SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4639 - 10/18/04 05:16 AM New Roland Juno-D
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well Roland has done it yet again. They introduced a new Juno synthesizer, the Juno-D. I first heard about this over on the VSE BBS. Some of the memebers on there have been pretty harsh about this particular synth and with Roland for produceing it. They say it wrong for Roland to produce a new Juno, and that all roland is doing is reisueing an RS synth as a new Juno. Also that Roland should have left the Juno line alone. But there are a few who do praise it and Roland for introduceing it. It is being sold as a budget synth for under $1,000.00.

Sliders have been replaced with six knobs and a small LCD screen has been added along with a D-Beam controller. It come with Radio Ready sounds. Whcih I am not eaxctly sure what Roland means by that. The body itself is remanisent of the XP-10.

Now I know this is NOT the same synth as say the Juno's 6, 60 and 106, or even the Alpha Juno's, but I think it sounds rather good. This coming from a Juno owner. granted this synth is not going to be everyones cup of tea. But it's nice to see another budget synth on the market. I don't know if any pro's will buy this synth, since it is marketed to the begining synth/keyboard player.
http://www.rolandus.com

#4640 - 10/18/04 10:24 AM Re: New Roland Juno-D
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
I am sure they ment to say “Elevator music ready: sounds.
This little guy is nothing more then an updated version of a previously mentioned XP-10 which was basically a General Midi keyboard with knobs and an arpeggiator.

FOr what it is it is not bad at all. Six knobs, nice FX setup, lots of sounds and groove features, but would someone please tell me why in the world they would name something like that “JUNO”?

-ED-

#4641 - 10/18/04 06:12 PM Re: New Roland Juno-D
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
Agreed.
You know what floors me? Is that we can no longer rely on model names for an anticipated expectation of sound.
If Roland was smart, they would produce 16, 32 and 64 voice Jupiters with a new generation JU sound chip capable of flexible sound formant. Now if Roland did that, I think they would sell some boards

#4642 - 11/01/04 12:23 PM Re: New Roland Juno-D
TM Offline

"I am sure they ment to say “Elevator music ready: sounds.
This little guy is nothing more then an updated version of a previously mentioned XP-10 which was basically a General Midi keyboard with knobs and an arpeggiator."

Not directed at you, just this is an odd statement given the gear and sound many people of these boards have. Elevator music seems to be the rule of the day...so in a twisted way this could be exactly what some are looking for.

Past that there is a software editor for the board, its merits are up in the air...yet it does have one.

I kinda felt the Juno-D was more an RS-50 give or take random features more then anything else.

"You know what floors me? Is that we can no longer rely on model names for an anticipated expectation of sound."

Well, if someone reads a name...and just buys something its their problem.

"If Roland was smart, they would produce 16, 32 and 64 voice Jupiters with a new generation JU sound chip capable of flexible sound formant. Now if Roland did that, I think they would sell some boards"

Roland might just be smart, explore their site a bit...in reality they are working on your stated fantasy ( at least in part).

#4643 - 11/01/04 04:40 PM Re: New Roland Juno-D
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
Well surely I don't purchase by model name, but I was referring to an expectation of sound, or said another way, what one would expect in the instrument's characteristics of sound and features; a series of models with similarities.
Yeah I've seen that at the Roland site. The historical bumm trip with Roland is they show models to the music community and the public and take a really long time to finally release the product.

MORPH!

#4644 - 11/01/04 05:08 PM Re: New Roland Juno-D
3351 Offline

Paul, regarding your comment below...
Learn to read other people's posts more carefully. You've entirely missed the point.

ANd hey, that guy over there...
Not aimed at you but ..
Working for ROland by any chance?
-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 11-02-2004).]

#4645 - 11/01/04 05:49 PM Re: New Roland Juno-D
Anonymous
Unregistered

So you guys think Roland should not have done this? I don't get it? I mean Korg has done something like this twice. First with the MS2000 and now the Legacy. Is it becuse Roland was trying to come up with something new? Granted I am not as particular about synths as most people are. Well I am at lest trying not to be. All I can seem to figure out is Roland produced a new lower priced synthesizer based on the RS series and just happend to call it a Juno? Whats wrong with that? I mean Look at what they have Done with the Fantom now they are introduceing the FantomXA and Korg has the Triton Extreme and Yamaha has a new motif. But I don't hear people bitching about that. But let Roland produce one little inexpensive synth call it a Juno and all hell breaks loose. If you like it fine if not that's okay too. But lets not condem it or Roland for produceing it. Heck! The Roland Juno-106 is starting to loose popularity. Prices for it are dropping like crazy.

Let's just give it a chance. If it succeeds good for Roland if not, well no big whoop!

#4646 - 11/02/04 03:27 AM Re: New Roland Juno-D
TM Offline

IM fine...Roland can name their stuff whatever they want. Heck you can check the Juno-Ds manual online So its not like some fast one is being pulled. The people that are pissed about the use of the Juno name, are those that feel its crime and dishonor to the analog synths of the past.

#4647 - 11/02/04 03:47 AM Re: New Roland Juno-D
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oaky so I don't fully understand why som people are pissed off at roland for doing this? And I probably never will. I was only 12 years old when Roland released the Juno-106. But I was never exposed to synthesizers until I was in high school. The first synth I was exposed to was a DX-7, even my first synth was a DX-7IIFD. Since I have been around digital synths more then analog synths. I will never get why this is just a bad thing that Roland has done.

#4648 - 11/02/04 07:51 AM Re: New Roland Juno-D
3351 Offline

See, Yamaha and Korg didn’t do the same thing.
An MS2000 is basically a virtual analog version of the original MS-20. At least it’s aimed toward modeling of analog sounds.
A Triton extreme is still a Triton as we know it and love it but with added features. Same with the Motif.

Roland have done just the opposite. They’ve used the name JUNO for something that has nothing to do with the original JUNO series. It is not right or wrong. It is just weird.

Now, nobody is bitching, nobody is pissed off. That is strictly your perception of what’s going on. That’s why it helps to read other peple’s posts more carefully. Because I get the impression that you only care about what you write yourself. Communication is a two way process you know.

-ED-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online