SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#47056 - 09/29/03 03:38 AM KN700 Saving Custom Style changes
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Hi everybody,
How do I save a custom style (.CST) after I've made amendments such as switching off the LH Voice and changing the balance of the other voices. I've tried saving from Custom Styles, but that appears to keep only the original, I've transferred it to Memory A, but that didn't seem to work. Would the only way be to retain the originally loaded custom style and use Panel memory to record the amendments?
Thanks
Keith

#47057 - 09/29/03 04:18 PM Re: KN700 Saving Custom Style changes
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Keith, transfer your custom style to Memory A, THEN make any necessary changes to tempo, voices, or whatever, in normal mode. You can then save your creation to disk with all the changes intact, for reuse whenever you want. This isn't the only way to do what you want to a style, but perhaps the easiest. Works every time for me. Then when you are setting the style up for a recording session, you can make the switch to expand mode for on-the-fly changes.

#47058 - 09/29/03 04:19 PM Re: KN700 Saving Custom Style changes
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Keith, I think there may be a bit of confusion here When you save a Custom Style, or Composer Style, it does not automatically save other settings on the keyboard, unless you also select Current Panel and/or Panel Memory, on Page 2 of the Save dialog. Switching off LH Voice or changing other RT1/RT2 voice volume balances, are not saved in the .CST file. Easiest way is to save your settings in one or more Panel Memories and then save them as well as the .CST files. Just a point about .CST files - as you probably know, they take a long time to save and load, so if you only wish to use one style from the .CST file, copy it to Composer Memory A, B or C and work from there - much quicker and takes up less room for each save operation.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#47059 - 09/29/03 04:24 PM Re: KN700 Saving Custom Style changes
Bill Norrie Offline

Bud, We were obviously posting at the same time. I assumed that Keith was trying to save changes he made to parameters, other than in the actual Style itself. Your advice is of course true if he wishes to edit and save the Style.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#47060 - 09/30/03 04:11 AM Re: KN700 Saving Custom Style changes
technicsplayer Offline

Sorry, have to disagree. The answer to the question is to copy to composer, save your registration changes in the first 4 panel memories, and then copy back to custom.

The changes are then permanent, all RT1/RT2/L voice selections, balances, tempo etc are saved in the Custom .CST file with no need to save panel memories etc. In fact edited sounds, programmed user pads etc are also saved in the .CST file so there is no need to save them either.

#47061 - 09/30/03 05:08 AM Re: KN700 Saving Custom Style changes
Bill Norrie Offline

Thanks for that Alec I did not realise that the .CST file included all that data.
The day is not wasted - I've learned something.....

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#47062 - 09/30/03 05:27 AM Re: KN700 Saving Custom Style changes
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Thanks to all,
I'll try it tomorrow (its 10:30pm Tues here!). Lot to learn isn't there.
What I want to end up with is to amend the two styles, Lounge Piano and Cool Band, somewhat, then have these styles (plus of course 18 others) in my Custom Rhythm group.
I then use them through panel settings.
Thanks
Keith

#47063 - 09/30/03 06:01 AM Re: KN700 Saving Custom Style changes
technicsplayer Offline

if you save in custom as I described the settings are in MSA in the variation buttons, not in panel memories, and are permanent, requiring no load after switch on.
The Panel Memories are independent, can be quite different, or other sets of registrations for the same style(s), but naturally will require a load after switch on.

#47064 - 09/30/03 10:19 AM Re: KN700 Saving Custom Style changes
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Keith, you've seen first hand how this forum works - you ask a question and it generally gets answered with multiple choices, if need be. Also, you have seen the need for details. It helps avoid confusion. Since I keep custom files empty and use them for conversion work, I assumed you wanted to do the same and save to disk. I imagine if one is doing a gig, then preloading custom styles is a time-saver for sure, but for home playing, there is an advantage to keeping a library of cst files ready to load with your choice of styles in Latin, Country, Big Band, etc. I would think a file of cst styles would load fairly quickly in your kn7k, especially with the SD card, so you might want to consider an archive of different cst files that would fit your musical occasion. In either case, you now know what to do and how to do it and in the end, thats all that matters. Enjoy your new high-tech keyboard because the more you learn about it, the more you're amazed at what it can do!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online