SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#47025 - 08/08/07 05:42 PM Re: Revisiting Basics
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
John,

I agree with you 100% for an overall sound, especially if you have other instruments playing. Bernie9 was talking about piano only and I stand by my suggestion.

Speaking of EQ, this, in itself is an art. This is something that all members of the forum should work on. I have heard countless songs performed by members that have a very bad mix. MIX IS EVERYTHING IN A PERFORMANCE. You can express very good ideas, which I am sorry to say that I haven't heard many and it be ruined by a bad mix. Learning this art requires doing serious recording work. This, in itself will teach you the importance of a good mix. How many of us have heard over the years a good performance on a recording but the mix was totally flat and ruined the possibilities of this track ever becoming a bit hit. There lies the answer.

Scott

#47026 - 08/10/07 02:50 PM Re: Revisiting Basics
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Members of our Club share their settings from time to time and one of the problems we have found is if the Sequencer has been used it is sometimes difficult to load the next file. e.g. Load and use friend's settings. Then load another member's settings which then either refuses to load properly or, some of the PMs are interrupted with the friend's PMs. The only way to get out of this predicament is to Initialise the KN7 and reload.

Can anyone explain this please?

Audrey

#47027 - 08/10/07 03:32 PM Re: Revisiting Basics
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
That is precisely what the Initialisation process is for
Let's assume someone loads up a file with say a total 'performance' set-up and then later, another person loads a file with only a limited number of components - say just panel memories and current panel. Assuming the sequencer was being used by the first player and has not been canceled, then when the second player presses Start, the sequencer will start to play again(unintentionally of course), and will use the sounds in the current user's Panel Memory setup - could produce some very strange effects!!
This is due to 'remnants' of the previous player's set-up, not being overwritten by the current player's set-up and therefore, they are still active.

So, in short, to ensure a 'clean' start after someone else has used the keyboard, use the Initialise facility to clear out the previous player's set-up - it only takes a second or two..............

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 08-10-2007).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#47028 - 08/11/07 08:29 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
nsr007 Offline

Hi Willum and Audrey,

I will address playing someone else's music and then following with my own live playing or using the SEQUENCER. The way I get around this is to make a special save of three things: Save ALL PANEL MEMORIES, SOUND MEMORY and CUSTOM STYLES. It is very wise to do this because putting in someone else's music can kill a lot of work that you have created and you can't get it back unless these features are saved. Invariably, people use their own sounds or use sounds that are originally in the SOUND MEMORY. If one changes a lot of sounds and stores them in SOUND MEMORY and doesn't save them, they are gone and no way to get them back.

One of the things that really irk me is to forget to click off the SEQUENCER button when playing live. Regardless, when going to a saved PANEL MEMORY, it doesn't automatically negate the SEQUENCER being on. This is one of the things that Technics should have corrected even in previous models. It can be very embarrassing to start to play live after playing a song in SEQUENCER and the song start to play as you are starting to play live.

Scott

#47029 - 08/12/07 04:41 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
Audrey Turner Offline

Hi Bill and Scott,

Your explanations are 'spot on' This is exactly the information I was looking for.

I cannot thank you enough because I know one or two of the members who have the Tyros keyboards also experience this from time and they too will be very interested in what you have to say.

Again, thank you both very much indeed.

Audrey

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 08-12-2007).]

#47030 - 08/12/07 01:31 PM Re: Revisiting Basics
nsr007 Offline

Audrey,

Even a quicker way is to save in one file ALL PANEL MEMORIES and SOUND MEMORY. Saving CUSTOM STYLES to this file is just a safety precaution. It is unlikely anyone would send a file with a custom style but maybe. I'll rephrase that, I would because I only do custom style work. Loading CUSTOM STYLES takes longer to load whereas loading only ALL PANEL MEMORIES and SOUND MEMORY loads very quickly. I would save CUSTOM STYLES as a single file only. Before loading anyone's music, ALWAYS check to see what they have saved. It will show to the right everything saved on that song. If there is anything that might take something out of your keyboard that you have saved, go to Page 2 and click off what you don't want loaded. This way, your file will be untouched. In all due respect to Bill (the man is up there with Alec) I personally wouldn't initialize. To me, it is much quicker with what I said in this and the previous reply. Also, Initializing will lose everything you have saved in PANEL MEMORIES, etc. You will be back to the original settings of the keyboard.

