SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#456448 - 08/18/18 10:49 AM Anyone have knee replacement recently?
Dnj Offline

Anyone have knee replacement recently?
my knees are weak sometimes until I get going thru the day...yes a Tylenol here and there helps, but standing for long periods on stage years ago night after night until I woke up and sat down playing kb, old age, arthritis, degeneration who knows,.....so scared down the road I will if needed ever have to have knee replacement whole or partial.....or face a cane or walker without the procedures,.....
has anyone gone thru this...if so what was your experiences, therapy, and rehab ritual, full recovery time etc,... frown

#456452 - 08/18/18 11:03 AM Re: Anyone have knee replacement recently? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I am always looking for alternatives also...

#456459 - 08/18/18 11:44 AM Re: Anyone have knee replacement recently? [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Donny...went through knee surgery a year ago. Didn’t have a replacement, but was told during PT that if a replacement was necessary...go with a total replacement.

jingleman

#456462 - 08/18/18 12:36 PM Re: Anyone have knee replacement recently? [Re: jingleman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
Donny...went through knee surgery a year ago. Didn’t have a replacement, but was told during PT that if a replacement was necessary...go with a total replacement.

jingleman

how long was PT..?

#456466 - 08/18/18 01:15 PM Re: Anyone have knee replacement recently? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Anyone have knee replacement recently?
my knees are weak sometimes until I get going thru the day...yes a Tylenol here and there helps, but standing for long periods on stage years ago night after night until I woke up and sat down playing kb, old age, arthritis, degeneration who knows,.....so scared down the road I will if needed ever have to have knee replacement whole or partial.....or face a cane or walker without the procedures,.....
has anyone gone thru this...if so what was your experiences, therapy, and rehab ritual, full recovery time etc,... frown

Donny you have been sitting for the nearly 20 years I have known you smile

I believe in use it or lose it... I am pretty sure I have been more active than you over the years.. I have always played sports and have had my share of injuries.. never went under a knife..

My old buddies from younger days were quick to get cut up.. I played on average more than another 30 years after they became spectators.. grin

Don't get lazy.. force yourself to be active... even if it is walking.. Hopefully the use it or lose it has not caught up to you.. frown

BTW: I try to walk 4-6 miles a day.. (usually 4 days a week).. and I pick the hottest time of the day to walk.. smile

You would be surprised how many operations are not needed.. I have heard this from doctors that brag about the easy buck to be made..

#456482 - 08/18/18 06:26 PM Re: Anyone have knee replacement recently? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I fully agree, Fran. Orthopedic surgery is a huge, money making business throughout the nation. Donny, unless you are in excruciating pain and your joints are down to bone on bone and eroded, there is no good reason for knee replacement surgery.

Recovery time for total knee replacement varies significantly with the age and weight of the patient. Overweight and morbidly obese individuals frequently experience up to 12 weeks in a rehabilitation facility, which in many instances is nothing more than a glorified nursing home with a gym and a physical therapist on staff. People that are normal weight and fairly physically fit, may spend as little as a week in the facility, then a couple months of therapy at an outside facility.

There are a fair amount of wound infections that are associated with joint replacement surgeries, too. I personally, know of a half dozen friends that experienced this and some had to go back for complete revisions, which is a horrendous experience.

Think about this one seriously before jumping in with both feet,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#456483 - 08/18/18 06:32 PM Re: Anyone have knee replacement recently? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Thanks for the great advice at this point I am just fishing for information pro or con....

#456498 - 08/19/18 07:17 AM Re: Anyone have knee replacement recently? [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

I'm on Fran's thought - use or lose. I stand when playing (for the last 10 years or so). I drive quite a bit to jobs, etc and sitting in a car is enough - I limp to the front door and fit in well with the residents smile But standing up and moving around gets the circulation going again. Plus I sing much better (need all the help I can get).

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#456500 - 08/19/18 07:37 AM Re: Anyone have knee replacement recently? [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
To be honest Donny...If I had to do it over, I might have avoided it. I’m still having little issues almost a year after.

Mine was a Workman’s Comp situation. If I hadn’t had the surgery with WC...my standard insurance might not have covered it...if it got worse and a year had passed.

Good Luck,
jingleman

PS: rehab was a drag...but you’d get through it.

#456501 - 08/19/18 07:41 AM Re: Anyone have knee replacement recently? [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By zuki
I'm on Fran's thought - use or lose. I stand when playing (for the last 10 years or so). I drive quite a bit to jobs, etc and sitting in a car is enough - I limp to the front door and fit in well with the residents smile But standing up and moving around gets the circulation going again. Plus I sing much better (need all the help I can get).

Zuki just wait it will eventually take its toll not in a good way on stage and you will be sitting. one hr is nothing try doing some
two 4 hr doubles back to back and you and your back and feet will be begging for a chair big time ....enjoy it for now. good luck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online