SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#456292 - 08/16/18 05:01 PM BK9 vs G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Comparison Roland BK9 vs G70.

To own one or the other, would be complete satisfaction.

To own both can cause indecision.

They each have strengths and features over the other.

After spending dedicated time with the BK9 (purposely put the G70 away.),
and then set up the G70 again for side by side comparison...sounds , styles and sequences..

The BK9 has a complete range of features that I like a lot.. the media player works well..
and the wave recorder and midi recorder, likewise..

The mic input is clear and powerful with phantom power too. Mic effects are good.

The keybed is very playable..

Insert effects are plentiful . 3 for SMF's and 2 for realtime parts.

Super Natural sounds are just that,,, SUPER.

Audio keys can be very useful, if you get pass the novelty and use them correctly..
First and formost , use drum loops..(audio drums).

Storage galore, flashdrive does the job..

If this was your only keyboard, you would be a happy camper..

The G70 lacks the audio player and media player, but excells in all other aspects..

Touch screen spoils you.. you may get use to the BK9 screen operations but no substitute
for G70 touch screen.

Also for edited parts of SMF or styles .. no contest , G70 rules..

G70 adds "cover" for SMF's and styles..

The mic input is a bit less clear than the BK9, but adds more control and harmony..

The Singer key feature is a great feature..

The transpose is easier to use on the G70..

The separate outs are very useful and missed on the BK9.. Likewise the separate output from the mic..

Sound comparison resulted in a mixed bag..The BK9 with Super Natural sounds is really great..
Problem is... we can't use Super Natyral with Styles or SMF's as a sound source.. only realtime parts..

The G70 allowed us to use the SRX boards in both Style and SMF's..

I have listened in detail and although close in sound, the G70 just sounds better to me..
I watched a E80 vs BK9 video on youtube and the player showed the E80 sounded better, so
I did the same comparisons and the same results... G70 was better sound...

If you only owned the BK9 , would never realize there was a better sound elsewhere..

BTW: I did this comparison with Korg, Ketron and Yamaha keyboards... and the results are all the same.. G70

has the best overall sounds.

The BK9 is 25 pounds lighter than the G70. And the quality difference in construction is reflected in the weight factor..

I also have more trust in the Italian factory quality over the Chinese manufactureres..

I would love to hear the styles and SMF's using Super Natural sounds.. Maybe the Integra7 is on my target list..
I would not want the Integra7 to default to a GM2 bank but I would want to assign the Super Natural sounds,,,
I think that is possible using the studio sound sets..

Maybe some Integra7 owners can enlighten me..

BTW: if I could only own the G70 or BK9...............It would be the G70.

Edited by Fran Carango (08/16/18 05:34 PM)

#456295 - 08/16/18 05:49 PM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

That was a great comparison now that you got that out of the way when are you selling the bk9 confused1

#456298 - 08/16/18 06:02 PM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
That was a great comparison now that you got that out of the way when are you selling the bk9 confused1

But I can own as many boards as I want..

Nothing is for sale.... until Roland comes out with a better then I have keyboard.. smile

#456299 - 08/16/18 06:15 PM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

If the g70 is the best keyboard for you no matter what why even look for other ones just play and enjoy meanwhile.... I'm drinking a banana, blueberry, strawberry, smoothie with almond milk... Oh yea!

#456301 - 08/16/18 06:29 PM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

The BK9 has a place in my world too... light, compact and I can even DJ with it… No need for any laptop or tablet..

BTW: as for what you are drinking.... YUK!!!!!

#456308 - 08/16/18 07:56 PM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: Fran Carango]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Fran Carango
light, compact and I can even DJ with it… No need for any laptop or tablet..

I know a few of you do it but I just can't picture a 70-80 yr. old DJ. Where ARE these events???...in a funeral home??? Any problem finding music slow enough for your 60 yr. old stripper. I guess that explains why Donny was promoting that gurney as an equipment cart; it can serve double duty in an emergency.

chas - aka Jon Benjamin, pianist

#456312 - 08/16/18 10:24 PM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

If you like supernatural sounds... the jupiter 80 adds another layer on top of the integra 7... thats because the features in the live sets...

I think the jupiter 80 is the most underestimated piece of gear ever produced by Roland...
Sadly it kinda failed economicaly.. making Roland step further away from this kid of products...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#456348 - 08/17/18 08:37 AM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Fran Carango
light, compact and I can even DJ with it… No need for any laptop or tablet..

I know a few of you do it but I just can't picture a 70-80 yr. old DJ. Where ARE these events???...in a funeral home??? Any problem finding music slow enough for your 60 yr. old stripper.
chas

If I keep studying your work, maybe I could do stand-up, with the Captain at my side smile

Soooooo funny smile smile

Edited by zuki (08/17/18 08:37 AM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#456357 - 08/17/18 09:32 AM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By cgiles
I just can't picture a 70-80 yr. old DJ. Where ARE these events??? Any problem finding music slow enough for your 60 yr. old stripper.

Oh my ... where to begin? Chas, my friend, I feel that you don't get out much. Todays "party crowd" is, indeed, an older bunch than one might imagine, but they are full of energy. My typical audience is 50-80, with a few more beyond each end of that spectrum, but the general vibe is one of happy, upbeat fun. One nice thing about being in the biz for so long, is that my fans have grown with me. I played a "legacy wedding" last year; the daughter of a woman whose wedding I played 30 years ago. Very special time. There are 2 crowds out and about these days. The first is the millennials, and 30 somethings, who are abusing their bodies, and wallets to get the "high" that they so deserve from working all week. The next is the more mature, older crowd, who have some money, appreciate a nice dining/dancing venue, and might be in a retired, or semi-retired part of their journey, affording them more time to go out, without having to get up early the next day.
The restaurant I set up house in (4 nights a week) has a mix of both, but leans towards the latter. Often, on a weekend night, about 11ish, the regulars are starting to yawn, and pay their bills, and a fresh crowd of young bucks will storm in, loaded for bear .... wanting to sing, and have a good time. This is healthy for the business, because some of our crowd is dying off. It's fresh blood. The kiddies love what I do, and respect that even though I have more in common with their parents, than with them, I can still rock the house to a successful result.
Look at the many rockers in their 70s that are still touring ..... Paul McCartney, Ringo, Mick Jagger ... lots of old codgers, out there in the trenches, still.
A good DJ should be an entertainer. The skill set requires more than a knowledge of "what to play," but a knack to give the room a "pulse" throughout the night. It's imperative that a party have ebbs, and flows to be successful. A good entertainer can orchestrate this pace. A great sound system, and access to you tube is not enough to make one a good DJ.

I'll probably come back, read this, and make some edits, but I have to leave for a job, right now. I just wanted to weigh in on these thoughts.
BTW - I can show you some amazing pics of 60 yr olds who will turn heads all day long. Strippers, or not - 60 is definitely the new 40!
(2 words - Christy Brinkley)

#456358 - 08/17/18 09:32 AM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
see?

Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 12.31.38 PM.png

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online