SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#467258 - 03/08/19 06:10 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Paul, nearly all the KJs and DJs in my part of the world long since switched to the Bose L1 Mod II with a pair of 10-inch subs. They'll blow the doors off most venues. Give it a try - they have a fantastic return policy if you're not happy with the product.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#467259 - 03/08/19 06:44 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
[quote=montunoman]Thanks guys, so many options, I'm kinda going crazy!

Bill and Torch, the Beringer and the LD seems like a great lite weight choice and the price is right! Not sure if it would have the punch needed though?

I can't help but have doubts about the Bose that Gary recommends and Maui that Eric and Manuel recommend. Believe, I really don't want to shelp 18 inch subs but my competitors are all using as many as four 18' subs and multiple 15' tops.

As Manuel pointed out, Latinos (especially younger ones) love to feel that bass
pumping. I think there must be a reason you never see any band or DJ using these small Bose and Maui systems at these Latino events.

The reason I suggested the Behringers with your Compacts is its modular, light weight, affordable and in your budget. Get a large system and you always have a large system. Go modular and you are more versitale for different situations. One compact, two, add a sub, add two. Your set for anything and its affordabe.

#467260 - 03/08/19 07:00 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
Ketron_AJ Offline

Loc: Middletown, DE
montunoman

When it comes to professional PA system, there is clarity (at high volumes) and there is power. Expensive systems are 'expensive' because they deliver on both ends very WELL.

There are a couple of reasons why when you go to a Latin/Caribbean/Funk/Gospel/Soul/Reggae ... etc or similar event, you won't find professional Sound crews using any Bose system either on or off stage - the fundamental being you get more quality and power per $ in other professional sound systems. Also, if a component of your PA breaks down (e.g 1 speaker or 1 sub), you can have that component fixed while carrying on with the rest of the gear. Due to multiple speakers, you also stand a better chance of filling the room with complete (not partial) mids and lows by placing the sound exactly where you want it. Finally, being able to control your tops and subs differently gives you the power to maintain clean bass or kick drum notes, without any programmed 'compressor' kicking in.

Write down your needs, then go through all systems and see which satisfies you the most.

Thanks,

AJ

#467273 - 03/09/19 01:55 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
Bill Lewis Offline

I think the confusion is coming from how loud you want to be. Multiple 18" subs and 15" tops is really overkill for an indoor event. I saw a Mexican band come into a restaurant here with some home made speakers the size of a compact car. It was so loud it was painful. I wasn't around past their sound check but I'll bet they had to turn it down. And forget bout moving all that.
To take one step up from what I first suggested then go with the Behringer 1500 subs $400 ea. and add another ev ZLX12 $400. Use you Bose for a monitor. IMHO that should be plenty loud enough, you'll still be able to move it all, and you'll have cash leftover.
Good Luck

#467283 - 03/09/19 07:09 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: Bill Lewis]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Or go with an EV sub like the zxa1- advertised as 700w vs behringer 500w. More $ but ev 12 subs I've had perform like larger ones without the weight. Add your 12" tops to that.

Edited by sparky589 (03/09/19 07:12 PM)

#467296 - 03/10/19 06:50 AM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: sparky589]
Bill Lewis Offline

Originally Posted By sparky589
Or go with an EV sub like the zxa1- advertised as 700w vs behringer 500w. More $ but ev 12 subs I've had perform like larger ones without the weight. Add your 12" tops to that.

EVs would definatley be a good choice if money is not the concern. That was my choice also but for the few times I need a sub and I happened to find a gret deal on the Behringer I went with that. Its ,preformed well
BTW Reverb has a pair of the EVs for $1000..

#467297 - 03/10/19 06:52 AM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

#467315 - 03/10/19 04:37 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: Ketron_AJ]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By Ketron_AJ
montunoman
There are a couple of reasons why when you go to a Latin/Caribbean/Funk/Gospel/Soul/Reggae ... etc or similar event, you won't find professional Sound crews using any Bose system either on or off stage - the fundamental being you get more quality and power per $ in other professional sound systems. AJ
Your comments go well with many posts by audio experts I have read over the years.

Anyway, I like the idea other members suggested; using what you have and adding more to to them. That way, once can have a flexible system without spending too much money.

Chris
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#467325 - 03/10/19 07:17 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: Torch]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Quote:
Your comments go well with many posts by audio experts I have read over the years.

Anyway, I like the idea other members suggested; using what you have and adding more to to them. That way, once can have a flexible system without spending too much money.

Chris

I agree.
I have two Bose L1 compacts with EV sub.
This way I have 3 configurations:
1 Bose
2 Bose
2 Bose plus 1 sub.
Eric

#467362 - 03/11/19 01:58 PM Re: Looking for a Bigger PA System with Subs [Re: montunoman]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I'm busy researching all of them and hopefully I will be able to try most of the suggested gear at some of the local stores around here this week. I'll let you know what I decide soon....

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online