SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#470374 - 05/24/19 01:48 PM Ketron SD40
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Inquiring minds want to know... so,
So far I am very pleased with the module. I have spent a week programming the Roland A800 Pro to control the module and it has been a learning, or relearning process, for certain.
AJ and Curt have been very helpful.
I must say that ALL the System Exclusive commands in the Ketron list are wrong. However, Curt has put together an Ebook that has most of them correct. There are some errors in the AJAM Sound bank that make the sounds off a step or two, but I have been able to figure those out by experimenting and changing the address by one or two numbers.
When I had the SD7, I was totally not impressed by any of the AJam user sounds and didn't use any of them without editing. This has changed immensely and nearly every one now is useful and I've found some in almost every category that I will use.
I find myself using only a few of the factory styles, but there is a plethora of user styles, many of which I recognize and like. Some need editing though.
I have been able to program 44 buttons, sliders and knobs to control the module. I could play all night and never touch it if needed.
I have set up pads for variations 1, 2, and 3, intro/endings 1,2,3 and To End.
I have set up Text Page Up and Down. I have one button dedicated to Exit, which is really more than an exit function. It returns things to the previous stage in many cases. If I have a text page displayed, Exit turns it off, and Exit turns it back on when I press it again.
I have programmed knobs, buttons, sliders and pads for about 30 or so of my favorite and most used lead sounds.
There are a host of other functions that one can assign, but these are the ones I need most.
I have assigned Vocal Harmony on/off, 2nd Sound, and Breaks to the Ketron foot controller. Break can be accessed via midi, but my controller isn't set up to send both the beginning and ending commands, so if I set it to Break, the Break loops repeatedly. I'd rather have it on the pedal anyway. I can't find a command for 2nd sound, but there probably is one.
Last weekend I used the module with an M-Audio controller that I had in the closet, because I had not yet received the Roland. As I had no idea how to program it and didn't want to waste the time anyway, all it did was trigger notes, joystick, start and stop. I had to control everything from the module, and got by, but it was difficult in low light and with failing eyesight. smile This controller will make it many times easier.
I was able to put the module in the rack that I set on the second tier of my kb stand. And, I raised the bottom tier some and lowered the top one to where the module is barely higher than the controller.
This also allows me to see and be seen much better, even if I have laptop open, which I seldom need to do now. I do need to put something under the back of the module to tilt it up so I can see it better. In other words a do it yourself tilt screen. smile
My fingers and wrists are enjoying the light touch of the controller, although it is very responsive and feels good.
I have all my text files loaded into the module, and it's pretty easy to find one and display it when needed. ONCE YOU KNOW the procedure. smile
My SD40 has the solid state drive from AJ, which contains many hundreds of MP3s, midi files, text plus MP3s, styles, sounds, etc.
I have moved the MP3s to a USB drive in order to free up memory on the internal drive. There were about nine gigs of them!
When you connect the module to a computer, using USB, it is easy to see and edit everything, much faster than from the module itself.
It is still a work in progress and after the weekend I'm sure I will have some changes to make.
The Registrations I had made last year on the SD7 worked fine, but some needed to have the levels balanced to the arranger and re-saved, takes about five seconds apiece.
A great thing about Ketron Registrations is that they do not just point to sounds, styles, etc. They actually store everything, so even if the current arranger doesn't contain the styles, sounds, text, Mp3, PDFs, etc., they are remembered anyway. The Registrations or Songbooks in all the other brands merely point to the ingredients, so can present problems when changing or upgrading models. I have redone the Korg Songbook four times because of this, because I had four different models which used it.
The module will read text, midis, etc. directly from USB. I assume it will with styles and sounds, but I haven't tried it.
That's about all I can think of right now. Gotta go to "work" soon. I can get some rest there. smile

#470376 - 05/24/19 02:03 PM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: DonM]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thanks Don,
You have given me great ideas for using my SD40 with a controller. I have just been using mine with my SK1 and many ways alone, but not with a controller. I have an M-audio, but just got an Akai Pro that I haven't programmed yet.

Between you and Curt, I am sure I can eventually get there.

#470379 - 05/24/19 02:13 PM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Both the Roland and the M-Audio has free app with it to send programs.

#470380 - 05/24/19 02:25 PM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Wow! Not only is the research and programming mind-blowing, but remembering how to control this beast in the heat of a gig is something I would have thought possible only by a 18-25 yr-old. I have to admit, at my age if I don't use a piece of complex equipment for a couple of months, I have to re-learn it. Sometimes I never go back to a piece of gear simply because I can't summon the energy to re-learn it.

I say all this as a tribute to Don Mason and Gary Diamond, and other 'golden-agers' who are able to keep pace with the technological advances while continuing to perform at a high level. Me, I'm still learning all the subtleties of my Galaxy Note9 smile. I did manage to learn my VX49/VIP config to a usable degree but mostly I just stick with the 'easy-play' stuff like my organ and Rhodes (clone).

Anyhoo, good luck with the new rig, although I can't imagine going from something like a PA4X to a controller/module system. However, if the past is any indication, I'm sure you'll sound great with this rig too.

chas

#470381 - 05/24/19 02:41 PM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Thank you Chas.
It's not my first controller/module. I previously had a Ketron MidJay and a Roland BK7, both of which I controlled with a similar controller, Edirol 800, the predecessor to the one I have now.
I think things like this keep me interested and involved. Playing in the same place, to a lot of the same customers, makes me want to change things up now and then. Of course they seldom notice any difference consciously, but it does keep it fresher to an extent.

#470382 - 05/24/19 02:43 PM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Don...I personally know your gonna tame that beast in a very short time once your under pressure on stage. I hope it all works out for you this time around for sure. Those CC commands will test you every time.
keep us posted on your experiences using this new rig and when you get time record a few songs too for us. Give em hell buddy! keys

#470385 - 05/24/19 02:48 PM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Don it looks like you visited Deane recently smile

#470386 - 05/24/19 02:49 PM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

No, Deane is very happy with his SD40. I got this one from Curt, a demo model, good deal!

#470392 - 05/24/19 04:14 PM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: DonM]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Loc: New Symrna Beach, Fl.
Sounds to me like you have been having a ton of fun!

#470394 - 05/24/19 05:31 PM Re: Ketron SD40 [Re: DonM]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
I don’t know how you do it Don. You have definitely earned your PHD in Arranger Keyboards.
Good luck with the sd40 and keep us posted. Love your reviews.

JM

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online