SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#454067 - 06/28/18 10:42 AM Recommendation for specific Praise and Worship
nckhrs Offline

Loc: CA, USA
Dear All,

I would like to ask for a recommendation for arranger for specific praise and worship need (style and budget).

I have searched the forum and I have some ideas, but I would appreciate any inputs and insights based on your experience, especially because I am so behind in arranger development.

In the past I used Roland E series (E-16 and E-35) and Korg i30s. I am a hobbyist and I serve/play in prayer meeting (10 - 30 people) and occasionally at a small church.

The music I played is mostly Integrity/Maranatha/Hillsong type. I plan to play some new contemporary songs.

My budget is $800, perhaps I can stretch up to $1100 if I really have to (this is a personal budget).

Back then, I tried Yamaha(old PSR) and Casio(DGX), but somehow their sound quality is not as realistic as Roland E-16. I like Korg i30s, especially the key feel, the built, but I felt it's a bit too heavy and a bit too sophisticated.

Btw, I also used Kurzweil MicroPiano sound module. I really love the piano sound and the piano-string bounce

Usually I played alone, but sometimes I have a guitarist who played with me. I used the full-band for praise, and piano or piano-string for worship.

I checked many demo videos, but many times they don't play in the way I would play, thus I don't have any exposure of the styles for my need.

So, here are what I have in mind, please give your suggestion and reasons to open my horizon:
1. Roland E 09, BK-3, VA-5 or VA-7.
2. Korg PA50, PA300.
3. Any Yamaha/Casio perhaps?
3. Other brand(s) or model(s)?

Note: I don't look for sound customization. But style import/upgrade sounds very neat. My focus is style, great sound, easy to use, and portable. Layering sound feature is also preferred. Also MIDI output is a must (to drive Kurzweil MicroPiano).

P.S.: I live in U.S.

Thank you so much! smile

Edited by nckhrs (06/28/18 11:08 AM)
'For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere' (Psalm 84:10, ESV)

Past: Roland (E-10, E-16, E-38), Korg i30s.
Current: Roland BK-5, Kurzweil MicroPiano.

#454076 - 06/28/18 01:18 PM Re: Recommendation for specific Praise and Worship [Re: nckhrs]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
IMO you're aiming too low. For more customizability stick with Middle of the Line (MOTL) arrangers.

So... don't waste your time with the E-09 or BK-3. The VA-5 and VA-7 are heavy-ish and quite old now, no USB, etc. I would look for the Roland BK-5, the new E-A7 if you can afford it.

In the Korg lineup, I would look at PA600 or better. Probably a Pa800 or even Pa2X for reasons of keyfeel. There should be some in your price range. The PA50 is old and heavy by comparison.

You could probably find a Yamaha PSR-S7xx or PSR-S9xx in that price range, but I think you'll be put off by the spongy keys.

Casio isn't known for great feel or a durable keybed. But their top-line MZ-X500 is in that price range. Good luck. If you try any of these and end up buying one, please share your experience and decision thought process.

#454077 - 06/28/18 02:00 PM Re: Recommendation for specific Praise and Worship [Re: TedS]
nckhrs Offline

Originally Posted By TedS
IMO you're aiming too low. For more customizability stick with Middle of the Line (MOTL) arrangers.

So... don't waste your time with the E-09 or BK-3. The VA-5 and VA-7 are heavy-ish and quite old now, no USB, etc. I would look for the Roland BK-5, the new E-A7 if you can afford it.

In the Korg lineup, I would look at PA600 or better. Probably a Pa800 or even Pa2X for reasons of keyfeel. There should be some in your price range. The PA50 is old and heavy by comparison.

You could probably find a Yamaha PSR-S7xx or PSR-S9xx in that price range, but I think you'll be put off by the spongy keys.

Casio isn't known for great feel or a durable keybed. But their top-line MZ-X500 is in that price range. Good luck. If you try any of these and end up buying one, please share your experience and decision thought process.

