SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#450282 - 04/12/18 09:38 AM my Monday night startling discovery
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I made a startling discovery. I was playing on Monday night at a large catering house. I did strolling accordion in the “rooms” while a guitarist OMB played the main lobby.

So I’m going back and forth and each time I passed the guitarist I made note of what he was doing. He was a real nice fellow so at the end of the gig we talked about his equipment. He had the latest: Bose L2, a suitcase full of brand new foot pedals in a tray on the floor, etc.....really nice sound. Good singer, picked great 60’s and 70’s songs…..I just liked his whole presentation.....not to mention he was getting paid $500 for the gig.

So what was my “discovery.” You know how I’m always going on about “breaks and fills” in your music? I suddenly noticed, this fellow had none. Then I noticed no rhythm machine, or so I thought. He pointed to one of those new units that pack (?) rhythms into a small package about the size of an overseas postage stamp and he had it attached to his mike stand. I mean I wouldn’t use one of those if they gave them out as free samples! But, I have to say, he sounded real good just using that little unit.

What I’m saying is I learned a lesson. When you’re playing for an audience……NO ONE NOTICES the technology of your rhythm machine.....they’re just busy listening to the melody. If you’re doing recording, then, yes, the rhythm track IS important. But.....only to the listener and to YOU.

Interesting observation by me, but I’m not sure what to do with that now. I suppose you can’t really play your best without proper backing, but.....I’m really worn out of all this “comparison talk.....which keyboard, microphone, software, etc is better. Even though I have a PA3x I’m still playing my 20 year old Roland arranger and no one even notices it could be classified as a genuine antique by now.

The plus side of playing an “antique” is that you work harder to make your musical presentation completely palatable. I guess it’s something like “technology or skill”.....which works best for you and which is more practical?

I have to re-think everything now. This is a world where no one really notices or cares about anything anymore.....bad singing, bad sound system, bad beat boxes. And then there's how you dress, bad food, potholes, foul language, did all of someone’s teeth fall out?..... In the music world, where "no one notices or cares," I think the answer is to buy a simple Korg Microarranger that does it all, cheap, you can carry it in your lunchbox, and it even tells you where your wife is on a Saturday night!

#450288 - 04/12/18 11:27 AM Re: my Monday night startling discovery [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

No surprise here....I saw this all coming many years ago....
times have changed get on the train or get left behind.

#450290 - 04/12/18 11:54 AM Re: my Monday night startling discovery [Re: Mark79100]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
I have noticed this also and see entertainers show up for work looking like they just go done working on their car.
Sorry not me. I will dress for the job, play my best and do every thing I can to make the people happy. That's why I keep jobs for years and not just a one night gig. If you don't care. I say stay home.
To quote a great man "BE SO GOOD THEY CAN'T IGNORE YOU"

MEL

Edited by organgrinder (04/12/18 11:55 AM)

#450293 - 04/12/18 12:35 PM Re: my Monday night startling discovery [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

Donny....really.....get on WHAT train? The train to mediocrity? You don't need a train for that. We're already there. Society is not PROGRESSING....it's REGRESSING. You don't get on a train to go to MEDIOCRITY. You just let yourself and your music go to pieces.

The best you can to is SUSTAIN the status quo....like Mel. If you have any respect for yourself and others, you don't join the crowd. You LEAD the crowd!

#450298 - 04/12/18 01:15 PM Re: my Monday night startling discovery [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100
Originally Posted By Dnj

Donny....really.....get on WHAT train? The train to mediocrity? You don't need a train for that. We're already there. Society is not PROGRESSING....it's REGRESSING. You don't get on a train to go to MEDIOCRITY. You just let yourself and your music go to pieces.

The best you can to is SUSTAIN the status quo....like Mel. If you have any respect for yourself and others, you don't join the crowd. You LEAD the crowd!

We all have our views,....just survive and enjoy life, thinking too much gives me a headache....
worry about yourself & your family nobody else cares.

all the best

Edited by Dnj (04/12/18 01:15 PM)

#450302 - 04/12/18 02:32 PM Re: my Monday night startling discovery [Re: Mark79100]
zuki Offline

I truly believe people can hear the difference in quality between players, but rank it low. Here's how I see it out there:

This is geared toward the old folks I play for:

1. Showmanship / Appearance
2. Song selection
3. Singer
4. Player
5. Equipment

Edited by zuki (04/12/18 02:37 PM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#450303 - 04/12/18 02:35 PM Re: my Monday night startling discovery [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

thinking too much gives me a headache....

Okay, THAT explains THAT smile.

Originally Posted By Dnj

So Donny, get many calls to do motivational speeches? smile smile

chas

#450304 - 04/12/18 03:00 PM Re: my Monday night startling discovery [Re: cgiles]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
At one time I worried about what the other musicians brought to the job, how they were dressed, what songs they were playing, and how they were dressed. Thank God I have grown out of that. Over the years I have learned much from the people on this forum; most of the time it is a good safe place to be. (smile)

I live by:
1-I used a good instrument, choose the song I like, and I sing my heart out.
2-I never relied on my playing career to support my family.
Guitar Instructor – Piano tuner – Music store --- selling securities.

This allowed me to pick and choose the jobs I wanted to play – it allowed me to enjoy my work.

Like most things in life, this story was not about what’s out there, it is about me.
Only me opinion, John C.

#450305 - 04/12/18 03:12 PM Re: my Monday night startling discovery [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj

thinking too much gives me a headache....

Okay, THAT explains THAT smile.

Originally Posted By Dnj

So Donny, get many calls to do motivational speeches? smile smile

chas

The only person I have to motivate is myself..

#450307 - 04/12/18 04:35 PM Re: my Monday night startling discovery [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
This has been discussed before and Zuki's list is right on. I would change # 2 and 3 but it can work either way.
People just want ot be entertained and generally don't care how you do it. If the Guitar Players songs hit the mark, if his voice was good, guitar playing adequate, then we finally get to the drum machine. See where I'm going with this.? Lots of the equipment we go crazy over is more for us than anything else but we need to be happy with what we're using.
You strolling with the Accordian is a great entertainment factor in the right situations. Different ways to entertain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online