SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#475460 - 09/04/19 02:06 PM Most requested songs.
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Back when I was playing in the service and animal clubs the most requested tunes where, Proud Mary, Leroy Brown, Achy Breaky Heart, Fr the good times and Help me through the night. The where many more that went over very well but these where the ones most requested. It dawned on me that it would be good to know what where the most requested songs today and to be sure to have them in my repertoire before trying to book out today. So how about it guys? What is your most requested tunes today?

#475462 - 09/04/19 02:16 PM Re: Most requested songs. [Re: ekurburski]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I'm no expert on music or today's music tastes but depending on the crowd you are attempting to serve... you would probably be amazed at how little most youngsters know about good music. They seem to be "in it" for the noise.

My ASCAP Newsletter indicated that RAP and Hip Hop are the leading genres purchased in the current market. On the flip side, most folks past 40 don't purchase music or albums. Like me, they grew up in the era where the radio provided music for free if you were aware you would be bombarded by commercials. Our choices were many on the AM dial and not so many on FM signals which carry shorter distances.

Streaming seems to be the future direction but I hate it because the songwriters, musicians and performers are being cheated on a big scale.

I liked your playlist. Still as good now as back then to my old ears... depending on the talent of the artist and supporting musical cast.

All the best,

----West Mayberry Dave

#475471 - 09/04/19 03:02 PM Re: Most requested songs. [Re: ekurburski]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Probably most requested over the years is Brown-eyed Girl.
I get a lot of requests for Wonderful Tonight, Wonderful World, Unchained Melody, Can't Help Falling in Love, Last Date and others, but a lot of the time they just ask if "You got any Johnny Cash in there?" Or Frank Sinatra or whatever. It irritates the crap out of me when they say "in there". Sometimes I ask them "in where?" Then they say in that machine, or in that computer. Then I have to give them a short lesson in what I'm doing.
But as usual, I digress. The point is that a lot of people ask for artists rather than specific songs. Those same songs you mentioned are still popular but not as requested as they once were. Always On My Mind, Tennessee Whiskey are probably the two most requested around these parts. smile
When I get requests for more modern songs, I sometimes play them off YouTube, if I'm in the mood.

#475476 - 09/04/19 03:26 PM Re: Most requested songs. [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By DonM
... but a lot of the time they just ask if "You got any Johnny Cash in there?" Or Frank Sinatra or whatever. It irritates the crap out of me when they say "in there". Sometimes I ask them "in where?" Then they say in that machine, or in that computer.

Don, at that point I usually point to my head and say "If it's not in here, it's not in there" ...

#475481 - 09/04/19 03:44 PM Re: Most requested songs. [Re: ekurburski]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Proud Mary brings back memories-bad ones. I hated that song it was so overplayed. I am not playing right now, but from "back in the day" Evil Ways, Elvira, Leroy Brown, Satin Sheets, any Elvis and believe it or not I used to have to sing Paper Roses in this one club or they wouldn't let me leave. Fortunately, I had a higher voice back then. smile

#475484 - 09/04/19 04:03 PM Re: Most requested songs. [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By DonM
... but a lot of the time they just ask if "You got any Johnny Cash in there?" Or Frank Sinatra or whatever. It irritates the crap out of me when they say "in there". Sometimes I ask them "in where?" Then they say in that machine, or in that computer.

Don, at that point I usually point to my head and say "If it's not in here, it's not in there" ...

Yes I do that too. And, occasionally I'll have a guest singer, who I'm usually told is really good. The first thing ask is "where's the words?" Or else I'll ask them what key and they'll say "whatever it's in, it doesn't matter" At that point you know you're in trouble. I've had the mic stop working on several occasions. smile

#475487 - 09/04/19 04:13 PM Re: Most requested songs. [Re: ekurburski]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Thanks for all the comments. I will be adding a couple of these to my list immediately.

#475488 - 09/04/19 04:18 PM Re: Most requested songs. [Re: ekurburski]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Just last week two people in the audience asked me to accompany a “wonderful singer” friend of theirs. The song: Summertime. I had her sing the opening phrase to me off mic so I could get a feel for key and tempo. Then, off we went. She would have been GREAT, if she had
1) stayed on the key she picked,
2) held a constant tempo and
3) knew the lyrics.
In her defense, she was dressed nicely and (as Billy Crystal would say) looked
Mahhh-ve-lous.

Edited by btweengigs (09/04/19 04:19 PM)

#475491 - 09/04/19 04:41 PM Re: Most requested songs. [Re: btweengigs]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
All in Love is Fair...What are you doing the rest of your life...We're All Alone...When Sunny Gets Blue...How Do you Keep the Music Playing....lots more like that.

I'm in a private club with lots of jazz listeners. Have to play them quietly and simply during dinner.

R.

#475722 - 09/08/19 06:07 AM Re: Most requested songs. [Re: ekurburski]
JimboKeys Offline

A few that i always have ready to play for my regular NH crowd - Crazy, It Had To Be You, All of Me, Country Roads Take Me Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online