SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#447611 - 02/28/18 05:45 PM Re: Lets Talk About Using Band-In-a-Box 2018 [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Donny, basically could be used straight away. Type in Chord progression , pick style, press play instant backing. Don’t like the style, choose a different one.

But there is also a lot of depth to it , if you want to explore, it can do so much. You can do as little or as much as you want.

Put it this way if what I needed was backing tracks for vocals or an instrument, or I was a songwriter , I’d probably be more inclined to choose biab over an arranger keyboard.

But, I enjoy playing keyboards, so they’re my focus.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#447639 - 03/01/18 06:45 AM Re: Lets Talk About Using Band-In-a-Box 2018 [Re: rikkisbears]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Hi Donny, basically could be used straight away. Type in Chord progression , pick style, press play instant backing. Don’t like the style, choose a different one.

But there is also a lot of depth to it , if you want to explore, it can do so much. You can do as little or as much as you want.

Put it this way if what I needed was backing tracks for vocals or an instrument, or I was a songwriter , I’d probably be more inclined to choose biab over an arranger keyboard.

But, I enjoy playing keyboards, so they’re my focus.

Thanx Rikki,....I can certainly see how this could be very useful to some for many reasons as you well know. It's loaded with features to explore. I don't see a Trial version? but I am thinking about it.

Thank you

#447640 - 03/01/18 06:55 AM Re: Lets Talk About Using Band-In-a-Box 2018 [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

BIAB controlling a TYROS....interesting?

#447707 - 03/01/18 03:26 PM Re: Lets Talk About Using Band-In-a-Box 2018 [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Donny
Basically what we were referring to, biab chords and your keyboard follows it.
Didn’t watch the whole thing, but I used to have mine playing a mix of biab tracks and keyboard tracks iei I was using a country style on my pa800, I could mute the guitar track or drum track , whatever and replace it with suitable real track from biab to play instead.
Only useful for recording purposes.

No, there isn’t a demo, but they’re pretty confident in their product, they offer you a 30 day money back guarantee. I’m guessing your activation code mustn’t work after the 30 days, or maybe some sort of limitation, don’t really know, how that part works.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#447710 - 03/01/18 04:55 PM Re: Lets Talk About Using Band-In-a-Box 2018 [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Thanx Rikki you have been very helpful as always ....

#447712 - 03/01/18 06:29 PM Re: Lets Talk About Using Band-In-a-Box 2018 [Re: Dnj]
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
I have been using BiaB for 4 years now to make backing tracks for videos and recordings in my home studio. One of the best parts about BiaB, imo, is the ability to import the tracks you create into any DAW for further manipulation/processing or for adding vocals or other instruments and for mixing. You can import each instrument to its own track in your DAW by simply dragging the appropriate track into your DAW package.

I also use BiaB as a practice tool for my saxophone and with my piano. The ability to easily make a backing track to any progression and then play it back at any speed is quite useful. I know you can also easily do this with an arranger, but BiaB lets me input progressions that I couldn't easily play on an arranger (keyboards aren't really my forte). blush

The user forum is also quite friendly and extremely helpful.

BiaB does A LOT of things, and because of this, the interface can be a bit busy and confusing. It also has a few quirks, but on the whole I find it quite useful for what I do, and I am a fan, to be sure. bow

I did the backing track for this vid with BiaB. I recorded the saxophone directly into BiaB using its audio record feature. I then synced the resulting track to the video using Windows Movie Maker. Because I was particularly lazy that day, I even used Biab's Auto Song Title Generation feature to give my video a title. wink

The best time to buy BiaB is in December when PGMusic offers it at a significant discount - something on the order of 30 or 40 percent off.

Dan

Edited by big741.1 (03/01/18 06:40 PM)

#447713 - 03/01/18 06:43 PM Re: Lets Talk About Using Band-In-a-Box 2018 [Re: big741.1]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dan sort of a bit like my point earlier, if one doesn’t actually play keyboards, biab would possibly be a better alternative for backing than going to the expense of buying a good quality arranger keyboard.

Totally agree, the forum is very helpful.

Do you ever use Real Band?

Edited by rikkisbears (03/01/18 06:44 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#447714 - 03/01/18 06:51 PM Re: Lets Talk About Using Band-In-a-Box 2018 [Re: rikkisbears]
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Hi Dan sort of a bit like my point earlier, if one doesn’t actually play keyboards, biab would possibly be a better alternative for backing than going to the expense of buying a good quality arranger keyboard.

Totally agree, the forum is very helpful.

Do you ever use Real Band?

Hi, rikki. I have poked around Real Band a little bit, but no, I really haven't used it very much. I am somewhat tempted to try and get more comfortable with it because of the added ability to regenerate just a part of a track instead of the whole track. I think you can do that with Real Band, anyway.

Dan

Edited by big741.1 (03/01/18 06:52 PM)

#447718 - 03/01/18 08:00 PM Re: Lets Talk About Using Band-In-a-Box 2018 [Re: big741.1]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dan, I haven’t used it in ages, but I vaguely remember I tried it out with gm midifiles . Because of its ability to generate individual biab tracks, I experimented with replacing a gm midifile track with biab real tracks. The midifiles had chord progressions, so the real tracks just followed the chord progression. I wasn’t reliant on realband guessing the chords. The audio drum tracks certainly sounded better than some of the old gm tracks.

Probably a better way of replacing an arranger track too instead of having keyboard midied to biad, just record the backing track on arranger , load into real band, and generate the real tracks required.

Slowly talking myself into getting my biab back out of mothballs again. Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#447719 - 03/01/18 08:02 PM Re: Lets Talk About Using Band-In-a-Box 2018 [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Rikki.... do you have the 2018 version there are certainly many new features.?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online