SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#45085 - 02/07/04 01:12 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Brucey Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 01/16/04
Posts: 14
Loc: Brisbane, Australia
you are lucky to get an email from Chris Whitehead - i have been waiting six weeks for
a response

Bruce

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
I have just received an email from Chris Whitehead, at Technics UK. with reference to KN7000 Operating System Updates : QUOTE.

"As you are probably aware, we monitor places like Synthzone and I have recently noticed complaints about lack of a UK Update for the KN7000 operating system.

In the UK we have always asked UK customers to contact there Technics Dealer,(preferably the one from whom they purchased the Keyboard) to ask for the latest software update. This is mainly because the disks are made at Technics UK and are fully tested and certified.
I understand that Synthzone members may be very computer literate and are
competent at doing this, however we have many more customers who either do not own a computer or are not competent enough to do this.
We have had many complaints from customers who have downloaded updates from various websites in the past and wiped or corrupted the operating system, during the updating process and have not been able to restore it, with out our assistance.

Can I also offer my Email Address, which I believe has been posted here before. If any one in the UK has any issues with Technics Keyboards or the service we provide please contact me at chris.whitehead@panasonic.co.uk"


Top
#45086 - 02/07/04 06:51 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
ogre Offline
Member

Registered: 01/18/02
Posts: 242
Loc: UK
Think I must be singularly blessed - sent email to Chris Whitehead and received reply within one hour!

Mine to him said " I expect you will know that Bill Norrie posted your email to him on the synthzone site, as a result of which I contacted my dealer as well as a couple of others and they all told me that they had never received updates from Technics. My dealer then contacted you (or your office) and told me that he had no joy.
When I had my 6000 I obtained updates directly from Technics (they had the Technics logo printed on them). the one snag with these was that we were never told what fault/bugs were corrected and the only noticeable improvement was in chord recognition.
"Would it not be possible to make 7000 updates available on the 7000 site and also post the floppies to those that ask for them?"

Reply was "Please let me know which dealer you contacted. As you are aware there are many departments in Panasonic and I believe this is the major problem that some dealers or the sales people don't know who to contact to get these updates.

If you are aware of any other customers with this problem please let me know who the dealers are so we can resolve this problem."

So........ this finally confirms that official updates from Technics were available, and that they should have been sent to all dealers (obviously not)and presumably the dealers should have advised their customers.

My fellow customers - suggest we all bombard our dealers and try to get things moving this way.

I forgot to mention to Chris that updates were also available from the old Technote site, and I can't understand why Technics don't do this also.

For myself I intend to wait a couple of days to let things filter through and then get onto my dealer again. Will keep you posted.

Don't we have fun?

Peter
_________________________
Peter

Top
#45087 - 02/07/04 08:04 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Bill Norrie Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 01/16/02
Posts: 2275
Loc: Richmond,North Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Brucey:
you are lucky to get an email from Chris Whitehead - i have been waiting six weeks for
a response

Bruce


Hi Bruce, I just wonder if Chris's email is configured to only receive emails from UK ?
I've emailed him your email address and asked him to contact you.....



------------------
Willum
_________________________
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

Top
#45088 - 02/07/04 03:11 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Audrey Turner Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 03/19/02
Posts: 1080
Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I have been reading postings on the updates and my question is - are the updates critical?

Dare I say it, my KN7 is the best keyboard I've had so far and works well with the SD card giving great pleasure to a number of people without problems so I would not want to "upset the apple cart" by loading an unnecessary update.

Aud

Top
#45089 - 02/07/04 04:07 PM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Bill Norrie Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 01/16/02
Posts: 2275
Loc: Richmond,North Yorkshire, UK
Hi Audrey, As has been said many times here : If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

------------------
Willum
_________________________
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

Top
#45090 - 02/08/04 03:36 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Mike ORegan Offline
Member

Registered: 02/12/03
Posts: 96
All this should come as no surprise to long-term Technics customers. Technics (UK?) have a long history of this sort of cavalier attitude to both dealers and customers. Back in the days of the 3000, they constantly maintained that there were no upgrades which actually existed in the form of replacement EPROMs. Dealers were advised to dissuade customers from enquiring about upgrades.
Hers is a little tale which you may find interesting. A few years ago I ran a User Club for Yamaha keyboards. Although the Club was truly independent, Yamaha recognised it as a valuable addition to customer service. On one occasion they invited my and some members to spend a day with them in Milton Keynes. We were asked about our keyboards and our hosts took careful note of all our suggestions for improvements, some of which appeared in later models. At the end of the day, I was provided with a large box containing 30 tee-shirts, 30 digital watches, and 30 hand-made Japanese fans. All of this with no strings attached.
Compare this with another little story. A pupil of mine was the proud owner of a Technics keyboard with which she entertained many old-folks homes, etc. Her father contacted Technics to ask if they would consider supplying her with a tee-shirt or baseball-cap to wear for her concerts. He was more-or-less told to sod off!!
Could it be that Technics attitude to dealers and customers contributed in some small measure to their demise?
Mike O'R

Top
#45091 - 02/08/04 11:43 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
technicsplayer Offline
Senior Member

Registered: 01/17/02
Posts: 3319
I remember upgrading eproms on both 2000 and 3000 and had no problems obtaining them at all, and never found anyone claiming they did not exist. Just my experience.

Top
#45092 - 02/09/04 02:39 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Brucey Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 01/16/04
Posts: 14
Loc: Brisbane, Australia
updates available here http://www.panasonic.com.au/support/downloads/results.cfm

not everyone can get to a technics dealer chris - especially in Australia - these updates should be available from panasonics or the technote websites - that is so easy and simple for all - you know the KISS principle.

Bruce
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
I have just received an email from Chris Whitehead, at Technics UK. with reference to KN7000 Operating System Updates : QUOTE.

"As you are probably aware, we monitor places like Synthzone and I have recently noticed complaints about lack of a UK Update for the KN7000 operating system.

In the UK we have always asked UK customers to contact there Technics Dealer,(preferably the one from whom they purchased the Keyboard) to ask for the latest software update. This is mainly because the disks are made at Technics UK and are fully tested and certified.
I understand that Synthzone members may be very computer literate and are
competent at doing this, however we have many more customers who either do not own a computer or are not competent enough to do this.
We have had many complaints from customers who have downloaded updates from various websites in the past and wiped or corrupted the operating system, during the updating process and have not been able to restore it, with out our assistance.

Can I also offer my Email Address, which I believe has been posted here before. If any one in the UK has any issues with Technics Keyboards or the service we provide please contact me at chris.whitehead@panasonic.co.uk"


Top
#45093 - 02/12/04 10:18 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
ogre Offline
Member

Registered: 01/18/02
Posts: 242
Loc: UK
Sorry for the delay in coming back (see my post above of 7th).

My dealer tells me that Chris Whitehead failed to phone him so, the dealer phoned Chris. He wasn't available but the dealer was told that Technics/Panasonic did not have any updates and in any case these were no longer available.
No comment.

Peter
_________________________
Peter

Top
#45094 - 02/12/04 10:42 AM Re: How to receive KN7000 OS Updates in UK
Gunnar Jonny Online   content
Senior Member

Registered: 04/01/01
Posts: 3118
Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by ogre:
.....Technics/Panasonic did not have any updates and in any case these were no longer available.


??????
Do that mean no more in stock?
And I who thought the updates was electronic
software just to copy as many as needed.......
GJ
_________________________
Cheers & Happy Playing. smile
GJ
_______________________________________________
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Top
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 



Help keep Synth Zone Online