SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#454156 - 06/30/18 11:12 AM Way off topic: What is wrong with people?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've been waiting three weeks, after several promises, for a guy to show up to install a gauge on my boat.
I've been waiting four days for a guy to come repair a leaking icemaker that he installed about two weeks ago. Two promises there.
I bought a new Laser Rangefinder (golf gadget). It arrived Friday morning and didn't work. I made a call to the seller, a company in Dallas. They said the tech was at lunch and would call me within the hour. Three hours later I called again and was told he was on the line with another customers and would call me immediately when he got off. No call.
My Direct TV main receiver has a problem. I called Wednesday and after being on the phone with them for an hour, was told it would be escalated to the highest level and to expect a call "soon". Is four days soon? It isn't a terrible problem but . . .
I just got back from the auto mechanic. AC was not cooling. Two weeks ago they couldn't find a leak and filled it with refrigerant. A hundred bucks!
One week later it was blowing hot again. I took it back and they said I needed a new compressor ($486.) O.K. it is an older vehicle and that wasn't surprising. It blew cold for one week and then again last night quit cooling. Took it back today and they said a line was blown. Needs a new line but they can't get it until Monday. The part is another $200. At least they said there would be no charge for labor and it is expected to take several hours since the line is hard to reach.
I seem to be "snakebit". smile I think if I ran my business like any of the first four, I wouldn't be in business very long.
Just venting, nothing critical. smile

#454157 - 06/30/18 11:19 AM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: DonM]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Any one is bad enough, but this string of bad luck should last you for a very long time.

On the other hand, it is not so much bad luck, as bad service, like you say. Totally disgraceful.

Edited by Bernie9 (06/30/18 11:22 AM)

#454160 - 06/30/18 12:29 PM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
That's terrible Don, but I don't think it's just the service industry (terrible though it is). But I've starting to think more and more that a lot of things that used to literally last a lifetime, now seem to be deliberately designed to last for the duration of the warranty. You used to have to run over a refrigerator or a toaster with a Mack truck to get it to stop working smile. Remember Sears tools? They'd replace them after 20 years of use if they ever broke. That old saying, "they don't make 'em like they used to" may be truer than we think. And (to your point), remember when a local service person OR company told you something or made you a promise, you could actually believe it.

In all fairness (and to make this post relevant to this forum smile ), we have been very lucky with the general reliability of our musical equipment, at least by the 'big three' manufacturers.

Hang in there Don, you're due for a stretch of GOOD luck smile.

chas

#454161 - 06/30/18 12:54 PM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: DonM]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Remember the days when we could "fix" stuff ourselves? Technology is great until it "ain't" working! Living in the "boondocks" is also a real "game changer."

Oh well, our Grandaughter's little dog lived after being bitten by a Rattlesnake (twice) near the house at their ranch near Marble Falls. Now they have the anti-venom treatments to save lives from such events. Pretty darn expensive, though.

Yep... I understand the problem. We do spend way too much time on the phone trying to get "customer service" people to do their jobs. Hang in there Don. The good news... you don't really need that stinkin' range finder... Mr. "Dead-Eye" Mason... King of the Course!

#454162 - 06/30/18 01:13 PM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Those days are gone I'm afraid. I'm a hacker now, and thinking seriously about giving it up. The fish don't know how old I am, so maybe I'll do more of that.

#454163 - 06/30/18 01:15 PM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: Riceroni9]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
One underlying problem that many people don't realize is the fact that there are not enough tradesmen, mechanics, and technicians to satisfy the need ...
Everyone is going to college, when college isn't for everyone ... We have to start removing the 'stigma' of no college degree, and make kids realize that there are opportunities for success and financial reward in the trades ...
We also have to re-instill the idea of respect in responding to calls and living up to one's word regarding keeping appointments ...

#454165 - 06/30/18 01:20 PM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
That's terrible Don, but I don't think it's just the service industry (terrible though it is). But I've starting to think more and more that a lot of things that used to literally last a lifetime, now seem to be deliberately designed to last for the duration of the warranty. You used to have to run over a refrigerator or a toaster with a Mack truck to get it to stop working smile. Remember Sears tools? They'd replace them after 20 years of use if they ever broke. That old saying, "they don't make 'em like they used to" may be truer than we think. And (to your point), remember when a local service person OR company told you something or made you a promise, you could actually believe it.

