SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#465102 - 01/24/19 07:20 AM Hardware vs Software costs
Bachus Offline

Hardware is expensive, but in general our arrangers can do it all. And when you sell your hardware after a few years, it brings back quite some money. Used hardware is ever popular. So you get a nice downpayment for your new keybord.

Software is not as expensive as hardware, but requires a somewhat expensive pc or mac. Some software can be sold as used software, some can’t. But selling software is hard to near impossible.. in the end tis solution offers everything you would ever wish for where it comes to high end sounds and verstatallity and quallity. With backward compatibillity of these OS, your pckage will be guaranteed to work for a huge time..

And then there is the ipad apps, they are cheap, offer the same quallity of hardware and VST’s, and are easilly accesible.. but you can not sell them, and once a producer quits support, they will probably not work with future versions of IOS..

The biggest advantage of a hardware solution is that everything works out of the box.. and that in for exampkes arrangers, there is a huge amount of ready to go content. And thats probably the reason that many are still confident (i am) with their expensive hardware.. personally i have come to the conclusion that i only use software to fill in the holes that the hardware leaves in my desire..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#465106 - 01/24/19 08:24 AM Re: Hardware vs Software costs [Re: Bachus]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I think your synopsis is very helpful, since you delve into the shadowy world of software music production far more than most of us on this forum. As for me, I am trying to get a basic inventory of tools together in order to learn more ways to make music with a controller and computer. However, after so many years doing things the old way, I tend to think in old terms. For example,I have VST hosts on pc and iPad,and I have sample libraries on both. Now, I think what the heck am I going to do with them except having supplemental sounds to use. I thinks of how to bring motion to them, and see that first I must create tracks, then, I guess, use arps or loops. Not easy.

I still think in terms of vArranger and BIAB, where I am more at ease. The other hurdle is that weird sounds and modern rhythms don't float my boat. I am trying to use these tools against the intended norms, and bring them back to my way. I had better change my thinking(ha!) or forget it.

With all of this, however, remains an intrigue just the same. I will keep plugging and glean what I can.

#465107 - 01/24/19 08:38 AM Re: Hardware vs Software costs [Re: Bachus]
Bachus Offline

If things work out..

I plan to make some youtube tutorials
How to add Ipad sounds to the Genos
And work from there adding more depth

I only need to convince my wife to be the cameragirl

#465112 - 01/24/19 08:56 AM Re: Hardware vs Software costs [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
If things work out..

I only need to convince my wife to be the cameragirl

Tripod comes to mind confused1

#465125 - 01/24/19 10:19 AM Re: Hardware vs Software costs [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I think the cost of hardware is tolerated because it is familiar, and advances at a pace that most can handle. While many here are comfortable with deeply venturing into software, it must range from uncomfortable to intimidating to some who have difficulty comprehending it and operating the technology that uses it as well. And software advances faster than the introduction of one new arranger to the next. Keeping up is more challenging.

#465126 - 01/24/19 10:41 AM Re: Hardware vs Software costs [Re: Bachus]
zionip Offline

Loc: TX
If things work out..

Bachus,

Good luck. Are you talking about making some dummy YEM expansion packs on Genos to trigger sounds from iOS apps on your iPad Pro?

On the other hand, if you refer to choosing Genos sounds from your iPad Pro, since iOS app KeyStage does not support sending sysex messages yet, you cannot choose the preferred DSPs with your selected Genos sounds. Unless you already found another iOS app that can address this, I do not see any resolution from KeyStage yet. If you accept the extra step of pressing the voice on Genos for any voice you choose from KeyStage as a workaround, you will then have to follow-up your video tutorials when KeyStage is fixed to send sysex messages.

V-Console for Genos, which runs only on Windows, already has all the features that you talked about and much more. You just have to decide between spending more money for V-Console to end your search, or spending more time to find and configure iOS apps that will work with Genos to achieve your goals.

Thanks,
Paul

Edited by zionip (01/24/19 11:43 PM)

#465194 - 01/25/19 11:14 PM Re: Hardware vs Software costs [Re: zionip]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By zionip
If things work out..

Bachus,

Good luck. Are you talking about making some dummy YEM expansion packs on Genos to trigger sounds from iOS apps on your iPad Pro?

On the other hand, if you refer to choosing Genos sounds from your iPad Pro, since iOS app KeyStage does not support sending sysex messages yet, you cannot choose the preferred DSPs with your selected Genos sounds. Unless you already found another iOS app that can address this, I do not see any resolution from KeyStage yet. If you accept the extra step of pressing the voice on Genos for any voice you choose from KeyStage as a workaround, you will then have to follow-up your video tutorials when KeyStage is fixed to send sysex messages.

V-Console for Genos, which runs only on Windows, already has all the features that you talked about and much more. You just have to decide between spending more money for V-Console to end your search, or spending more time to find and configure iOS apps that will work with Genos to achieve your goals.

Thanks,
Paul

Well, i was thinking about starting with the basics.

How to connect the ipad and why to use an external audio interface..
And then start out with Aum.. which is an easy way if you want to make layered sounds in.

concerning Keystage, i got an answer on my question, if its possible to select setlist entries by bank and program changes.. i asked Ali Goturk, the developer himself, who is quite active and supporting on the audiobus forums. this is the answer i got

Quote:
Well you can select setlist entries with program change messages (prg 0 corresponds to first song, prg 1 to second song and so on).

Go to Preferences/External MIDI Control. First select your midi inputs, then turn on "Change Songs with CC Values". Finally select 'prg' in "CC Number for Changing Songs", or use midi learn button and send a program change message.

Needless to say, i am enjoying my discovery of the Genos in combination with the new ipad apps.

Camelot Pro, does support this fully, selecting entries by program change. Butt hen it does not support Genos (yet) and i don't have a 2nd key in my setup, as i am to busy enjoying what i am doing now, there is no need for one any time soon. So, also no need for V-console, i like the challenging of building my own V-console functionallity on an ipad to much.

So first i need to find an ipad setup that works.. and then i will need to bring the hardware modules and the mac mini into the setup.. and then there will be room for bringing in the lower keybed.

I am also considering selling the mac, as all Genos programs are windows based, and then using Camelot pro on windows as my new host. But that will be a huge task, first i need to switch all my licenses to the windows system which is gonna be a scaring experience.. But adding a windows system, will open up new possibilities over time, like using my Windows copy of Biab again, and even buying V-arranger.

Offcourse with just playing the Genos and making music, i have far less time diving into this all then i wished for. And my daytime job is way to time consuming to. And then there is my home studio, which we are redecorating. I did the paintjob Yesterday evening, so now its up to the wife. Where it used to be my music studio, it will soon be half my music studio and half her atelier painting studio. Luckilly the room is big enough, when building our home i envisioned there should be more then enough room for a 9ft grand piano in my studio.

#465249 - 01/26/19 01:15 PM Re: Hardware vs Software costs [Re: Bachus]
Terrysutt Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Be careful,changing to Windows 10,it can be a nightmare with all the problems that arise with each automatic update.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online