SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#456644 - 08/21/18 07:20 PM BK9 performances
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Here is a post I uploaded on Roland arranger site..
I thought I would get some feedback here too.. smile

BK9 performances

Diki and other users.. What part of my concept will not work?

I am considering working with a "live" band, as a left hand bass and keyboard player..

They use a drummer , a sax player, and guitar player as well as keys..

I am considering spending a lot of time editing and creating Performances..
They would cover the live band, but also sequence play and style play
all with in the same performance..

I would want to set up the real time keyboard parts, the style, the SMF(link),
audio keys (mostly for audio drums in sync).

Mic settings, and transpose to match the band keys and I would play in the standard key..

And the biggie that could put it over the top...
I want to use JPG's of the song music score and display then on a monitor..
A single picture, that will show only the pic when played as a slide show..

Each performance will be named as a song and easy selection (set up) at the push of a button...
then I would/could select the source ..Live, Style, or SMF.

What do you think?

#456645 - 08/21/18 08:59 PM Re: BK9 performances [Re: Fran Carango]
SAM CA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I think that's just a terrible idea....unless they're all beginners? If they're capable musicians, I would do exactly the opposite. In fact that's the first thing I would do. Turn off ALL Style tracks, except maybe some pads and stuff...and/or the click track for the drummer.

#456646 - 08/21/18 09:22 PM Re: BK9 performances [Re: SAM CA]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By SAM CA
I think that's just a terrible idea....unless they're all beginners? If they're capable musicians, I would do exactly the opposite. In fact that's the first thing I would do. Turn off ALL Style tracks, except maybe some pads and stuff...and/or the click track for the drummer.

You missed my point... Yes the other players are all seasoned players,, and yes if the drummer wanted to play to a style or SMF , I would send the click track to him and mute parts played by the band members...

But that is just part of my reason for a universal performance..

I also do a single, and request.. so the SMF's are custom for me..
Style play to handle request. AUDIO KEYS FOR ADDED DRUMS.. and Jpeg scores for lyrics and music score/chords..

How you think this is a terrible idea, totally surprises me... but I realize you didn't completely understand why... or may have my experience in all situations..

#456647 - 08/21/18 10:02 PM Re: BK9 performances [Re: Fran Carango]
SAM CA Offline

Well, I only mentioned the band part, because that was the most important part of your post. That alone changes everything. It even changes how a band sounds and performs. Take the backing track out and their performance will change altogether.

I guess I'm still confused about the universal performance concept. So you do singles and requests but when? In between the songs? Like the band would do a few songs and then you cover solo ? or you have your own time for such requests?

#456648 - 08/21/18 10:36 PM Re: BK9 performances [Re: SAM CA]
Fran Carango Offline

No, the band gig would just be me playing left hand bass and piano mostly...all live... I also gig as a single, sometimes left hand bass and piano with drums and maybe rhythm guitar (style).. mostly as a single I will play over custom SMF's..

For request , usually I will play left hand bass and piano along with drums.. if I do not have a SMF.... or I know the song anyway..

The band guys average more than 40 years performing each.. 2 of them full time musicians..

BTW: I listened to a few of your demos.. You appear to be a piano player.. Do you use the Korg as an arranger on gigs?

Edited by Fran Carango (08/21/18 10:40 PM)

#456649 - 08/22/18 07:33 AM Re: BK9 performances [Re: Fran Carango]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Fran, your posts opens so many doors about what is best to do.
1-What is the main thing you are trying to accomplish?
2-What has been successful so far?

For me, after a good keyboard set up, is freedom. (As a OMB)
When I had my band it was the right song with the right tempo and volume and relating to the people. I have stopped singing (the band kept playing) and said Happy birthday to, or guess who is here tonight. Freedom, Freedom.

Am I saying no recorded background? Only if it is a must.

My thoughts, John C.
PS, If I was backing a show every part of the show would be programmed – the importance is the show.

#456652 - 08/22/18 08:13 AM Re: BK9 performances [Re: Fran Carango]
SAM CA Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
No, the band gig would just be me playing left hand bass and piano mostly...all live... I also gig as a single, sometimes left hand bass and piano with drums and maybe rhythm guitar (style).. mostly as a single I will play over custom SMF's..

For request , usually I will play left hand bass and piano along with drums.. if I do not have a SMF.... or I know the song anyway..

The band guys average more than 40 years performing each.. 2 of them full time musicians..

BTW: I listened to a few of your demos.. You appear to be a piano player.. Do you use the Korg as an arranger on gigs?

You see, there's so much more that wasn't explained in the original post.

If you had to go back and forth between a personal customized set up and live band situation within the same gig, then I could see why you would want to have one set up for the entire night...especially if you have one main keyboard. If that were the case, you'd have to constantly change the settings to switch to your solo act. Definitely not convenient!

But if your solo performance is a whole different gig, then anything goes. I'm sure midi files do come handy when you get a request for songs that you don't know that well.

I'm mainly a Pianist but I do use the arranger features for quick recordings at home. For pop music, I only have 1 or maybe 2 gigs a year. Everything else is Piano accompaniments for Choir and various instrumental ensembles. Performance is not my specialty, so I don't really play as much as you guys do.

#456659 - 08/22/18 08:51 AM Re: BK9 performances [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Why not just play your part on the keyboard against the midi file or MP3 backing track as if you were just in a band as another player while they do all the singing....

#456668 - 08/22/18 09:39 AM Re: BK9 performances [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Why not just play your part on the keyboard against the midi file or MP3 backing track as if you were just in a band as another player while they do all the singing....

Real bands don.t want to do that...You have a drummer, sax, and guitar players.. They don't want to go the karaoke way.. smile

I don't understand why no one gets my concept... if all I mentioned can be done it is a perfect performance set..

It would be as easy as play live... play a style... or play a SMF... all would reside in the same performance,,, and the music score with lyrics will be on the monitor (for live play and style play.. wink

Why would I want to use backing tracks with a band,,, I left the last band after 13 years of this... grin

#456669 - 08/22/18 09:43 AM Re: BK9 performances [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Originally Posted By Dnj

Real bands don.t want to do that...You have a drummer, sax, and guitar players.. They don't want to go the karaoke way.. smile

I don't understand why no one gets my concept... if all I mentioned can be done it is a perfect performance set..

It would be as easy as play live... play a style... or play a SMF... all would reside in the same performance,,, and the music score with lyrics will be on the monitor (for live play and style play.. wink

Why would I want to use backing tracks with a band,,, I left the last band after 13 years of this... grin

I'm confused now your going to go play out with a full band live no tracks involved...or what am I missing? confused1

Edited by Dnj (08/22/18 09:44 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online