I made a startling discovery. I was playing on Monday night at a large catering house. I did strolling accordion in the “rooms” while a guitarist OMB played the main lobby.

So I’m going back and forth and each time I passed the guitarist I made note of what he was doing. He was a real nice fellow so at the end of the gig we talked about his equipment. He had the latest: Bose L2, a suitcase full of brand new foot pedals in a tray on the floor, etc.....really nice sound. Good singer, picked great 60’s and 70’s songs…..I just liked his whole presentation.....not to mention he was getting paid $500 for the gig.

So what was my “discovery.” You know how I’m always going on about “breaks and fills” in your music? I suddenly noticed, this fellow had none. Then I noticed no rhythm machine, or so I thought. He pointed to one of those new units that pack (?) rhythms into a small package about the size of an overseas postage stamp and he had it attached to his mike stand. I mean I wouldn’t use one of those if they gave them out as free samples! But, I have to say, he sounded real good just using that little unit.

What I’m saying is I learned a lesson. When you’re playing for an audience……NO ONE NOTICES the technology of your rhythm machine.....they’re just busy listening to the melody. If you’re doing recording, then, yes, the rhythm track IS important. But.....only to the listener and to YOU.

Interesting observation by me, but I’m not sure what to do with that now. I suppose you can’t really play your best without proper backing, but.....I’m really worn out of all this “comparison talk.....which keyboard, microphone, software, etc is better. Even though I have a PA3x I’m still playing my 20 year old Roland arranger and no one even notices it could be classified as a genuine antique by now.

The plus side of playing an “antique” is that you work harder to make your musical presentation completely palatable. I guess it’s something like “technology or skill”.....which works best for you and which is more practical?

I have to re-think everything now. This is a world where no one really notices or cares about anything anymore.....bad singing, bad sound system, bad beat boxes. And then there's how you dress, bad food, potholes, foul language, did all of someone’s teeth fall out?..... In the music world, where "no one notices or cares," I think the answer is to buy a simple Korg Microarranger that does it all, cheap, you can carry it in your lunchbox, and it even tells you where your wife is on a Saturday night!