Thank you so much, Ted. You really know what I am looking for, even considering my preferred key feel smile
I agree, spongy key may turn me off completely.

Btw, how reliability of BK-5, EA-7, Pa600/800, and Ps2X? I mean, is it OK to get them used? I know that old Roland E and G series are super reliable (E-16, E-66, E-86, E-96, G-800).

I will share my experience and decision thought process.
'For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere' (Psalm 84:10, ESV)

#454085 - 06/28/18 05:34 PM Re: Recommendation for specific Praise and Worship [Re: nckhrs]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
I concur with the above recommendation for your budget, but I'll narrow down to Roland E-A7 for your needs. I use the E-A7 for praise and worship that requires quick adjustments of instrumentations, tempos, etc. Lots of real-time controls compared to its rivals on the same group. Portable, lightweight and simpler to use. Hammer is selling his mint E-A7, check the For Sale section and that may fit your budget.

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#454092 - 06/28/18 06:31 PM Re: Recommendation for specific Praise and Worship [Re: synerjim]
nckhrs Offline

Originally Posted By synerjim
I concur with the above recommendation for your budget, but I'll narrow down to Roland E-A7 for your needs. I use the E-A7 for praise and worship that requires quick adjustments of instrumentations, tempos, etc. Lots of real-time controls compared to its rivals on the same group. Portable, lightweight and simpler to use. Hammer is selling his mint E-A7, check the For Sale section and that may fit your budget.

Oh wow, spot on Jim! smile
Yep, I need those quick adjustment features, forgot to mention in my original post. I sent PM to hammer.

Thanks a lot! smile

#454126 - 06/29/18 10:12 AM Re: Recommendation for specific Praise and Worship [Re: nckhrs]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By nckhrs
[quote=TedS]

That narrows your search. Exclude anything with a "PSR" in the name.
(very serious)

#454132 - 06/29/18 03:08 PM Re: Recommendation for specific Praise and Worship [Re: Uncle Dave]
nckhrs Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By nckhrs
[quote=TedS]

That narrows your search. Exclude anything with a "PSR" in the name.
(very serious)

Thanks Dave smile
Well, I do try to love them. I haven't tried any PSR recently, I plan to visit local music store this weekend, maybe I'll warm up to them.

How's the sound quality in the recent PSR (last 5 years)?

#454133 - 06/29/18 03:19 PM Re: Recommendation for specific Praise and Worship [Re: nckhrs]
Uncle Dave Offline

Sound quality is top notch ... key feel - um, not so much. Short throw. Spongy bottom. Made for Bikini Bottom.
smile

#454134 - 06/29/18 04:24 PM Re: Recommendation for specific Praise and Worship [Re: Uncle Dave]
nckhrs Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Sound quality is top notch ... key feel - um, not so much. Short throw. Spongy bottom. Made for Bikini Bottom.
smile

You're hilarious rotfl

Somehow what I feel on my fingers affects how I perceive the quality of the sound. Next time the doctor run MRI on me perhaps he will find a nerve connection from my fingers to my ears (I know, dry joke, as dry as Nevadan desert) smile

#454147 - 06/30/18 07:10 AM Re: Recommendation for specific Praise and Worship [Re: nckhrs]
Uncle Dave Offline

Key feel ABSOLUTELY influences my perception of sound as I play. Whether the audience knows it or not, is not the issue. The way I feel affects the way I play, and if the keys don't bite back a little, and hit bottom with a solid thump ... it changes my approach. This topic comes up often on this forum, and you'll get many opinions, but for me ... it's not just the lightness or weight of the keys that I judge - it's the stiffness, the wobble, the length, the throw ... so many factors, and sadly, Yamaha and Casio are the two worst offenders in my book. Unless you go with a Tyros (or maybe Genos - dunno - haven't touched one), you get the lower end keybed, and for me, it's unacceptable. Casio ... don't even get me started. The pianos are "OK" (noisy, after time), but the synths are dreadful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online