?

#476215 - 09/18/19 11:54 AM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Maybe they really still enjoy it, maybe its better than sittting home, maybe they just don't know how to say no when the phone rings, maybe the money.
Again the book made me really think about this. They ( the Rascals , after Eddie left and blew the whole thing up) seemed to be still constantly starting new bands and scraping along for years for gigs. From some of the descriptions it didn't seem like it was all fun. Then I thought about some othere acts and questioned their motives. For the big guys I think it a lot easier with better mgt. and lawyers but for the lower tiers its still the constant battles of crappy promotors , etc. etc, etc. Maybe too much OT discussion but I just wondered what others thought.
OK enough of that
How bout that shiny new fangled Yamika music machine ?

Bill maybe that's the way to go in your area
...start a Tribute band?

#476216 - 09/18/19 12:23 PM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Donny
Funny you should say that. The guy I sold my JBL505's to is a part time bass player and had a small classic rock trio. Now he announced he's starting a Neil Diamond tribute band. Believe me , I don't know where he thinks he can book it . Maybe a one shot deal at one of the large Hilton Head resorts but thats it. A gig or two in Savannah and Charleston ? There's very little work for bands in general and it better be classic rock or nothing. I'd love nothing better than to do a small tribute band featuring Rascals tunes and others of that style.

#476217 - 09/18/19 01:10 PM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Donny
Funny you should say that. The guy I sold my JBL505's to is a part time bass player and had a small classic rock trio. Now he announced he's starting a Neil Diamond tribute band. Believe me , I don't know where he thinks he can book it . Maybe a one shot deal at one of the large Hilton Head resorts but thats it. A gig or two in Savannah and Charleston ? There's very little work for bands in general and it better be classic rock or nothing. I'd love nothing better than to do a small tribute band featuring Rascals tunes and others of that style.

Let a Good agent figure the venues out for the group.....
you worry about performing a great show..as long as he looks and sounds like Neil your good to go if the band can back him with great musicians..

#476219 - 09/18/19 02:24 PM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Jerry ... we have a couple of theaters here in RI that book similar shows - lots of tribute bands ...

Bill ... I mentioned once before that we saw Gene and Felix as surprise guest stars during a Billy Joel concert in NY a while back ... He said they were a major influence on him, and he thought the 'Young Rascals' were the best band he ever heard ...

As for your friend starting a ND tribute band, perhaps he has an agent and is ready to travel?

#476221 - 09/18/19 04:36 PM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Crossover Offline

Edited by Crossover (09/18/19 04:41 PM)

#476222 - 09/18/19 04:44 PM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Tony
Gene C mentioned that Concert in his book and said Billy Joel had invited them and was very nice. Speaking of Tribute bands Billy Joel used to play Hammond in a semi Rascals trubute band, The Hassels.
I beleive it was at that concert that Billy recorded his version of "Hey Girl" WOW Better than the original !!!! Check it out on Youtube and you'll catch Felix at the B3.
BYW Felix borrowed my B3 for a gig. Still have the autographed playbill in my collection.

I don't think the guy with the ND tribute can travel much, he owns a large liquor store on Hilton Head.

#476223 - 09/18/19 07:04 PM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Crossover]
tony mads usa Offline

#476224 - 09/18/19 07:09 PM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tony
Gene C mentioned that Concert in his book and said Billy Joel had invited them and was very nice. Speaking of Tribute bands Billy Joel used to play Hammond in a semi Rascals trubute band, The Hassels.
I beleive it was at that concert that Billy recorded his version of "Hey Girl" WOW Better than the original !!!! Check it out on Youtube and you'll catch Felix at the B3.
BYW Felix borrowed my B3 for a gig. Still have the autographed playbill in my collection.

I don't think the guy with the ND tribute can travel much, he owns a large liquor store on Hilton Head.

Hey Bill, you may remember Just in Time doing this arrangement at Alfies or CrabTrap..

I recorded this using the Roland G1000 (you had 3 of them) smile

Also recorded the backing vocals, like I did with the bands other material..

Here is the band website, I deleted my photos and info from the site, and Chris was my replacement on keys when I left..

http://justintimeband.homestead.com/index.html

Attachments
125Hey girl4v.mp3 (23 downloads)

Edited by Fran Carango (09/18/19 07:16 PM)

#476231 - 09/19/19 05:13 AM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Crossover]
Bill Lewis Offline

#476234 - 09/19/19 05:55 AM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Fran Carango]
Bill Lewis Offline

Fran
Nice work. I really love this song since hearing BJs version and put in on my "gym list" of tunes to play while walking. I knew the. G1000 was a good machine I wish you would of taught me more about it.

#476244 - 09/19/19 07:44 AM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Here you go Bill enjoy..

#476249 - 09/19/19 08:26 AM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm not gonna completely slam those guys, but I'll just say ... I'm not a fan. Lead vocals are weak, and labored. He needs to relax.The whole thing sounds ... tired.

#476274 - 09/19/19 02:04 PM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Thanks Donny
I enjoyed that, seeing some other contempory musicians appreciate those great songs. Not a bad preformance for doing it live and poorly recorded. Like to hear them do some of the rockers.

#476279 - 09/19/19 02:11 PM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

AS a kid in the early 60's I went to see the Young Rascals
and man what a killer show they did at the famed Action City venue..
Here's the advertisement ...another time I accidentally bumped into Gene Cornish in an elevator in NYC in the Times building he said hello and we chatted for a few minutes..

Attachments
action city.jpg

#476292 - 09/19/19 04:25 PM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Probably cost about $3 to get in too. Nothing like that now.
But theres lots of events down here like the one we're going to Sat. Bluffton Beer Fest at the park on the river. And a STONES TRIBUTE BAND !!!! White Liquor
I don't know where they found this group but I don't have high hopes, especially knowing the crowds that go to these things. On well, its a night out.

Edited by Bill Lewis (09/19/19 04:35 PM)

#476293 - 09/19/19 05:39 PM Re: OT Opinion, Why do older Bands keep touring? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Probably cost about $3 to get in too. Nothing like that now.
But theres lots of events down here like the one we're going to Sat. Bluffton Beer Fest at the park on the river. And a STONES TRIBUTE BAND !!!! White Liquor
I don't know where they found this group but I don't have high hopes, especially knowing the crowds that go to these things. On well, its a night out.

Take pics and videos... Just sayin' wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online