SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#454557 - 07/12/18 01:26 AM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By DonM
They didn't make that many of them. Die-hard Roland fans like them a lot.
Too many missing operational features for me. I liked the weight and the organ sounds. Guitars still dated, no vocal harmony, no break/fill, hated the screens. It depends on what you want and need in an arranger.

Don we can be critical about what it will not do for us... but we should make aware what it does that other brands do not.. Like 6 fills, dynamic arranger, best piano mode, D Beam control etc..

If it had a touch screen... just about everyone would love it..

I don't mind the two small screens.. they work well together and I can still see smile

Would I prefer a touch screen.... absolutely..

#454564 - 07/12/18 06:22 AM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
As I said, it depends on what you need and want in an arranger. I gave it a good trial for a month, and it wasn't the best fit for me.

#454567 - 07/12/18 06:54 AM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
124 Offline

No break/fill? On a modern arranger? Dead in the water right there.

#454576 - 07/12/18 07:49 AM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
As I said, it depends on what you need and want in an arranger. I gave it a good trial for a month, and it wasn't the best fit for me.

Don I agree with your assessment..

As a backup for me and the needs it fulfills (light package with all the essentials , Mic, media player , compatible sound to my G70). it is the best unit that I could use..

As I said before in another post... if I could only have one.. it would be the G70 (includes anything I ever played to date)..

#454577 - 07/12/18 08:00 AM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

One of the reasons I wanted the BK9 (over the other BK and EA series...) is the 16 track sequencer.

Check out the video to the end..

#454578 - 07/12/18 08:30 AM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Any idea why Roland resists touchscreen technology nowadays? Was the dual screen intended as a less expensive option, or new innovation that might catch on?

#454582 - 07/12/18 10:20 AM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: sparky589]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By sparky589
Any idea why Roland resists touchscreen technology nowadays? Was the dual screen intended as a less expensive option, or new innovation that might catch on?

Sparky I can see the advantage of dual screens... the EA7 worked great and I can see advantages with the BK9 already..

Basically having different content on a screen while using the other for example..
Lyrics on one screen and editing on the other..

Problem Roland is using too small of a screen...make that two..

Why not use dual touch screens? or an extra large touch screen with a split screen..

Pop ups always annoy me with … … especially the Korg arrangers ( to be fair the Yamaha and Ketron do too)..

#454587 - 07/12/18 11:35 AM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

WOW!!!! after spending a couple hours A/B ing the BK9 and the G70 sounds through identical sound routing... Out of the box , the BK9 has the edge overall.. shocked I am comparing original SMF's without edits played side by side.. I have the BK9 routed thru the G70 inputs and outputted to the same sound system, No mixer..

All mastering tools are off.

The BK9 has additional insert effects that can be used.. I did not check detail as to the modification/changes..

Real time played sounds shine with the BK9, thanks to in part the Super Natural selection..

Now what changes the game in my situation, I use the Studio SRX card in the G70.. this gives me the great drums and bass missing from a stock G70.. Add to this the great EP's Guitars, strings etc.. the G70 comes alive and could be conceived as sounding better than the BK9..

I can see where Diki and others declare the BK9 sounds better then the G70.. a stock G70 , I would agree the BK9 does sound better overall.

I am as happy as pig in slop.. grin To have two instruments that I don't believe can be matched by Korg or Yamaha... Maybe Genos? Have to wait till I try a Genos. Ketron RAM sounds would give the Roland's a run for the money, but only have about 40 RAM sounds in the SD7,9.

It looks to me that I am going to be a strong supporter of the BK9. wink

Now I have two discontinued models that I can't part with.. smile

Edited by Fran Carango (07/12/18 11:40 AM)

#454596 - 07/12/18 01:36 PM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Glad you happy at least,until Roland release,that new board you hinted at. Then we both get major GAS

#454598 - 07/12/18 01:39 PM Re: First impression of my Roland BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By Fran Carango
One of the reasons I wanted the BK9 (over the other BK and EA series...) is the 16 track sequencer.

Check out the video to the end..

WOW !

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online