In all fairness (and to make this post relevant to this forum smile ), we have been very lucky with the general reliability of our musical equipment, at least by the 'big three' manufacturers.

Hang in there Don, you're due for a stretch of GOOD luck smile.

chas

Chas, I've had literally zero problems from musical gear. At least other than the Ketron fiasco that was caused by it being released too soon.
To be fair, the icemaker guy and the boat guy are both friends of mine and have gone out of their way in the past to help when needed. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt but I will insert a sharp needle when they finally do show up. smile
And, I suppose I shouldn't be too upset about the car, since it just turned 200,000 miles and has been very little trouble. Still looks and drives like new. Only new ones like that cost $60,000! Not an option. smile
I remember well the Sears policy. It's a shame but I think they are sinking pretty rapidly. Closing stores all over. It's hard to compete with the internet.
I can remember WalMart doing that too, but no longer. And, there was a big store in Atlanta that was famous for honoring returns. I forget the name, maybe Rich's?

#454167 - 06/30/18 02:17 PM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: DonM]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I agree with Tony. We can't all be Doctors, Lawyers and Engineers... or Social Workers. Good Technicians, Carpenters and Plumbers, to mention a few, are in "short supply." In fact, most good plumbers make more than Doctors... unless the Medical Speciality involves Brain Surgery... LOL! (Send one my way, please!)

It looks like many of the Junior Colleges and Community Colleges are beginning to recognize this need. If and when we get back all those manufacturing jobs from "offshore"... we will need a highly educated, technically proficient cadre of folks ready to fill this gap.

When I was out of high school, I could have taken one of the many fairly high paying jobs available then. We had plenty of good manufacturing plants scattered all over the country then. Lets hope it returns to that level soon.

Don mentioned competing with "Internet Based" companies... and I wonder if the new law about taxation will begin to level the playing field? It may be too late for Sears to recover but I like being able to go into a store and look at the merchandise before buying. (Same with Keyboards and Music Gear!)

Have a great weekend, guys. Still loving that S970!

#454168 - 06/30/18 02:37 PM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: DonM]
Rustykeys Offline

Loc: Massachusetts/USA
Unfortunately this country of the working class just don't give a shit(sorry for the swear). It's for sure a lazy mans college educated business degree that's not good enough to wipe my ass. If I treated my customers like that and after being trained and work with my Dad who was one of the greatest generation and i'm sure most of our senior keyboardist are, he would have had his foot buried up my ass and smacking me silly. So if you say you'll be there and do the job right the 1st time ( he hated doing things twice ) Do Just That if not your word don't mean squat. Don if it were me i'd be shopping for a new vehicle JMO

#454173 - 06/30/18 05:25 PM Re: Way off topic: What is wrong with people? [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By DonM
I've been waiting three weeks, after several promises, for a guy to show up to install a gauge on my boat.
I've been waiting four days for a guy to come repair a leaking icemaker that he installed about two weeks ago. Two promises there.
I bought a new Laser Rangefinder (golf gadget). It arrived Friday morning and didn't work. I made a call to the seller, a company in Dallas. They said the tech was at lunch and would call me within the hour. Three hours later I called again and was told he was on the line with another customers and would call me immediately when he got off. No call.
My Direct TV main receiver has a problem. I called Wednesday and after being on the phone with them for an hour, was told it would be escalated to the highest level and to expect a call "soon". Is four days soon? It isn't a terrible problem but . . .
I just got back from the auto mechanic. AC was not cooling. Two weeks ago they couldn't find a leak and filled it with refrigerant. A hundred bucks!
One week later it was blowing hot again. I took it back and they said I needed a new compressor ($486.) O.K. it is an older vehicle and that wasn't surprising. It blew cold for one week and then again last night quit cooling. Took it back today and they said a line was blown. Needs a new line but they can't get it until Monday. The part is another $200. At least they said there would be no charge for labor and it is expected to take several hours since the line is hard to reach.
I seem to be "snakebit". smile I think if I ran my business like any of the first four, I wouldn't be in business very long.
Just venting, nothing critical. smile

I was in business for more than 50 years... Honesty is very important and I always keep my word.. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online