SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#455793 - 08/06/18 09:45 PM what keyboard is the best?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
All of them nowadays. With piano lessons now, I'm going to try and make my mark as a pianist instead of an arranger player. But I realize I need a good digital piano to gig with, for places that don't have an acoustic piano, All I have is the PA3x. So I've been making trips back and forth to the music store and trying the Privias and the Yamahas. Can't find a Roland! But, they all sound good. Slightly different, but quality is much better than it was years ago. And, the one thing I finally realized, is that the audience will accept anything as long as it's entertaining. I figured that out by all these summer concerts I've been going to. Not one of the keyboard players has a new instrument, but do you think anyone notices......NO!. (One fellow I talked to didn't even remember what keyboard he was using it was so old.)

You could drive yourself bonkers going back and forth between keyboards. I'm going to just close my eyes and pick one...either a Yamaha or a Privia. My local GC has tons of them on the floor.

BTW...I was reading the post this morning about the Yamaha DGX-660. I thought "perfect" until I saw the dimensions and weight. Then I noticed someone mentioned the Korg Havian 30. Listened to a few Youtubes, saw what it could do, totally impressed and the big bang for the buck (not to mention good piano sounds), and immediately called SA to inquire about it. He told me it's discontinued. I asked about the Havian 70 (?). He called his rep in California and came back to me with the news: No one at Korg knows anything about a Havian 70. I think I'd like to get a Havian. If anyone knows about a new model coming out, please advise me. Heck, it's something like a mini-PA4x at a fraction of the cost. And great styles.

As of now, I'm figuring out this is a "throwaway" world anyway. So why not just buy a cheap Casio for $500-$600, carry it under my arm for knock-about gigs, and when something really attractive comes along, put the Casio on the shelf and go with the new one.

#455819 - 08/07/18 09:26 AM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Mark
Its really what features you want. I wanted a TOP piano for home and got the Roland FP90. Its so good if I get a steady piano gig I would want to take it despite the 50LB. weight. Take a step down in price and weight and you get he FP30. $700 and it woud definatly do the job. You can even use the bluetooth App for some Rhythms.
In the music store where I worked we had the Roland, Casio Privia, and Yamaha models all at about the same price point. different features with each with the Privia offing the most bells and whistles. Price point is where you will find the big differences in key feel and sound.
Make a comparison list of features of each and then shop. You can also buy/return if you can't find one in the store.

#455822 - 08/07/18 10:14 AM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Mark,

It sounds like you want to bring your digital piano out with you for performances?
If this is the case, the weight of the instrument is a very important factor. Also even the best digital piano it’s not gonna sound very good through a poor PA system.

I happen to own Havian 30, Which I bought through a store in New Jersey at the beginning of the year. I’m sure if you look around on the Internet you can find some stores ithat still have the Havian in stock.

I personally love my Havian and use it almost exclusively as a home practice instrument,

Now with that being said, I know there are better digital pianos out there and better arranger keyboards out there. It’s sort of a hybrid of a digital piano and arranger. For my purposes it’s suites me very well.

Edited by montunoman (08/07/18 10:23 AM)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#455825 - 08/07/18 12:11 PM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

Mark the Ketron sd40 weights 2kg and can be added to any 88 key you want...
Its curentlt the only way to get top of the line arranger styles on an 88 key piano..
This also gives you the freedom of choice for piano..
(Like the roland rd 2000, which is the pro version of the fp-90)
Which works like a charm in combination with an SD40

http://keyszone.boards.net

#455831 - 08/07/18 01:57 PM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

Why carry a heavy piano to a NH when 99% have pianos?

#455832 - 08/07/18 02:04 PM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

99% of the players that want more … like rhythms, or backing tracks..

And when was the last time you played a nursing home on the house piano..... NEVER grin

#455833 - 08/07/18 02:29 PM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

I know many players that walk in and play piano and sing and walk out all the time... if you want Rhythm accompaniment bring a laptop or an arranger..

#455834 - 08/07/18 02:46 PM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

That would be the ideal situation, There are plenty of places besides nursing homes that do not have acoustic panels and lots of places that do have acoustic pianos that are poorly maintained

#455835 - 08/07/18 03:41 PM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman
Originally Posted By Dnj

That would be the ideal situation, There are plenty of places besides nursing homes that do not have acoustic panels and lots of places that do have acoustic pianos that are poorly maintained

Most upscale facilities have decent pianos,..also many players are just too lazy to carry gear plain and simple...
they walk in to a NH play piano and sing, no mic either,
they just want the check$$..and who can blame them they get away with it.? eek2

PS I saw a guy do a NH show with just his Iphone speakers with backing tracks..no Mic, no Pa system at all..just stroll along and sing to the residents and they love it..go figure?

Edited by Dnj (08/07/18 03:58 PM)

#455837 - 08/07/18 04:05 PM Re: what keyboard is the best? [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

I’ve seen a guy do something very similar- just a boom box, sax, he sang, no mic.... He is very talented for sure and works a lot. Really made me rethink getting a Genos/ LOL.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online