SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#454328 - 07/04/18 02:28 PM Abacus, Bachus, and any other 'geeks' out there :)
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I'm a regular and committed user of REAPER and I have been recently toying around with that version of CAKEWALK that Bachus pointed us to. I could swear (using the same audio interface, Alesis I/O 26) that the same audio coming out of Cakewalk sounds better (IDENTICAL TO THE ORIGINAL) than the same exact thing recorded in REAPER. Is this possible? Same settings (4400/24bit), same signal, same everything. Could the two DAWS (audio engines) be processing the data differently? It's not that Reaper is bad, it's that Cakewalk sounds better. Any light you can shed on this? Thanks.

chas

#454330 - 07/04/18 07:50 PM Re: Abacus, Bachus, and any other 'geeks' out there :) [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
I'm a regular and committed user of REAPER and I have been recently toying around with that version of CAKEWALK that Bachus pointed us to. I could swear (using the same audio interface, Alesis I/O 26) that the same audio coming out of Cakewalk sounds better (IDENTICAL TO THE ORIGINAL) than the same exact thing recorded in REAPER. Is this possible? Same settings (4400/24bit), same signal, same everything. Could the two DAWS (audio engines) be processing the data differently? It's not that Reaper is bad, it's that Cakewalk sounds better. Any light you can shed on this? Thanks.

chas

Thats quite well possible... it very much depends on your settings... but in general there is allways some dsp happening inside the daw...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#454332 - 07/05/18 02:24 AM Re: Abacus, Bachus, and any other 'geeks' out there :) [Re: cgiles]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
As Bachus says, however it could also be a placebo effect in that you find the Cakewalk software to be easier and friendlier than Reaper, (Which is not the most user friendly) and thus getting a bit of elation effect. (Most likely the processing though)

Bill

#454333 - 07/05/18 06:58 AM Re: Abacus, Bachus, and any other 'geeks' out there :) [Re: cgiles]
SAM CA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Just import both versions in your DAW and phase-reverse one. Line them up on your timeline and play back the session with both tracks on. If they cancel out each other, that means they're identical recordings indeed....if you hear anything, that means one track is a bit different...

#454337 - 07/05/18 09:16 AM Re: Abacus, Bachus, and any other 'geeks' out there :) [Re: SAM CA]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By SAM CA
Just import both versions in your DAW and phase-reverse one. Line them up on your timeline and play back the session with both tracks on. If they cancel out each other, that means they're identical recordings indeed....if you hear anything, that means one track is a bit different...
i like this idea...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#454338 - 07/05/18 10:16 AM Re: Abacus, Bachus, and any other 'geeks' out there :) [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I think I'm going to try it. Thanks to all of you.

chas

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online