Scott

#47031 - 08/12/07 04:27 PM Re: Revisiting Basics
Audrey Turner Offline

Thanks for that Scott.

Fortunately, I haven't had to cope with this problem lately. I learned many moons ago when saving, go to Page 2, switch on/off everything I wanted/didn't want to keep and then save in the EXPAND MODE. I think this was featured in one of the Workshops in the TechPlus magazine.

Using the same technique, when saving ALL CUSTOM STYLES , I go to Page 2, click 'ALL OFF' and then the upward arrow under CUSTOM to change it to 'YES'. This ensures the safety of your Custom settings. Again it was featured in the magazine.

I am sure there are other little 'gems' I've yet to learn about the KN7 which is why I'm planning on going to the Cambridge Convention as the 'Teaching & Learning Workshop' is the main reason for holding the event. Roger Mepstead is working very hard on this and by all accounts it's going to be a lot of fun, so the the more of us that turn up, the merrier it will be.

Audrey

#47032 - 08/12/07 05:43 PM Re: Revisiting Basics
Bill Norrie Offline

Scott, I think you have misunderstood my reason for initialising - I recommended this, purely as a way of 'cleaning up' the KN7000, after another player has used the keyboard and BEFORE you load your own settings, from your Disk or SD Card.

Aldous Huxley

#47033 - 08/13/07 12:29 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
At the organ concerts I would see the performer put a small disk into the organ and start playing. I later understood what the function of the disk was; The different performers can all use the same organ and it customize by using a disk that has their information stored.

ROM
“Read only memory” This pertains to all the features in the keyboard that the factory has put in that you CAN NOT change. For example a factory style. This cannot not be change – unless you copy it to another area which allows you access, in this case it would be the Composer Memory area.

RAM
“Read access memory” These are areas where we have our fun, we get to set up and make changes that give the keyboard our personality.

When I used another persons keyboard I ask permission to load my information and that if they have anything unsaved they will lose it.

Now all that, and most of it has been said, this is how I work with the RAM area of the keyboard.

What I have saved on my SD or floppy disk.
1-Current Panel memory
2-Panel memory – not three but ALL
3-Sequencer, if I have a song recorder
4-Composer
5-Sound memory
6-Performance Pads
7-Effect memory
8-Favorties
I do not use Midi, so I normally do not save it.

In a separate area I save the Custom Styles.
In third area I save Home Page.
I am now covered.
If I have forgotten any RAM area please correct me.

Every time I set to play my keyboard or record a song I do my first load. For me this a must, I start with the same base all the time, no surprises. – the difference in time to load all the above 8 or to load a few of them is very little.
The home page is only loaded when playing another keyboard. I have two sets of Custom Styles, one for seniors and one for Contemporary. When needed I load them.
If there is nothing wrong with the keyboard I can load and perform in complete confidence, I have it covered. Every time I load another persons work it changes my keyboard – but I am prepared. I call this my good habit.

As far as Bill’s Initializing thought, he is so right – if the house is dirty clean it, it is necessary when you have done all that you know. There have been times when I just stare with a puzzled look on my face –Time to Initialize.

As far as the Sequencer being on when you go to play, I can only say aaaaaah! Yes, embarrassing –annoying.

Benefits:
1-When you record a song you are always starting with the same information in the keyboard – it is your foundation.
2-When performing there are no surprises, (except for the sequencer) Grrrr.

I know that I have repeated some of what others have said but I needed to give a complete story. A N D it’s 3:25 AM and my old mind gets very wordy.

Hope this helps, John C.

Ain’t this a great place???

#47034 - 08/13/07 03:07 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
Bill Norrie Offline

Good thoughts John - even at that unbelievable hour

One other trick I use to overcome the possibility of a 'rogue' sequence being still active : When I save a set-up which does not use the sequencer ie just Panel Memories, Sound Memories, Composer etc. I save a BLANK sequencer as well and this will automatically clear any previous sequencer data, when loaded. Just make absolutely sure that the sequencer is clear or that the sequencer has been initialised, before saving the set-up to SD or Floppy Disk.
I use this method when gigging on KN7000, when I have a list of song set-ups on SD Card, for a particular performance, which includes some with sequenced accompaniment and others with just a basic set-up. Having played a song, which includes a sequence, if the next song in the list does not use a sequence, then during the loading process, the Blank sequence automatically clears the sequencer and turns it off .
This of course works even with random choices of songs within the list, provided a blank sequence is included with each non-sequenced song.

Aldous Huxley

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online