Abacus, Bachus, and any other 'geeks' out there :)

Posted by: cgiles

Abacus, Bachus, and any other 'geeks' out there :) - 07/04/18 02:28 PM

I'm a regular and committed user of REAPER and I have been recently toying around with that version of CAKEWALK that Bachus pointed us to. I could swear (using the same audio interface, Alesis I/O 26) that the same audio coming out of Cakewalk sounds better (IDENTICAL TO THE ORIGINAL) than the same exact thing recorded in REAPER. Is this possible? Same settings (4400/24bit), same signal, same everything. Could the two DAWS (audio engines) be processing the data differently? It's not that Reaper is bad, it's that Cakewalk sounds better. Any light you can shed on this? Thanks.

chas
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Abacus, Bachus, and any other 'geeks' out there :) - 07/04/18 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By cgiles
I'm a regular and committed user of REAPER and I have been recently toying around with that version of CAKEWALK that Bachus pointed us to. I could swear (using the same audio interface, Alesis I/O 26) that the same audio coming out of Cakewalk sounds better (IDENTICAL TO THE ORIGINAL) than the same exact thing recorded in REAPER. Is this possible? Same settings (4400/24bit), same signal, same everything. Could the two DAWS (audio engines) be processing the data differently? It's not that Reaper is bad, it's that Cakewalk sounds better. Any light you can shed on this? Thanks.

chas

Thats quite well possible... it very much depends on your settings... but in general there is allways some dsp happening inside the daw...
Posted by: abacus

Re: Abacus, Bachus, and any other 'geeks' out there :) - 07/05/18 02:24 AM

As Bachus says, however it could also be a placebo effect in that you find the Cakewalk software to be easier and friendlier than Reaper, (Which is not the most user friendly) and thus getting a bit of elation effect. (Most likely the processing though)

Bill
Posted by: SAM CA

Re: Abacus, Bachus, and any other 'geeks' out there :) - 07/05/18 06:58 AM

Just import both versions in your DAW and phase-reverse one. Line them up on your timeline and play back the session with both tracks on. If they cancel out each other, that means they're identical recordings indeed....if you hear anything, that means one track is a bit different...
Posted by: Bachus

Re: Abacus, Bachus, and any other 'geeks' out there :) - 07/05/18 09:16 AM

Originally Posted By SAM CA
Just import both versions in your DAW and phase-reverse one. Line them up on your timeline and play back the session with both tracks on. If they cancel out each other, that means they're identical recordings indeed....if you hear anything, that means one track is a bit different...
i like this idea...
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Abacus, Bachus, and any other 'geeks' out there :) - 07/05/18 10:16 AM

I think I'm going to try it. Thanks to all of you.

chas