SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#455891 - 08/09/18 09:48 AM A mess, a total mess... ugh...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Hey guys - Bought a Tyros 5 about 18 months ago and for various reasons didn't start setting it up until earlier this year. A few more unexpected things happened and couldn't make much progress at that time.

I've been working on it in earnest on a daily basis the last six weeks or so and while there's a LOT I love about it, there's one (to me) major drawback that has prevented me (so far) from really being able to make it my main KB for gigging with.

This EQ-ing every instrument is over my head. I loaded in the global EQ settings a month ago and I didn't like the sound at all. The high end was very thing and the low end too boomy.

I then set it on the Line Out PA, which I thought was a decent improvement, but then when I tried it on a gig, it sucked. Especially the piano.

So, then I tried EQ-ing the piano and again, it got a little better buy the low end of the piano is still too boomy, the mids and highs are whimpy.

It's reminding me of an old Korg triton pro x 88 I had and wound up dumping because it was just too detailed.

Its a wholly different experience from the other Tyros's I've owned (1 & 2) and the PSR's (3000 and psr 970S) All of which, after some minor global tweaking, sounded fantastic and I used for years with nothing but praise.

I am frustrated beyond words.

Keeping in mind that I went through what the psrtutorial site suggest and didn't find the sound appealing, can someone please make some suggestions on how to set the global eq and then how to eq the piano so they don't sound so lame, please?

I play mostly nursing homes and animal clubs. I play pretty loud and do everything from big band/standards to classic country to 60/70's rock.

Help!

smile

Edited by Bill in Dayton (08/09/18 09:51 AM)

#455893 - 08/09/18 11:16 AM Re: A mess, a total mess... ugh... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Most of the time I don't like the EQ suggested by other members.
Way to extreme and makes the KB sound unnatural.
As Don says: use EQ sparingly.
For my needs I usually set the compressor first (4-5) if I remember correctly.
Then I start with EQ til I like the sound.
I am looking for fullness and a little sizzle.
I never go above 2-3. Otherwise it is too unnatural.
On my Genos the Compressor is set to 40
EQ 2-2-2-1-1-3-3-3
On my T4 I used EQ 2-2-2-1-1-2-2-2
The Genos needed a little more.
I don't touch the other settings.
To me those setting brings the Instrument alive without changing the natural sound of the Instruments.
As I said: Try for yourself, but less is more.
Good Luck.
Eric.

#455897 - 08/09/18 12:36 PM Re: A mess, a total mess... ugh... [Re: Eric, B]
Dnj Offline

Don't listen to anyone's settings...
USE YOUR OWN EARS coupled with YOUR SPEAKERS hopefully in stereo...
EQ each style part individually on EVERY song.
Also be ready to EQ your overall sound to adapt to each room... there is no Master EQ for all venues..you should go to an empty venue room like an animal club etc,... set up alone and play at performance volumes for a few hours to get the sound EQ & CMP you can work with, then take it out to gigs and KEEP making changes on the fly week after week till it's right,....this takes time, also record all your jobs and listen close to what needs to be changed,.....also with a T5 vs what you used to play T2?...is a totally different beast sound wise now.
good luck

Edited by Dnj (08/10/18 04:32 AM)

#455912 - 08/09/18 04:00 PM Re: A mess, a total mess... ugh... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill, what PA system are you using? This has a lot of bearing on where the settings must be set.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#455922 - 08/10/18 03:57 AM Re: A mess, a total mess... ugh... [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bill, and I have seen that name many tmes in the past; what keyboard were you playing before you bought the Tyros?

John C.

#455923 - 08/10/18 04:58 AM Re: A mess, a total mess... ugh... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Dnj Offline

#455925 - 08/10/18 07:22 AM Re: A mess, a total mess... ugh... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Thanks to everyone for the responses so far.

To the questions asked,

I've been using a Bose Compact for several years and before the T5 I've been using a PSR 970S, which sounds gorgeous through the Bose...

#455931 - 08/10/18 08:17 AM Re: A mess, a total mess... ugh... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bill in Dayton
Thanks to everyone for the responses so far.

To the questions asked,

I've been using a Bose Compact for several years

mono or stereo with two?

#455934 - 08/10/18 10:06 AM Re: A mess, a total mess... ugh... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill, I believe the T5 has a sound engine that is very similar to the S-970, therefore the settings you used on the S-970 should work just fine on the T5 either in mono or stereo.

I think there were some drastic changes made in the Grand Piano voice of the T5, which may account for some of the problems you are encountering. Try using one of the piano voices I created several years ago, which are mono voices, and see if this makes a difference. You can download them from https://app.box.com/s/620aqowt5q1vlnvcl7n9

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#455937 - 08/10/18 11:32 AM Re: A mess, a total mess... ugh... [Re: Dnj]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Mono ... Running two stereo 1/4" cables out of the L/R/L outputs into channel 4/5 on the Tonematch. One cable out to a single Compact...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online