SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#475742 - 09/08/19 09:37 PM Sing-Along
Torch Offline

Donny's thread about singing made me think about sing-along with the audience. There is a musician on Youtube that just about every one on this forum, if not all, watched. Once, I was visiting the city he lives in. He invited me to bring my instrument where he was performing. He himself never sings, but I was very impressed with his audience; while he was playing, everyone in the audience had a music binder and they all sang at the top of their lungs.

I always have a sing-along session with my audience. This will be more and more difficult as the younger generation is not used to singing. Zoltan Kodaly, a Hungarian ethnomusicologist, once said that instrumental music will never be the music for the public. Not every one can afford a musical instrument but everyone has a vocal cord! However, it seems that today here in the US most of the singing is done by those on the stage whether in church or in stadiums...
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#475748 - 09/08/19 10:14 PM Re: Sing-Along [Re: Torch]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Torch
it seems that today here in the US most of the singing is done by those on the stage whether in church or in stadiums...

When I was living overseas, I remember quite clearly. They ran a special "sing-a-long" edition of the movie "Sound of Music" in London's West End. Everyone got into it...singing coming from all directions around us. Like being smack in the middle of a choral group.

I went to see the same movie here in the States, and only eight people showed up. And.....not one of them sang the captioned words!

I also remember playing pubs all around London and working men's clubs in the North. Not a single person did NOT sing.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online